Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
fishdude

Angry Late report

Well went out Monday for the first time in a month, I never had that much trouble getting out of La Jolla, oh well. Water is clean and the temp is up seems like a good day. Get out there by 6:00 and it seems fishy, bait balls start busting by 7:30. See some nice big backs cruising pushing bait so I pick up the iron make a perfect throw and BAM I am on instantly. Hit like a mack track and pulling like a tractor, a few minutes of pulling and down she goes right into kelp that I can not see, but I can feel it on my line. No worries I have 30 lb spectra on, yeh right, fish proceeds to spin fcking charlottes web down there, before I know it I can not even feel the fish, again no big deal I have spectra on, well shit I start playing the game give line reel back up it will work its way out.
20 min later still locked down no sign of a pulse, completly knotted down there, pull pull pull SNAP , I thought I broke the rod, the line poped and I am in disbalief. I have never lost a fish in the kelp with braided, have pulled a dozen out, but this sucks.
Wide open bite on barries and bones but no other takers on yellows. La Jolla is hot right now and will probably get hotter with the grunion running this week.
Locked into work the rest of the week
Get out and get some should be a hell of a week. Good luck to all
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
aguachico

Where did the line snap?
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
lamb

ouch. Sorry to hear that.

For a long time, I was sticking with 30# spectra. My logic was it was strong enough to keep up with the majority of big fish we get opportunity to deal with... And I theorized that the lower profile/thinner spectra will slice through the kelp better.

I had one situation like yours, and I decided to move up to 40#. I figured thinner spectra has got to be more likely to be weaken by dings in the line, which are inevitable when loading your gear... or those friggen spectra backlashes...

I know a lot of folks that go with even stronger spectra. Something to consider.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Dennis

Matt? Was that you cussing up a storm?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
gary sullivan

I heard someone cussing 150 yards away. That's how I found the bite.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Bummer....
Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
fishdude

Yep that was me. I must have sounded like the kid from A Christmas Story when he was beating the crap out of the bully.

I dont get out much on the water and that is the third toad I have lost since Feb. due to freaky shit, well one was my fault, but really just bummed me out.
The Thresher on B day was cool, but still searching for the first yellow or white for the year.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Dennis

No worries Matt. You'll get them next time. I managed to lose some hefty fish that day. I did manage a 17lber. I have some for you, if you like. You still fish Tuesdays, or have your fishing days changed. See you on the water.
-D
Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks for the report, barries, and bonitos still fun to catch!

I went from #65 to #80 spectra, I hate losing fish!

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
fishdude

Yeh Dennis, I will be going out full bore Sunday, Monday and maybe Tues. morning if need be. Finally got a little break before the kiddie camps begin.
Let me know if you can make one of those days, or anyone else going out for that matter.