Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

Shelter Island trip today

So anyone who knows me knows that I always have a camera on me when I go fishing. Well, the batteries were dead so the camera did not make the trip.

I met up with Old Rookie at Shelter Island today to get in on the incoming and out going tide for some Kayak fishing. Day started out bad with the fish finder not working right, but I could see the water temp, other than that I think the transducer went out. So I drop a bait down and start getting tapped on the first cast, yup, lizard fish. Not a good way to start the day. So we drift down to one of the bay markers and I catch another lizard fish, this time I chose to try something. This 6" Lizard became bait. I pinned the thing on and dropped it to the bottom. 10 minutes later the rod goes nuts. I feel the head shake, and the weight and I start to see color so I grab the net thinking I have a huge Halibut, WRONG. Turns out I have one of these

Now if you have ever caught one of these or have done your homework on them you know they have some nasty teeth. I usually like to hang my feet in the water when I Kayak fish, this thing was trying to get them. So I pulled my feet back into the Kayak, get the pliers to release the shark and he starts to go after my hand. Heart pounds trying to prevent him from taking a bite I finally get the hook out.

About an hour later I hook a pretty good sized bat ray. It was fun because this thing towed me around a little bit. Finally he was released. I ended the day with 1 Angel Shark, 1 Bat Ray, 1 Spotted Bay Bass, and 4 Lizard fish. Not as good of a day as I would have liked, but I got to be out on the water fishing.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

WOW, that thing looks nasty lol, so no luck huh im going to be heading out next weekend if you want to meet up its going to be my first time kayak fishing-keep em crossed
Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

ok,
I give, what is it...looks like a dinosaur type shark, anyway looks cool, guess you didn't keep it, I wouldn't...I hope to make it down here shortly I will pm you hopefully we can hook up...
Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
ok,
I give, what is it...looks like a dinosaur type shark, anyway looks cool, guess you didn't keep it, I wouldn't...I hope to make it down here shortly I will pm you hopefully we can hook up...

Brett, that's an angel shark. About the meanest tempered fish you will ever come across. And they have a pretty gnarly set of dentures so if you ever catch one, be extremely cautious!
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Angel shark is actually quite good to eat. People think its a trash fish or similar to a guitar fish or other bottomdwelling shark but from the mid 70's to the mid 80's about 2 million of these fish were harvested for their flesh that is considered a delicacy. Its a rare catch its cool that their numbers are starting to bounce back.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote