Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Spyder

5/25 Another mixed bag and a PB for Sherm

Met up with Sherm at Shelter Island around 0500. About 20 other yakkers had beat us there . A group of guys from south bay holding an informal spottie tourney. That was fine with us because we were in search of the flat kind today.

Hit the water at about 0530 and paddled to one of our new favorite spots. I was trying out a new plastic today. Happy to report it worked killer, got a 18" sandie on the very 1st cast of the day with it.

We worked that area for the next six hours. While doing so I caught 7 different species. Nothing to write home about, just alot of and different feesh.

At one point I look over and see Sherm's got something good on his line. I start paddling over and watch as he pulls up one of the biggest sand bass I have ever seen . Pictures do not do this fish justice. It measured out just over 24", a freakin TOAD! He was careful handling it and after snapping a couple pics, it gave a huge tail splash while being releashed.

Just after that catch, DFG stopped by to say hi. They were pretty cool. All was in order including the 24" flattie Sherm had caught early on. I'll let Scott tell ya about his "girlfriend" that would NOT leave us alone the first part of the morning . We were off the water by 1130.

Counts for me were:
10 sandies (most between 14" & 18")
8 spotties (a couple fatties)
4 flatties (only one was reeeeeally close to being legal)
1 checker
1 yellow fin croaker
couple leezard feesh
couple green backs

Another fine morning spent fishing spent fishing with da wingman. I'll let him have the spotlight today. I had quantity & variety but he had the two trophy feesh of the day.

Peace ,

Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
the dude

incredible sandy. That thing owns the bay.
the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Sherm

Thanks for another good day fishin Jim. Too bad we didn't join that tourney........that sand bass would have won that division for sure. Oh well. That fish is still there getting bigger after the succesful release Great watching that fish realize I was no longer holding on to it and take off for the bottom with a good tail slap to say good buy. That was a HUGE turdroller for sure. It was a little over 24 inches and very heavy.

Fishing was pretty good.....even with the slight tide movement that went to slack while we were on the water. The big sandy bit just as the tide started to move again. Lots of other bass and a twenty four inch butt to take for ceviche.

Did get checked on the water by DFG. Everything in order and they sent us on our way. The only problem was the chick on the navy patrol boats. She kept buggin us about being too close to the island. Said we needed to stay 100yrds from shore. No problem....we could do that. But sometimes the drift takes you that way and when you get close you move again. Everytime I would be just inside the 100 yrd zone she would come over and hassle me. I saw a guy almost beching his yak he was so close and she never said a word to him. Good thing she was very cute and I didn't get an attitude. Maybe the good fishing also had something to do with it.

Great day finished off with a good cigar and good times with the wingman.

Fish Count:

4 Halibut (17-24in.)
13 Sand bass (12 to 24in)
9 Spotties (10-15in)

All C&R.........except one hali
Attached Images

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Nice
Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

Nice day on the water! A buddy invited me fishing Sunday if would cover 1/3 of the $150 fuel for his boat. I already had plans so had to pass. You guys caught a lot more fish then they did.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
steamroll

nice sandies sherm. 24 inches= 5 lb+
Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamroll View Post
nice sandies sherm. 24 inches= 5 lb+
I wondered what his weight would be. That fish was a pig. Even better watching him slap water in my face when he was released.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote