Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Bonking, Sugar and Hoopnetting...

When I hoop net I run five nets and pull a net every five minutes after an original thirty minute wait. I tend to hoop a long time usually around four hours. So figuring the distance I paddle running the nets and around fifty pulls in the average evening I get a pretty good workout.

A few times including my last trip I've essentially "Bonked" where I've burned up all the sugar in my system and hit the wall, where it was pretty much everything I could do to pull my last set and paddle in.

I can take the tiredness, but what get's me is I then get so cold, as your body has trouble maintaining temp once you run out of glycogen for blood sugar.

So the question I have is first have you guys had any issues like this, and two what kind of sugar drinks do you guys drink to keep up your blood sugar up on long or strenuous trips.

I could go back to my skiff and the puller but I kind of like doing it from the yak.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Lightbulb

Jim, I have never been hooping however I'm willing to go with you and I'll bring Coffee, sugar, creamer and milk , Monster enegry drink, Red bull, 5 hour energy,Pepsi and anything else that can get you going. You pull all night we will see what works for you and can split the bugs 60 - 40.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
maui jim

Moonshine has lots of fermented sugar in it.....
but I prefer Royal Crown Reserve.

Orange juice ...apple jucie. are good choices and a some of the gatoraids , propell
Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Jim, I have never been hooping however I'm willing to go with you and I'll bring Coffee, sugar, creamer and milk , Monster enegry drink, Red bull, 5 hour energy,Pepsi and anything else that can get you going. You pull all night we will see what works for you and can split the bugs 60 - 40.

LMFAO

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I have never been hooping however I'm willing to go with you and I'll bring Coffee, sugar, creamer and milk , Monster enegry drink, Red bull, 5 hour energy,Pepsi and anything else that can get you going. You pull all night we will see what works for you and can split the bugs 60 - 40.
I don't know... Ehr.... uhm..... I'm pretty hard core and the last kid I took wanted to go home too soon and started crying.

Here's what it's like though just to get the feel of it..

First time I tried video hooping. Slow night.... Lots of wind and no bugs but the floats look cool and I'm averaging 45 feet of rope in about fifteen seconds which aint half bad.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
JoeBeck

Jim,

I have never bonked hoop-netting although I do not really hoop net very often. I do run many marathons, compete in triathlons as well as century bike rides (100 mile +) each year and have bonked during those activities. High endurance activities cause muscle fatigue and your body to use up all its energy.... hitting a wall (yes there is a much more scientific explanation I won't go into). Basically the energy to power your muscles come from ATP formed from metabolism of fats and carbohydrates. Your body prefers to use carbohydrates which are stored as glucose in your blood, muscles and liver. Unfortunately your stores of glycogen are limited. Most endurance athletes are able to store somewhere around 2000 to 2200 calories worth, good for about 20 miles if you don't restore while running you hit a wall. This is where energy drinks and eating high carbohydrates come in. Endurance athletes also have high carbohydrate diets low carb diets don't work, you will hit a wall.

It is possible that with loading your kayak, paddling and then the workout of pulling and dropping and your current physical shape (what ever it is good or bad) you are burning through your stored energy. Eating more carbs in your diet will help. Also eating while you are on the kayak as well as a sports drink.

Gatorade is high in carbs and sugar I like Gatorade but also enjoy Nuun it is conveinient because you just put a tablet in water and you are good to go. So you can drink water but if you are feeling low on energy pop one of these in
http://www.nuun.com/

Gu energy works great for endurance events but who wants to suck this crap down when fishing. Eat energy bars, I like cliff bars and luna bars. Luna bars are marketed towards women athletes but they taste much better than others. Try the Lemon Bar!

When you work out you also sweat out your salt which your body depends on, without the salts you are likely to cramp. Eat trail mix, salted peanuts, sunflower seeds, trailmix bars

Eat a good high carb meal before going out Pasta, potatoes, pancakes, breads

Recover with protein. Chocolate milk, fresh fish, fresh lobster with carbs! rice, pasta, sourdough bread
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

I get bored pretty quickly and go home before I bonk.

never mind wrong word

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boink
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
JoeBeck

Also a lot of physical exertion is in your head, the left side of your brain tries to hold you back, worn you before you really are in trouble. Work through it, do as the United States Marine Corps does and view pain as weakness leaving the body
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
Jim,

I have never bonked hoop-netting although I do not really hoop net very often. I do run many marathons, compete in triathlons as well as century bike rides (100 mile +) each year and have bonked during those activities. High endurance activities cause muscle fatigue and your body to use up all its energy.... hitting a wall (yes there is a much more scientific explanation I won't go into). Basically the energy to power your muscles come from ATP formed from metabolism of fats and carbohydrates. Your body prefers to use carbohydrates which are stored as glucose in your blood, muscles and liver. Unfortunately your stores of glycogen are limited. Most endurance athletes are able to store somewhere around 2000 to 2200 calories worth, good for about 20 miles if you don't restore while running you hit a wall. This is where energy drinks and eating high carbohydrates come in. Endurance athletes also have high carbohydrate diets low carb diets don't work, you will hit a wall.

It is possible that with loading your kayak, paddling and then the workout of pulling and dropping and your current physical shape (what ever it is good or bad) you are burning through your stored energy. Eating more carbs in your diet will help. Also eating while you are on the kayak as well as a sports drink.

Gatorade is high in carbs and sugar I like Gatorade but also enjoy Nuun it is conveinient because you just put a tablet in water and you are good to go. So you can drink water but if you are feeling low on energy pop one of these in

Gu energy works great for endurance events but who wants to suck this crap down when fishing. Eat energy bars, I like cliff bars and luna bars. Luna bars are marketed towards women athletes but they taste much better than others. Try the Lemon Bar!

When you work out you also sweat out your salt which your body depends on, without the salts you are likely to cramp. Eat trail mix, salted peanuts, sunflower seeds, trailmix bars

Recover with protein. Chocolate milk, fresh fish, fresh lobster with carbs! rice, pasta, sourdough bread
Once again you and I are on the same page. I've bonked cycling as well, thus the use of the term. Hooping is pretty high stress the way I do it and it definitely works my body harder then the bike.

It's not as aerobic but more of a direct muscle load workout. I was crunching numbers earlier and I figure conservatively I'm going through at least 500 calories and hour so at four hours I'm at around the 2000 2200 burn level which is where my Glycogen would naturally run out.

I usually do pasta before hand. I'm thinking something like 10 ounces of gatoraid an hour to offset the glycogen burn.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-03-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Also a lot of physical exertion is in your head, the left side of your brain tries to hold you back, worn you before you really are in trouble. Work through it, do as the United States Marine Corps does and view pain as weakness leaving the body
No doubt...

I go way past the mental point , I'm used to it
Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
never mind wrong word
Get your mind out of the gutter Andy....
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Jim,

This would explain why i been craving carbohydrates lately. I pull an all day Saturday kayaking, and then during the week im like i need bread, cookie, CHEESECAKE.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #13
T Bone

Nothing is as bad as "Bonking while Boinking" followed by a good leg cramp...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
BT

I always drink gatorade jim while out there...and eat a carne asada burrito. but I am a fat ass! Gatorade seems to help.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
roby
CEO of Team Roby

grape juice, whey protein, and greens +

Sip it throughout your next hoop-netting trip...you get your sugar, protein & gut health, and if you missed your veggies that day you are covered.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
THE DARKHORSE

I'm a fat a$$, too...

So my advice should be obvious: eat food
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
m1k3midg3

im soooo glad im young and dont have to worry about running out of sugar in my blood lololololol
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
jorluivil

Do you think that maybe you bonk because you're overworking yourself? How about letting the nets soak for 15-20 minutes instead of your traditional 5 minutes? I tend to set two 'honeyhole' nets and the other three are scattered so that once I do start to pull it will take 20-30 minutes between the time I pull the first and last. Once the last is pulled I sit back, gather my senses and relax.

My buddy has the same issue, that's one of the reasons he's selling his yak now, he tends to loose energy quickly. It wasn't uncommon for him to carry 32oz soda and a small ziplock filled with bite sized Snickers....maybe you should do the same.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Do you think that maybe you bonk because you're overworking yourself? How about letting the nets soak for 15-20 minutes instead of your traditional 5 minutes?
I think you misunderstood...

Do the math... 5 nets, pulling a net every five minutes is 25 minute soaks. 30 minutes if you add travel time from one end of the string to the other.

For instance say I pull net one a 10:00 pm net 2 get's pulled at 10:05, net 3 at 10:10, net 4 at 10:15, net 5 at 10:20, then figure five to ten minutes to paddle back to net 1, take a drink of water wash off the yak and start over. So net one get's pulled again at between 10:25 to 10:30.

You loose time when you get a legal bug but then make it up by paddling and pulling faster, and usually I try to set up the nets so it take about 2 minutes to paddle from one to the next one which gives me three to pull the net and get any bugs I got into the box. If you check out the vids you'll see my pace is pretty consistent, more then I thought it'd be

It's a grind the basic idea is you want pull a net every five minutes or each net twice in an hour. Four hours 5 nets pulled twice an hour is forty pulls. Five hours fifty pulls. No doubt it's a workout but it get's bug limits, and that's what I'm out there for.

Basically you and I are pulling at the same pace but I'm running a longer string of nets then you are spacing them out further in a line down the outside while you bunch your nets together on the inside, and I' hooping longer hours. After four hours I get pretty tired but there are nights where I drop my first net a 10pm, then hoop till the sun comes up then load everything in daylight while saying hello to my friends at the ramp as they are headed out fishing.

You're essentially right... between paddling and pulling, and the time I put in I do overwork myself, that's why I'm running out of blood sugar. I just want to push harder, hoop longer and still feel better at the end of the trip when I get back in and have to load the FND on the truck

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-03-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
So my advice should be obvious: eat food

LOL... Who said your a fatass...

Yeah us skinny F#@KS don't have the reserves you have, but yeah I should definatly eat something