Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #21
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
LOL... Who said your a fatass...

Yeah us skinny F#@KS don't have the reserves you have, but yeah I should definatly eat something
Maybe that's why I don't have that issue. I'm 5'11" and weigh 230lbs
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #22
Regor
Greg

I've only been hoopin a few times, but have found out just how much of a workout it is. And being a Diabetic, I've always got my sugar levels on my mind. Better for my levels to be a little high than risk going low.

What has worked for me for hoopin is to eat my late dinner after dropping the last net. There's enough proteins and carbs in a good Fish & Shrimp burrito to get me through. I also take along stashed away a number of crackers, i.e. "Club & Cheddar Sandwich Crackers". Just enough sugar and carbs to keep my sugars up. A banana is also good for potassium to keep your muscles going.

If you eat, you won't need anything but water. But if your skipping a meal over that long (overnight hooping), you'll need something to give you the goods to keep going.

Remember one more thing I pay attention to (the diabetic side of me)
~ Carbs turn into sugar (power) over a long period of time
~ Sugar is an immediate hit to your system

Greg
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #23
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
I don't know... Ehr.... uhm..... I'm pretty hard core and the last kid I took wanted to go home too soon and started crying.

Here's what it's like though just to get the feel of it..

First time I tried video hooping. Slow night.... Lots of wind and no bugs but the floats look cool and I'm averaging 45 feet of rope in about fifteen seconds which aint half bad.
After seeing your video, I will hold the camera, Oh yeah and I can wipe myself too...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #24
sasha

Never done any hooping. But here is what i do on long hard backpacking trips. I carry some honey sticks or small jam packets. Take one once every hour or so. For drink i would use gatoraid powder but mix only 1\3 as it says. The SAR guys that i talked to said it works the best for them on long days and when they find the people dehadrated. It always worked for me on 15-20 mile days. Breakfast is always a bagel some sausage cheese and a tomato(the first and second day) Another thing to take is a bananna(you can also get the dry ones) Before you leave two or three table spoones of peanut butter goes a long way.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #25
FISHIONADO

I drink beer while hooping with 4 hoops and have never bonked. Smart carbs and sugars.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #26
taggermike

I hate hoopin but I used to night fish SD Bay for corvina off the kayak and during the grunion runs. I never bonked but I definately tired out when it got way past my bed time. One thing that helped me was to eat something like a second dinner before I hit the water. Nothing too heavy, maybe a burrito or a PB&J. I stayed away from the caffene becasue I wanted to be able to fall asleep when I got home. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #27
Fiskadoro

Thanks for all the feedback. Gatoraid seems to do the trick. I usually stay away from things with sugar in them day to day since it makes me feel like shit about an hour after I eat it, but for hooping a little sugar makes perfect sense.

Thanks again, Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #28
griffsd06

Question Slightly confused

Hey guys, what's the average length of time you should leave eclipse style nets down? I go out for 3 or 4 hours and usually only run 3 nets and drop em twice. Could I be waiting too long?
griffsd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #29
bubblehide

Griff, IMHO yes you are waiting to long. The general premise is that if the bugs are crawling, they will come and eat for a bit and move on; you could consider bugs both competitive, and a bit of a nervous creature. Most guys running 5 nets, paddle back to the first, after dropping the last one, and start their pulling, culling, re-baiting and re-droping cycle. It may not appear, but it does take some time to complete one cycle; and it can be a real workout (the reason Jim's vid is so shaky, is because he has his cam mounted on his PFD, and he's pulling the nets with both arms; it simply demonstrates the effort and speed he puts into it). Basically, it's what you make of it; you can take it easy, or work your tookis off. But if you ever happen to hoop or fish with Jim, be warned, he's an animal, and if you try to keep up with him, he'll work both you and himself into the ground, in both the pace, and the time spent OTW.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #30
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
the reason Jim's vid is so shaky, is because he has his cam mounted on his PFD, and he's pulling the nets with both arms; it simply demonstrates the effort and speed he puts into it......you can take it easy, or work your tookis off. But if you ever happen to hoop or fish with Jim, be warned, he's an animal, and if you try to keep up with him, he'll work both you and himself into the ground, in both the pace, and the time spent OTW.
WTF.. After a hundred miles on my bike all night I come home this?

Yeah the video is from my PFD cam,and I push myself hard as I can, but I do it not for anyone else or some stupid web trip, I do it because I love it and because I still can do it.

Like marathons or triathlons or or fukathons I hang and push the extremes because I want the most I can get out of life.

If people don't get that...well screw them and the sterile horse they rode in on.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #31
Sherm

Hey Jim. I also do the long hoop nights on the yak. Many trips are 6 to 8 hour affairs after the three mile paddle to the spot and back and all the pulls in between.

I usually load up on food before I hit the water. I bring a bottle of gatorade and a couple bottles of water with me. A couple of suckers seems to help when the energy reserves get low too.

Mostly the cigars get me through the rough spots though
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #32
bubblehide

Quote:
WTF.. After a hundred miles on my bike all night I come home this?

Yeah the video is from my PFD cam,and I push myself hard as I can, but I do it not for anyone else or some stupid web trip, I do it because I love it and because I still can do it.

Like marathons or triathlons or or fukathons I hang and push the extremes because I want the most I can get out of life.

If people don't get that...well screw them and the sterile horse they rode in on.

Jim

Yeah you do love it, but like I said Jim, your an animal!

Actually, someone prior to my post mentioned your vid being shaky, and even volunteered to hold your cammy next time. As for me, your vid is an excellent representation in the effort you put into the things you love. But only 100 miles on the bike , your slowing down .

But Jim, keep in mind, I apologize for nothing.

Last edited by bubblehide; 02-13-2011 at 09:10 AM.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote