Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #1
onetriphudson

Invisible Rocks and Giant Lizards

After studying some maps, I got curious about the rock piles that were supposed to be just outside Oceanside harbor (Reef #2), so I packed up my gear and went for a midday session.

The Oceanside bait barge closed at 11am but I was able to buy squid at the snack shop. I pedaled outside the harbor and the wind and swell were calm, water temp high 60’s. Heading NW, I hooked up with 5 greenbacks on a trolled sabiki in about 35ft. After sorting out that mess I continued on.

I was hoping to see lobster buoys marking the rock piles but realized I’d have to plot the coordinates because there weren't any visible. Once I had all the waypoints in, I aimed for the nearest pile but I couldn't spot any noticeable structure on the sonar. It all looked flat but I fished it anyway. The depth was about 55ft and the current was not moving much. I fished squid strips and on another rig a live mack. Repeated this on all four spots in 50 to 60 foot middle row for nada.

Pedaled to the outer row of deeper rock piles hoping to find the promised structure or some rockfish but only caught a couple huge lizards. Feeling confused why I couldn't see any structure I just drifted from there and eventually caught a shortie halibut on a squid strip. This fish was super calm and didn't seem to mind being handled by me. I pulled a parasite off his tail and let him go. Kept drifting hoping for another but then considered my options.

Thought I'd try the inside row of rock piles. These were in about 40ft of water and not far away. Ended up catching another greenback and sent it down hoping for a big flattie. Again, couldn't spot any structure or fish marks. Wind and swell started to come up, temperature started to drop. Decided to call it a day and work my way in. Soon I was home eating corn dogs and watching Disney movies with the little ones.

Anyone else fish this area?
Attached Images

Last edited by onetriphudson; 11-30-2015 at 12:02 PM.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Dirty Curti

Good report. I've done the same thing last year. Interesting that my experience was the same as yours...minus the greenbacks and short halibut. I'm thinking that maybe the reefs are just a myth...except I remember seeing the barges building them when i was a kid.

We need to get a few of us together with FF's to work the areas together to see what each other sees.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
spicolly

I have tried to fish there a few times. About 2 - 3 months ago, the only action I got was catching two bonito, which ended up attracting Mr. HH. He wouldn't leave me alone until I got back to the mouth of the harbor (1/2 mile follow?). I never made it to the reef and headed in because I was nervous being alone with the HH. That was a first and I learned a lot...it was entertaining for the people on the sportboat to watch the HH bump and follow me...they were jumping up and down, and pointing with excitement.

I was out there a few weeks back and bought some small chovies from the barge. I pedaled outside the Harbor and there were no yakkers, so I headed south this time towards the pier, flylining a chovie on a #4 Mosiquito hook and my F/W bass gear on the way south. Picked up a 11" mac and saved him...never ended up using it and let it go.

As I pedaled towards the pier, the bottom continued to be flat. Decided to head west and still flat. I headed back to the harbor to see if I could drift and perhaps catch a halibut using chovies and a CR. To my amazement, I caught a ton of small barracuda (I found that fascinating) and spotties using a CR on the bottom...of course it was shallow. Fun fishing on light gear!

After fishing nothing but LJ, it's been fun fishing North County - I have lots to learn about the area and need more time on the water. I agree with Curtis, let's get a group of guys together. The cool thing I have discovered about launching from the Harbor is it's an easy launch using the guest slips (near police station) when bigger swells are present at the beach.
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
GregAndrew

I have found that just about all published under water structure coordinates are off by at least a few hundred feet. Some by far more than that. The only good numbers I have seen are posted on dive forums. Try divebums.com.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Harry Hill

I remember back in the late 60's early 70's they used to park fishing barges right on top of the reefs. They would run the fishermen out in skiffs, you could buy a half day ticket or full day ticket. We would fish the pier and watch the guys coming back in on the skiffs to see what they caught. I'm guessing they don't park the barges on top of the reefs anymore or they would be easier to find.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
PapaDave

I fish there a lot and know exactly where the rocks are.

They're under the water...

Seriously though, I do know where they are. Let me know the next time you head there on a Saturday and I can show you where they are. They can be pretty good for the bass and the occasional halibut as well as the loner black sea bass, got about an 80lb'r out on the outer piles once.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I have found that just about all published under water structure coordinates are off by at least a few hundred feet. Some by far more than that. The only good numbers I have seen are posted on dive forums. Try divebums.com.
Also the numbers are often centered in the grid complex of reef mounds. The mounds also dont have much relief either w sand moving around.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
onetriphudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Also the numbers are often centered in the grid complex of reef mounds. The mounds also dont have much relief either w sand moving around.
I pedaled some wide circles, trying to locate any type of relief on the sonar. The most I could see was some very slight texture on the bottom, which would amount to a few bricks stacked up. My sinker hit some of this "texture" and when I wound up my hook had dark red plant on it. Im sure it could be a fishy area, but maybe the king tide and change in weather had everything spooked?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #9
onetriphudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Seriously though, I do know where they are. Let me know the next time you head there on a Saturday and I can show you where they are. They can be pretty good for the bass and the occasional halibut as well as the loner black sea bass, got about an 80lb'r out on the outer piles once.
I appreciate the offer! I'll make a post next time I plan on going and we can make a group out of it. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #10
fishthebreak
Junior

I fished that area couple months ago, however it was the same deal. Couldnt find any reefs of anysort. I did run into couple small stones which produced small bass.
fishthebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
yutbalko
Junior

i've ever fished there twice, but never see the rock. however, i'll be noticed right now. thanks
yutbalko is offline   Reply With Quote