Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Endlers

Attempting to Drown myself

When my kayak gets here in the next few days i will be headed out to LJ to surf launch. I will be going with only my yak my self and paddle and paddle leash. My goal is to launch from the surf be able to yak past the breakers flip my self a few times get back in the yak over and over while flipped and then ride a wave back in.

If i can manage to make it past the breakers and do all the things i want to do to learn my yak. I think ill be good for my next launch out of the bay

what do you guys think
Endlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

start in the bay
Old 03-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
jorluivil

That's good training but what you really want to do is practice with all your gear on board, leashed of course. Also, make sure you have your PFD and see if you can kind a buddy that will join you.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
roadx

dont go Wednesday. surf will be up
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

It's not a bad idea to recruit a friend, sometimes starting out it might take a couple tries to figure out how to get back in your yak and assistance is helpful. Especially if you're not successful after you try a couple times it's surprising how tired you can get and then you'll end up just hanging on the side and floating with your yak. I know a couple guys who tried in a pool a couple times before they attempted it out in the salt, something to consider. You could even start shallow to get the mechanics of where to grab the yak and how to pull yourself in then work your way to the deep end!
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
buddha

I agree to start in the bay. I believe you said that your kayak is only 10 feet long? That would be kind of small to fish in the ocean but then again I have never used a kayak that small maybe it can be done.

A good start would be to practice flipping and then getting back into your kayak.

Also I think you should fish in the bays and lakes first to get your sea legs.

My guess is after a few months to a year you will get a different kayak as everyone does it.

When you are ready to fish in the ocean after some experience then practice surf launches with a bigger kayak.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
Endlers

I want to start fishing the bay. But i want to deal with the biggest waves and the worst possible scenario before i go and do something that should be reletivly easy like floating in the bay

I figured if i can handle some decent size waves then some pretty big Wakes in the bay wont be too bad
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
kauaiboy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlers View Post
I want to start fishing the bay. But i want to deal with the biggest waves and the worst possible scenario before i go and do something that should be reletivly easy like floating in the bay

I figured if i can handle some decent size waves then some pretty big Wakes in the bay wont be too bad
ehh, thats a pretty bold move bud. definitely try the bay first. "relatively easy" is pretty relative...bay can get some chop and some waves too. get used to your kayak first. learn how it moves, how you balance in it, fishing from it, do EVERYTHING you can think of to feel absolutely comfortable before tackling the surf. you'll be much better off. if not, tie down and leash everything. good luck!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

If I may add one note. Never leash your paddle in the surf zone. If you bail you could become wrapped in it and injure yourself. You want to be able to get out of the way of your yak if it's being pushed by a wave. Doesn't seem like allot but the combined weight of your kayak and all that water behind it can really do some damage to whatever it runs into. Strap down your gear but untether your paddle.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
If I may add one note. Never leash your paddle in the surf zone. If you bail you could become wrapped in it and injure yourself. You want to be able to get out of the way of your yak if it's being pushed by a wave. Doesn't seem like allot but the combined weight of your kayak and all that water behind it can really do some damage to whatever it runs into. Strap down your gear but untether your paddle.
Solid advice, my first roll I was trapped between my paddle and my yak not yet outside the breaking waves which meant I ended up in breakers tangled in my leash. Not a comfortable moment at all. Test your paddle to see if it floats, if it doesn't then slide a couple short pieces of pool noodle over the handle outside your grip and that'll keep it up.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Just go on a day that the group kayak people are out there. Don't forget your helmet!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:

Not a good idea. Learn how to paddle your kayak in the bay first and then take it in the waves. Why would you take your kayak out in the surf when you don't even know how to paddle it? It's like driving on the freeway when you don't even know how to drive....and your driving stick. It's easy enough if you know how to do it...but if you don't...it might be ugly...

Start in the bay.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
Endlers

I dont understand why i would want to put my Gear on my kayak just to go flip it in the water.. It just seems like id be trying to soak my poles in salt water ruin the berrings and possibly break poles when they slap the hard surface of the water .. Just to learn how to get back in the yak? Couldnt i do that with out strapping all my gear too it?

Are you guys saying once i get my yak to just load it up and go out in the bay with out testing it first? with just me and the boat? I am so confused.

I havent even gotten my kayak yet and it feels like im doing everything wrong. First i bought one that's too small.. then im trying to do something stupid in it when i get it by trying it out in the surf.. and before it has even gotten here im being told that im already going to trade it in for something else.. Seems like i might have made a mistake in buying it in the first place.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post

Great Advice!!!

At last years Cambria Slam Down there was a kayaker that got tossed when he was landing. Actually, there were quite a few that got tossed but I remember this one in particular. Apparrently, after he got tossed the rescue crew came to his aid and began pulling on the kayak which was attached to a leash which was attached to a paddle which was wrapped around his armpit and neck. Fortunately, we were able to release the leash right away and get him up and on dry land safely. The entire chain of events lasted about 20 - 30seconds but by the time the kayaker was able to stand and start walking you could tell that he was out of breath.

Imagine if this happened while he was solo.

Yes, I am trying to scare but its for a reason.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

First time out I brought one pole but left it in my car. Took the yak out of baby beach in the harbor, leaned on it, sat sideways, tried standing up, found out how far I can lean over before it dumped me, basically got familiar with the yak. Then I got my pole from the car and did a little fishing in the harbor. I got some experience with handling small boat wakes, ventured to the harbor mouth and got comfortable with some swells. After that I spent a few days fishing semi-protected areas outside the breakwall, easy to do in Dana Point. Then spent some time getting used to open water swells. Next comes surf launch and landings. I think this was ideal for a beginner rather than jumping straight into the surf zone.

But there's something to be said for going straight for the surf, and I might have thought about it if I was younger. Getting your experience in the surf might make everything else afterwards seem easy in comparison.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
I dont understand why i would want to put my Gear on my kayak just to go flip it in the water.. It just seems like id be trying to soak my poles in salt water ruin the berrings and possibly break poles when they slap the hard surface of the water .. Just to learn how to get back in the yak? Couldnt i do that with out strapping all my gear too it?

Are you guys saying once i get my yak to just load it up and go out in the bay with out testing it first? with just me and the boat? I am so confused.

I havent even gotten my kayak yet and it feels like im doing everything wrong. First i bought one that's too small.. then im trying to do something stupid in it when i get it by trying it out in the surf.. and before it has even gotten here im being told that im already going to trade it in for something else.. Seems like i might have made a mistake in buying it in the first place.

No, don't load up all your gear and flip it. You could do that in a pool..so you could recover all your gear...not a good idea in the bay or open water. Just take your kayak out to the bay paddle around fish get the feel of your new kayak and how it paddles for a few weekends and then go from there. You will learn a lot just from paddling it for a day.

You might have made a mistake buying this kayak...depending upon how serious you are about kayaking and or kayak fishing. If you like it and want to stick with it for awhile, I think a better kayak will be in order.

Just calm down, take a deep breath...learn the fundamentals before you venture out into the open ocean.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
Endlers

Duh I think i understand now. All the info finally clicked. ( i am a Surfer, Skateboarder, Body Surfer,) so jumping right into the surf was kind of the natural way for me. Plus i was raised with a pool in my backyard.

1. Load Gear, Kayak, Self, in car.

2. Drive car to Spanish Landing Park.

3. Unload Kayak, Self, And Paddle.

4. Load self into kayak and paddle around the bay for a little bit to get how to paddle down first.

5. Once i feel i can paddle. Flips self. and learn re entry.( have watched videos)

6. If i can manage all of that in the morning and feel good about my self then load all my gear and go fish!

Sound about right?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #18
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Duh I think i understand now. All the info finally clicked. ( i am a Surfer, Skateboarder, Body Surfer,) so jumping right into the surf was kind of the natural way for me. Plus i was raised with a pool in my backyard.

1. Load Gear, Kayak, Self, in car.

2. Drive car to Spanish Landing Park.

3. Unload Kayak, Self, And Paddle.

4. Load self into kayak and paddle around the bay for a little bit to get how to paddle down first.

5. Once i feel i can paddle. Flips self. and learn re entry.( have watched videos)

6. If i can manage all of that in the morning and feel good about my self then load all my gear and go fish!

Sound about right?
perfect.

I made allot of mistakes finding out what was good and what was bad and what to look for and what to stay away from when buying a kayak. I now have a very good understanding of what will work for me. This kayak may work for you for the bay and lakes. I just know that everyone's opinions are being voiced out of concern for your safety. That kayak will not have the tracking or speed to punch through the surf zone and 90% of injuries in this sport are launching and landing

Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #19
FISH11

Quote:
When my kayak gets here in the next few days i will be headed out to LJ to surf launch. I will be going with only my yak my self and paddle and paddle leash. My goal is to launch from the surf be able to yak past the breakers flip my self a few times get back in the yak over and over while flipped and then ride a wave back in.

If i can manage to make it past the breakers and do all the things i want to do to learn my yak. I think ill be good for my next launch out of the bay

what do you guys think
First of all you don't say if it's a sit on top or a sit in Yak. If it's a sit in Yak, forget all about going out in the surf or ocean. If it's a sit on top start in the bay (mission bay) because it is not as deep. Then paddle out to within 30 yards from shore flip yourself over and pull yourself back in. Hopefully you have watched some of the videos that are on U-tube on getting back in your Yak. It is not a good idea to try this without knowing what is the proper technique. If you have not done it before you could get very tired real quick. Once you know the correct way it is very easy. You will find that the boat wakes in the bay can be a real good way to get to know how to keep your balance when the waves are coming from different angles. The surf is totally different and you can go learn that once you are more accomplished in controlling you Yak. There are also great learning videos that Jim Sammons put on U-tube about surf landings. Do yourself a favor and watch all of these so you don't endanger you life, there are enough things to worry about when your out there. There are plenty of boaters and jet skiers who won't see you or are just stupid and don't know rules of navigation. Take your time to learn correctly and stay safe. There is lot out there to enjoy when you can trust your skills.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
Drake

Every week, hundreds of overweight soccer moms from the middle of the country, who have never sat in a kayak; launch from LJ shores in the surf. Kids, senior citizens, 80lb cheerleaders and people who have never seen water all give it a go. If I had to put out a safe guess, I would estimate 90% of the people who kayak LJ everday have never been inside a kayak.

Point being, I honestly believe there is too much thought and build up being put into it. Sure, there needs to be some level of assumed risk, but it's not like you're paddling into a war zone. If it was as dangerous as it's being made out to be, there wouldn't be a thriving business of rental kayaks scattered across 100yds of the beach at LJ. The exact reason they are at LJ, is because it is easy, by comparison. You're going to flip, no doubt about it. I'm sure everyone has, some more than others. Just go out there and give it a go. Wear a PFD and have fun. If you're a surfer and body surfer like you say, you have a lot more experience in the surf zone than most. You'll be just fine. My .02