Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Endlers

Need a Buddy for tomorrow.

My first launch EVER is going to be around noon tomorrow from Spanish Landing in san diego. It would be nice to not go alone.
Endlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
joezee1986

Good luck dude just keep your balance you'll be fine solo!
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Endlers

Bump, just figured id try once more.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
kauaiboy04

if i didn't have to work, i'd gladly go with you...

also, theres a guy on scsf who's planning on hitting spanish landing today as well. meet up with them?

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com

Last edited by kauaiboy04; 04-07-2014 at 08:20 AM.
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Endlers

So i went, i saw, and got owned. I launched for a whole 20 minutes out of Spanish landing. I paddled a little bit, and then tipped my self over. Which was really really easy to do. i thought it would have been at least a little harder to tip but nope really easy.

Then i was only able to get back into the kayak once. Lucky i didn't paddle to far off shore before dumping my self. I dont know if the kayak was too small? if i was too dumb? But it felt like i was not only doing everything wrong. But that it wouldn't get any better either.

So being all of that said i loaded it back on to the car and returned the kayak to Walmart. I gave it a shot. But i dont know if kayak fishing is for me, at least right now.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlers View Post
So i went, i saw, and got owned. I launched for a whole 20 minutes out of Spanish landing. I paddled a little bit, and then tipped my self over. Which was really really easy to do. i thought it would have been at least a little harder to tip but nope really easy.

Then i was only able to get back into the kayak once. Lucky i didn't paddle to far off shore before dumping my self. I dont know if the kayak was too small? if i was too dumb? But it felt like i was not only doing everything wrong. But that it wouldn't get any better either.

So being all of that said i loaded it back on to the car and returned the kayak to Walmart. I gave it a shot. But i dont know if kayak fishing is for me, at least right now.

See not as easy as you thought huh? Good thing you didnt go out in the surf and really hurt yourself. Don't give up just yet, regroup, go check out some better kayaks, try them out then buy the right one for you.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:

Dude its the shitty Walmart kayak, not you. And this is why we made a big deal of it concerning lj. I'm glad you practiced in a safe setting. Save your chedda and you can get something decent for cheap. If you wanna come up and fish Newport I've got a yak I know you won't fall off of

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
tamddo714

perhaps you can be more elaborate on what you were doing while you spilled overboard. Where you unaware of oncoming wake waves while you were leaning over and looking over the side? Sorry your experience has caused a damper on your kayak fishing experience. But as mentioned by William, perhaps it was the kayak you bought at walmart itself. Good thing you weren't launching from the surf.
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #9
Endlers

I think i am going to buy the 12 footer from walmart and give that a shot.. I am going to return my fish finder my kayak cart my J roof racks that dont work and buy the bigger one. With the bigger yak I might be ok. at least with the bigger yak, maybe i can buy or build some trainer floats for it. But after looking at everyones kayaks its like why should ie ven bother.. if i can only spend a little bit.

Last edited by Endlers; 04-08-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Maxfli123

Well that's the spirit!!!! If I gave up on everything the first try I'd be In a gutter somewhere. If you really want to get into kayak fishing it is doable on a lowend budget, 500 got me a decent older yak with all the fixings...granted I added a FF later on but its better than the Walmart one...Good luck if you try again
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
FISH11

Just like everyone on this site will tell you. Don't buy a Kayak from walmart! The Kayaks you see at Walmart, Costco, etc. are not very good. As other members have said you can find a much better quality and more sea worthy Kayak on Craigslist, or the for sale forum on this sight. You are not the only one going through the learning process. A very short time ago someone else on this site (won't use his name) went through the same thing about budget. He ignored all advice the was posted, even a members offer, went out and bought a poor quality Kayak and in like 1 week he was trying to sell it so he could buy a different used Kayak. The lesson is all member on this site will freely give you advise from all they have learned. If you listen and put it all together it will save you money and shorten your learning curve. In the end you will be able to enjoy the sport we all love. When looking at Kayaks only consider Sit On Top and brands such as Malibu, Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Native Watercraft and Hobie. Hobie will be the most expensive and not alway the best, but you don't need to over buy. If you look and take a little time you should be able to find a good one for $500 and some times less. The used one will often include seat and paddle at least. I got one with fishfinder too. Don't give up ask if anyone on this site has a good starter deal and you'll get some responses. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #12
buddha

I had a friend that did the same thing as you did. He bought a kayak that was not really a good brand and he was constantly falling in the water. When he tried my kayak he could not believe how stable and comfortable he was.

A used kayak or a blem will cost you the same as the 12 ft kayak from walmart but will be a much better kayak for you.

Believe me when I say that is wasn't you it was the kayak that was the issue.

I am glad that you are not giving up as this is truly a great sport.

If I could give you some simple advice it would be to take the kayak that you are going to buy out on the water first.

When you try out some good kayaks you are going to be surprised at how good and stable they will feel and then you will be on your way.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

I have another bit of advice. Just depending on how serious you are about this kayaking thing.....if you are serious...skip the 12' and get something that's 14' or better. When I started I started with a 12' and soon after wanted to upgrade to the larger model. A 12' model will generally be cheaper but not in the long run if you eventually want to upgrade.

The reason the bigger and longer kayak is better is that it can carry more weight, tracks better, more deck space for your gear and fish, better in open water, more visible to others, more internal storage...etc...

You want that extra capacity especially when you add a full bait tank, yourself, all your gear and a limit of WSB...

Oh like everyone else said..."stay away from Walmart kayaks".
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #14
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Another tip:

Make sure you get a kayak with enough weight capacity.
you are going to be top heavy and the kayak is going to flip if the kayak is too small.

Kayak manufacture's do not usually tell you how much weight you can have,
it is simply that your kayak is too small. Legally, Kayak manufacturers do not have to rate their vessels on any type of "stability" factors - only capacity weight. So "technically" you could fill the inside of your kayak with 600lbs of lead (all down in the hull) and all would be fine. But add half that weight to the top of the kayak (rather then the inside) and it will capsize every time.

you are are pushing the very limit of the kayak if its too small.

If you weigh all your gear, equipment, beverage & beverage cooler, etc. you will probably find you are within 10% of the maximum load limit. If you are both broad in the shoulders, your weight is high, and the boat is low in the water. This of course makes it extremely unstable.

Loaded to within 10% of capacity, a lot of vessels (not just kayaks) would capsize if a few people more then half walked over to starboard. In fact, a houseboat with the exact number of people stated on it's mfg's capacity plate recently capsized because too many of them were on the upper deck.

I suggest you get a kayak made for "Tall & Large" kayakers...

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I am a beginner myself. Got a wapping 3-4 months under my belt. The best advise I could give is. Listen to what these guys are suggesting. They have years of experience kayak fishing. Their advise has helped myself and many others getting into this hobby.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
Endlers

I cant even fit a 14 foot kayak on my car. At least i don't think it would fit.

I recently lost my job so i was working with the budget walmart alloted me and since thats the only money i had tow ork with .. looks like i wotn be able to do this.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #17
FISH11

This is a perfect example of a great Kayak that has a huge weight capacity and is super stable. It large so if your not a bigger guy, it will be a little slow paddling. Check out the price you won't find a better deal for the quality. Jump on it and call to see if it's still available. It won't last someone will pick it up for a back up. Don't wait call now. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=21551
Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:

I recently lost my job so i was working with the budget walmart alloted me and since thats the only money i had tow ork with .. looks like i wotn be able to do this.
You can still do it...just not now. When things start to turn around for you, come back buy a decent kayak (not Walmart) and pick up where you left off.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #19
Endlers

I sent a message to the guy with the xfactor 14. I have 400$ available and have no problem paying the xtra 100$ when i can.

I recently lost my job.. So i am currently struggling to find money, I am looking for any type of work as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #20
buddha

Quote:

Don't give up that easily. You should actually start in the bay. Start with a 12 foot kayak and then later on work your way up.

You can also rent a kayak first when you want to go out so this way you don't have to shell out all your money first.

This is also a good way to try out different kayaks.

There are several places in San Diego that will rent you a kayak in the bay.

Don't give up just get out on the water in a good kayak and get the experience.

If you want to come to Chula Vista after my baja trip there is a rental service here that I think is like 25 bucks to rent.

I will help you get started.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote