Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #21
FISH11

Sounds good. Hope a deal can be worked out. You won't regret it. It already has all you need to get started and then some. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
Endlers

I need people willing to help me figure out whats best for me. I was tempted to buy the 12" kayak and maybe make some pontoon floats for it to help it become more stable. Is this an option? that might be dooable for cheap?
Endlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
DanaPT

I bet you can track down something for $300-$400 that is fish ready.

this is a great board (good advice, info and sometimes good people ).

Try this... offer to bring beer and buy lunch if someone would meet you at a launch of their choice w/ their extra kayak.

Who knows what happens?

Don't give up that easily.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #24
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlers View Post
I need people willing to help me figure out whats best for me. I was tempted to buy the 12" kayak and maybe make some pontoon floats for it to help it become more stable. Is this an option? that might be dooable for cheap?
That won't be a good option. Get the malibu for 400 bucks if you can. Or rent like I suggested earlier. Don't buy anything until you have tried it out on the water.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #25
FISH11

You won't need any pontoons with the X Factor it is a Fish and Dive model. It has a weight capacity of 600 pound, has 3 different hatches. The front is a large one, you could put you fishing poles inside for surf launching if you need (good idea when still learning how to launch and land through the surf). The other 2 are rectangular and have removable lids that latch with 4 rotating handles to secure them. The hull bottom has a camber to the edge that makes it more stable and less prone to rolling over. It is 33" wide and 14' 4" long. If you look at a lot of the pictures on this site from a few years back, most of the guys catching Yellowtail and White Sea Bass and riding an X Factor. It would be more Kayak than you could expect to start out with. Good Luck P.S. you could carry it on top of your car, just look at the listing for guys carrying a Hobie PA on top. You will see a lot. Those thing weigh 120+ pounds and the X Factor is like 64 pounds.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #26
Endlers

Hopefully i can make it happen.. Id sell my soul for a kayak fishing experience
Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #27
FISH11

Just sell your Wife or Girlfriend than you can fish when you want as long as you want. Tight Lines
Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #28
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

come to Oceanside with your soul lol. ill teach you all I know as a beginner, and then you can go and learn from the pro's. ill even let you drive the caddiyak
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #29
Endlers

wife or girlfriend was sold years ago.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #30
urbanforest92
Junior

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/4404330167.html

This ad on craigslist for a Wilderness Systems tarpon 120 for 300$
I own a tarpon 160 (pre-2009 model) and absolutely love the thing!
I'm a light weight guy so it's difficult to paddle fast and cover ground quickly but for the most part it is extremely stable and these kayaks are great for converting into a fish slayers!
urbanforest92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #31
urbanforest92
Junior

There's also another WS tarpon 140 for 395$ which is a great price! I always haggle with the prices so shoot them an offer of 300$ then see what they say just remember you can always go up when negotiating prices. Heck, i'd even offer a measley 250$ You never know how quick they need the cash. Just get a feel for the seller and then you can see if they're going to budge with the price. You alwyas want to wait for the right buy rather than to spend your hard earned cash on something you might want to replace later on. My kayak had a repair in the lower part of the stern(back) so i haggeled the price to 250$. The owner was ready to part with it since he was getting old and saving up for a boat. The tarpon 140 would be the best bet for getting an affordable kayak off of craigslist. Just my 2cents.

Edit* I own a tarpon 140 (not160). Awesome kayak!
urbanforest92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #32
Endlers

I have made a deal with Chad for his, Will take me a few weeks to get it .. but he said he is in no rush to sell and will hold for me! SCORE!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #33
kaya_one

Quote:
I sent a message to the guy with the xfactor 14. I have 400$ available and have no problem paying the xtra 100$ when i can.

I recently lost my job.. So i am currently struggling to find money, I am looking for any type of work as well.
$400 or $500 is plenty dough to buy a great kayak. Should I repeat...don't buy from Walmart. You can get a sweet ocean-ready kayak used or a new blem from OEX.

Call OEX Sunset Beach to pick their brains (562) 592-0800....please...and get a free test drive!
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #34
buddha

Quote:
I have made a deal with Chad for his, Will take me a few weeks to get it .. but he said he is in no rush to sell and will hold for me! SCORE!
So you are getting the X Factor? Great deal!

You are going to love kayak fishing my friend.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #35
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Good deal, you learnt the hard way. You can tip over any yak but you should be surprised how stable a decent yak is.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #36
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Definitely a good move!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #37
FISH11

Smile X Factor

Great to hear it's going to work out for you. The X Factor had everything extra rod holders, seat , paddle and I believe a Mark 4 fish finder. Hell that means it's got GPS as well as the sounder. A lot of guys don't have GPS. It'll help you re-locate the exact spot you mark when you find a fishing honey hole. You are going to be all set. Remember all the members on this board are always here to help, all you need to do is ask. Tight Lines. Mark
Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Excellent! X-factor is a great kayak! Much better than that Walmart kayak! Good luck with it!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #39
Endlers

I learned today that i have a sponsor for fishing gear. Norcrossmarine products. They are sending me their new hand held sonar system. I am sure i will also get much more gear in the future as patrick the owner sent me the mail directly.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #40
octico

Quote:
I cant even fit a 14 foot kayak on my car. At least i don't think it would fit.

I recently lost my job so i was working with the budget walmart alloted me and since thats the only money i had tow ork with .. looks like i wotn be able to do this.
I put a 14 foot revo on my son's 2001 Honda accord last weekend. Unless you drive a mini you should be fine.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote