Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
bryan_oceanside
Junior

In need of some help, would love to catch some fish

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the community (registered today) as well as fishing and would appreciate anyone willing to paddle out with a beginner.

A bit of background about me: I live in South Oceanside CA and have been fishing primarily off my surfboard (9’6 longboard) and sometimes my kayak (lifetime tamarack angler) for about a year now. I have caught countless amounts of small kelp bass and a few small mackerel but have only caught one take home fish so far. I’ve been fishing the kelp off Tabletops, Beacons and Terra Mar.

I really want to learn more but am feeling discouraged because I have no idea what I need to improve. Am I going to the wrong spots, using the wrong tackle, going at the wrong time? I have no idea. I get most of my information from chatting with people at the tackle shops but I don’t think I’ve pieced it together correctly. If I could narrow down what I am doing wrong even the slightest I could do more research but now it just feels as though I am doing everything wrong. That could just be how fishing is I don’t know.

My new goal is to meet some other saltwater kayak fisherman to go with and learn everything I can. I don’t know if there is anyone willing to take a newbie with and show them the ropes. All I can say is that I am extremely willing to learn, reliable when it comes to meeting up, and overall stoked to be in the water in general. Post paddle beers are on me.

Thanks and appreciate your time reading this!
bryan_oceanside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Hook up with Kevin Nakada!

https://www.seasamurai.com
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
That's what I would do if I were you.....

You will be saving money in the long run, and you won't be wasting your time. Let him dial you right in.
Teach a man to fish one day, let's him feed his self for life...
Old 09-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Your request can be written as a book, but I try to give a very condense answer here.
My contribution to your request is as follows and it is not necessary for kayak fishing, but could be adopted to kayak fishing.

Well lesson number one is ------Be patient. Best benefit of going fishing is learning to develop patience.
Do a lot of research. Today with internet it is much easier.
Like so many anglers, I too bought a rod, reel and throw out bait to see what bites. Eventually I realized that it was more important, is to have knowledge than luck when it comes to fishing.
For example; don’t use Sabiki to catch shark! If you want bonito, don’t bother fishing at night.
Carolina rig works best for bottom feeder species who have their mouth under their body.
Etc., etc.
Lots of post full of information here in this website, or other fishing websites.
Ask for specific question here. Read library books on fishing.

Go to Oceanside pier and watch regulars there. Make friends with them and ask questions. Some may give you help. Fish the pier. No license is required.

Do you have a fish finder on your kayak? Do a lot of trolling with hard bait or live mackerel?
Lastly, don’t make the outing about catching. You are in fresh air. Enjoy the beauty of the nature and get some exercise while paddling. The catch is the cherry on the top.

I hope I got you heading in the right direction. Check Facebook for a group of kayak fisherman in San Diego. A member here (Buda) runs it.

As they say in the fishing circuits,

Tight lines.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post

Another version:

Teach a man how to fish, then watch him go broke buying fishing stuff.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Go fish with Kevin Nakada.... You will learn more than you can retain...
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Roman @ OEX

If Kevin isn’t available...try Roman at OEX Sunset Beach...he’s a great fisherman and a real personable fishing guide...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Another version:

Teach a man how to fish, then watch him go broke buying fishing stuff.
I'll take your money
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171110_081325.jpg (89.5 KB, 222 views)
Old 09-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
bryan_oceanside
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchfish View Post
Hook up with Kevin Nakada!

https://www.seasamurai.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
You will be saving money in the long run, and you won't be wasting your time. Let him dial you right in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
Go fish with Kevin Nakada.... You will learn more than you can retain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
If Kevin isn’t available...try Roman at OEX Sunset Beach...he’s a great fisherman and a real personable fishing guide...
Am definitely going to give Kevin a call. I think that is the best move since he specializes in helping people like me. Thanks all for the great advice!
Old 09-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
bryan_oceanside
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Your request can be written as a book, but I try to give a very condense answer here.
My contribution to your request is as follows and it is not necessary for kayak fishing, but could be adopted to kayak fishing.

Well lesson number one is ------Be patient. Best benefit of going fishing is learning to develop patience.
Do a lot of research. Today with internet it is much easier.
Like so many anglers, I too bought a rod, reel and throw out bait to see what bites. Eventually I realized that it was more important, is to have knowledge than luck when it comes to fishing.
For example; don’t use Sabiki to catch shark! If you want bonito, don’t bother fishing at night.
Carolina rig works best for bottom feeder species who have their mouth under their body.
Etc., etc.
Lots of post full of information here in this website, or other fishing websites.
Ask for specific question here. Read library books on fishing.

Go to Oceanside pier and watch regulars there. Make friends with them and ask questions. Some may give you help. Fish the pier. No license is required.

Do you have a fish finder on your kayak? Do a lot of trolling with hard bait or live mackerel?
Lastly, don’t make the outing about catching. You are in fresh air. Enjoy the beauty of the nature and get some exercise while paddling. The catch is the cherry on the top.

I hope I got you heading in the right direction. Check Facebook for a group of kayak fisherman in San Diego. A member here (Buda) runs it.

As they say in the fishing circuits,

Tight lines.
Great insight to something I need to come to terms with, patience. I am really in to surfing and had to learn the same lesson there. Fishing is just a different monster. Again what is difficult for me is the unknown factor I need to improve. In surfing it is a bit more clear, work on my pop-up, bottom turn needs to be smoothed out, paddle technique could use some work. When focusing on each of these I see results specifically to that initiative. In fishing Im not at a point yet to where I can narrow that down.

But I believe you did set me in the right direction. I need to go back out, keep talking to people and doing research as you said, and keep trying new things until I get to that point. In the meantime just enjoy the ocean.

Thank you for your detailed response. Im going to stay involved on this site as its clear there is a wealth of knowledge and expertise.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
PapaDave

I haven't gone out in the Oceanside area in a while, but I do know where the reefs are.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #12
Mahigeer

Glad I could be of help.

Feel free to send PM with specific questions.

I will do my best to answer or send you to the people who can help.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
Amish Ed

What exactly are you looking to catch? Bigger bass? Halibut? Yellowtail? What are you using to catch them now?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Good point Ed...

I been thinking about this guy...I was gonna say just get a bass rod and a few jigs hookup bait ,fish traps,gulf shrimp bait ,big hammer, leadhead,grubs ,tubes ect
And start scraping the bottom along rock jettie, out with the tide in with the tide, but it sounds like your doing it now. You just need to find fish....lean how to splice braid to fluorocarbon and mono with the John Collins or RP knott. Mono to mono line double uni knot.
Tie hooks and swivel with palomar or improved clinch knot. And learn dropper lupe and double uni and surgeon loop...keep it simply the skys the limit what you can learn for starters pole jig, net learn to cast and work jigs keep them on the bottom.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-12-2019 at 08:47 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

San Diego jam knot

For iron, catch yellow tail ,rock fish, crocodile lure is good to.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-13-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:34 AM   #16
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

How to fish live mackerel for yellow tail and halibut.

This is the way I rig...a few wraps of fishing tape on reel spool, so 65lb power pro line doesn't slip on spool...arbor knot with power pro braided line. Spool line on reel tight I use gloves to hold tension and tie knots. When reel is full use a John Collins knot to add a four ft piece of 40lb fluorocarbon to hook. I use off set J hooks for fly lining live mackerel and circle hooks and off set octopus hooks,match hook size to bait size. You can also add a 4oz egg sinker plastic bead swivel to make it a Carolina rig.
You just covered the surface and middle column of water.
I will cover dropper Lupe and halibut rig later date.
Easy way for you just take your reel in to tackle shop to add line.
You don't have to use braided line and fluorocarbon, but there is more of a chance losing a fish on straight monofilament if you get rocked or tangled in kelp.in the long run braided line and fluorocarbon is cheaper because it doesn't go bad.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-13-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
tacmik

Come on out to a HOW event. A lot of very knowledgeable people that you can meet and pick their brain. at the same time you can help our Veteran community. Tomorrow at 6am at tideland. (on Coronado under the bridge at the park on the right.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #18
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

How I fish dropper Loop for yellow tail....

5-6 ft off the bottom easiest way to make a loop is a double surgeon loop 6-8-12 in. loop
Google and watch YouTube to learn your knots
I will follow up with live bait rig and halibut rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190914_053950~2.jpg (45.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 09-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #19
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Let me make a correction...

Its double surgeon loop and not knot.
With the John Collins knot instead of using a swivel
You can wind the knot thru the pole guides make it easier to gaff big YT

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-14-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I have caught halibut on all 3 ways

I don't use a trap rig 2hooks for live sardines only mackerel. Best way to fish sardines is Carolina rig.
I like the Snell knot on first hook and improved clinch knot on second treble hook. Three way swivel hold every thing straight but I don't think there as strong as using two separate swivels with a sliding 6oz torpedo wt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190915_083437~2.jpg (47.0 KB, 73 views)