Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
danielbigboy
Junior

Best model lowrance ff to buy 2015 pa

Reserch ing but a little unsure what to invest in tired of fishing blind.
danielbigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

At least a HDS5...

but preferably a HDS7...but a HDS9 would be nice...a HDS10...now your talking!

50/200 transducer.

If your planning on sticking with the sport, buy the best you can't afford! Otherwise go with the cheap stuff and get by until you eventually give it up and sell....like we see all the time on the buy and sell board....
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
Mthomas88
Junior

I'm looking at the Lowrance Hook 5, anyone got one on their rig?
Mthomas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
Murray

I recently purchased the elite chirp 5. Functionally, pretty much the same as the Hook. Great ff and easy to use. Make sure you get the correct transducer per where you will fishing. Salt water needs a more powerful transducer than fresh water. DSI also works best with transducer directly in the water.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
farreola

Does anyone know what are the major differences between the Elite Chirp and the new Hook FF?
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Murray

possibly touch screen only
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
farreola

Hook is touch screen?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
Darrell
Junior

The Elite has a slightly enhanced display and low, medium and high frequencys. The hook has medium and high. Unless you have a habit of fishing up to 3000 feet the low frequency is not needed. Even medium is not necessary most of time since most of our coastal fishing is done in less than 200 feet of water. Go to products on the lowrance site and it lets you compare units side by side, specs, etc
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
The Elite has a slightly enhanced display and low, medium and high frequencys. The hook has medium and high. Unless you have a habit of fishing up to 3000 feet the low frequency is not needed. Even medium is not necessary most of time since most of our coastal fishing is done in less than 200 feet of water. Go to products on the lowrance site and it lets you compare units side by side, specs, etc

Why is the low frequency not needed...? I use it all the time...It works great.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Darrell
Junior

It will work and you will work fine in low and youll get a great pitchure but but you may be sacrificing detail, target seperation and coverage area. High is designed for shallow, less than 50', medium up to 1000' and low up to 3000'. by using it. Medium frequency is stated to have a wider coverage area. Technology is so advanced you really cant go wrong with even the most basic units for locating bait, fish, etc. i remember using the lowarnce x-15 that burned on paper with the stylus and those cost 500$ in the eighties. Now we have 100$ color units that blow it away.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
farreola

Thanks Darrell
Old 02-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
It will work and you will work fine in low and youll get a great pitchure but but you may be sacrificing detail, target seperation and coverage area. High is designed for shallow, less than 50', medium up to 1000' and low up to 3000'. by using it. Medium frequency is stated to have a wider coverage area. Technology is so advanced you really cant go wrong with even the most basic units for locating bait, fish, etc. i remember using the lowarnce x-15 that burned on paper with the stylus and those cost 500$ in the eighties. Now we have 100$ color units that blow it away.

Yep, I use low frequency often also. But usually have the higher frequency on the other side of the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:

You might get a good picture with more detail on 200...but like you just said a lower frequencey like 50 will have a wider coverage area. So why is a wider coverage area not needed or necessary when you are searching for fish?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Darrell
Junior

The lower the frequency, the lower the width of coverage. There is a trade off with everything and each has it uses. But as with anything, if it works for you i wouldnt change it. This is an Excerpt from Lowrance reg. Chirp

How Multiple CHIRP sonar settings provide clarity

Multiple CHIRP ranges from a single transducer: Because Lowrance fishfinders give you the option of using more than one CHIRP Sonar signal, it’s important to understand which one is right for your fishing situation.
High CHIRP frequency selection: Most frequently used for freshwater as well as more shallow coastal areas. It provides the greatest detail for tracking smaller objects, like your lure, or identifying game fish from bait fish, as well as game fish that are near structure or on the bottom.
Medium CHIRP frequency selection: Wide coverage makes this frequency best for covering large areas while searching for structure or fish. However, this option is not as detailed as High CHIRP and will not penetrate as deep as Low CHIRP.
Low CHIRP frequency selection: Provides the greatest depth performance, while marking fish targets throughout the entire water column.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
The lower the frequency, the lower the width of coverage. There is a trade off with everything and each has it uses. But as with anything, if it works for you i wouldnt change it. This is an Excerpt from Lowrance reg. Chirp

How Multiple CHIRP sonar settings provide clarity

Multiple CHIRP ranges from a single transducer: Because Lowrance fishfinders give you the option of using more than one CHIRP Sonar signal, it’s important to understand which one is right for your fishing situation.
High CHIRP frequency selection: Most frequently used for freshwater as well as more shallow coastal areas. It provides the greatest detail for tracking smaller objects, like your lure, or identifying game fish from bait fish, as well as game fish that are near structure or on the bottom.
Medium CHIRP frequency selection: Wide coverage makes this frequency best for covering large areas while searching for structure or fish. However, this option is not as detailed as High CHIRP and will not penetrate as deep as Low CHIRP.
Low CHIRP frequency selection: Provides the greatest depth performance, while marking fish targets throughout the entire water column.

I believe you got that wrong my friend...

The lower the frequency the wider the coverage area with of course better depth penetration and like you said less clarity/resolution/target separation....but really it's good enough.

I think you better reconsider telling everyone that the low frequency is not needed or necessary...if you ever tried using it, you probably wouldn't say it's unnecessary.... Try it out, I think you'll like it.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #16
farreola

Can you split the screen with both frequencies?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Sure you can.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
jorluivil

My sonar is always set on 50khz regardless of depth

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by farreola View Post
Can you split the screen with both frequencies?

Yup, thats whats on my screen 95% of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #20
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I didn't spend all this money on a good FF just to mount the xducer in hull or run it on the least detailed settings. I like to see a plankton fart on mine.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote