Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
ysmoose
Junior

Dana Point (first post)

Caught a 3 pound yellowtail and another 3 pound bonito trolling sardines near the red buoy by the headland couple weeks ago during the Fishing with Friends tournament hosted by Dana Point Jet Ski.

It was my first time fishing at DP on a kayak, and had a blast. I've been to La Jolla a couple times before with Kevin Nakada and learned a lot from him about kayak fishing.

My question is, what are the chances of catching a yellowtail this time of the year, as water temp drops on a kayak at DP? Also, is the place called box canyon with kayak range if you launch out of DP harbor??

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

ysmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Very good. 1 yr and 2wks ago I got a solid 35# off DP. 2 months ago a sold 25#.

2nd question. No way. Its a 5mi ish paddle 1way if you launch from San Onofre. Trail 6 would put you closer but w a long walk.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
jorluivil

We've done the trek from San O to box canyon. If you go be prepared to peddle/paddle for a long time and definitely check the winds, the last thing you want is to head back to the launch with head winds

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
We've done the trek from San O to box canyon. If you go be prepared to peddle/paddle for a long time and definitely check the winds, the last thing you want is to head back to the launch with head winds
What no mention of the "killer surf" at SanO?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
ysmoose
Junior

Thanks for the response! At what depth do you usually troll? Last time I just trolled back and forth near the red buoy which was 50-60 feet. How far do you have to go out for deep enough water for yoyo jig in the winter?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
TINCANYAK
Junior

Put in 7 hours at D P Sunday with Steve out past Barber Poles and up to Salt Creek. No rat yellows, but lots of Bonita, Calico and Sand Bass along with big ass well trained dog. You may want to curtail all that blood my friend unless your looking for .......err....let's call it different action associated with the warm current.
TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
ysmoose
Junior

I guess you just gotta put in the hours. Thanks for the advice Tincanyak!