Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
kayachapi

King Harbor this weekend

I'll be at King Harbor thursday thru sunday this weekend with my 18 year old son. Our first kayak trip together. Then again in two weeks with my 21 year old son two weeks later. The gear I've been able to scratch together isn't the best, but will get us by for a while. Any knowledge of the area, or suggestions that could help a couple of rookies would be sincerly appreciated. I am stoked about spending this kind of time with my boys. Mac Rapala, Squid Waxwing, and some assorted Big Hammer swimbaits are pretty much what I've got to work with. I'm also thinking about dragging some frozen squid on the bottom. This trip will hopefully help me pick up some experiance, I already know the smell of skunk and try to avoid it whenever possible. If anybody has any thoughts, please throw them my way. I would like to fish with anybody in the area but can't commit, family down there will be wanting to check out uncle Scott's kayaks, and I'm not sure about there schedule. But if your there, please give me a yell. Either way I'll let you know how it went. Thanks, tight lines. Scott
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
gupppy

hey scott, are you planning on staying inside the harbor or were you going to venture out? just be careful if you do venture out. it gets pretty hairy out there.
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
kayachapi

I'll start out in the harbor, fish along the jetty and see how things look. I have a few days and don't necessarily need to rush out. Mom say's I have to bring the boy back. If we are catching, it's all good, but the skunk may end up pushing me out. I would really like to get halibut, but anything would be fun.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Yeah Redondo is a pretty wide open area not much cover if the swell or wind is up, but you can fish the boats for bass, all the area from the bait barge out should have plenty to offer, hopefully the bonita and barries will play, bass on the corner of the breakwall, and deep spots not too far out from the piers, I
just may hit you up on sunday, we will see...I haven't been there in awhile...
either way good luck be safe and enjoy the quality time with the family...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupppy View Post
hey scott, are you planning on staying inside the harbor or were you going to venture out? just be careful if you do venture out. it gets pretty hairy out there.

if you go outside the harbor start heading in as soon as the winds starts to pick up and be careful when you enter the mouth, the waters are like a whirlpool in that area

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 07-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
kayachapi

I've been looking at the Redondo Canyon on Google Earth, it's pretty close with some good structure. Not sure whats down there, but it looks promising. mntbkr it would be great to meet you. Sunday would be a morning trip. I'll have to head back to the mountains by noon(ish). Also I don't want to blow any shot at respect in this community, a lot of people release the bass they catch, but there tastey. Is there a problem with keeping bass, and decorating them with some pico de gallo?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayachapi View Post
I've been looking at the Redondo Canyon on Google Earth, it's pretty close with some good structure. Not sure whats down there, but it looks promising. mntbkr it would be great to meet you. Sunday would be a morning trip. I'll have to head back to the mountains by noon(ish). Also I don't want to blow any shot at respect in this community, a lot of people release the bass they catch, but there tastey. Is there a problem with keeping bass, and decorating them with some pico de gallo?
There is no problem with keep bass as long as you share some of those tacos and ceviche with the rest of us!!
and the new guy always brings the beer too!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
kayachapi

No problem Yakin, if your coming to my first fish fry, you might want to bring a sandwich. The beer however hasn't been difficult at all.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Yakin

Quote:
No problem Yakin, if your coming to my first fish fry, you might want to bring a sandwich. The beer however hasn't been difficult at all.
I am in the other mountains from you in running springs or else I would bring some cod!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
kayachapi

jorluivil, I replied to your message. I dont know if it came through. So thank you. WAY COOl!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Yeah Redondo is a pretty wide open area not much cover if the swell or wind is up, but you can fish the boats for bass, all the area from the bait barge out should have plenty to offer, hopefully the bonita and barries will play, bass on the corner of the breakwall, and deep spots not too far out from the piers, I
just may hit you up on sunday, we will see...I haven't been there in awhile...
either way good luck be safe and enjoy the quality time with the family...
Check your surf & tidal projections.If any south swells coming,rising tides will push you in2 the jetties.If events arise, stay inside!For tide predictions use Surfline.com,Make sure You & ur sons have life vest, B-safe & Have a Good Time!
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
kayachapi

Thanks otterpupster. If it's that bad we'll be on the leeward side of the rocks, hoping the surf is knocking some crusties out our way, hopefully generating a bite (?). Got the safety gear, my biggest concern is getting so focused on fishing that we forget that we're not the only ones one the water. Looking forward to a great time.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
gupppy

Quote:

the canyon is easy rock fishing. i was out there last weekend. the morning was decent with 3' swells . then it got really hairy, REAL quick by 11. good thing i have a hobie. my friend that's a veteran went back in because it took him 20+ minutes to paddle back out to start his drift again. bat rays were rampant. i caught 3
it was probably the roughest waters i've been in, but that doesn't say much since i'm a novice. however, i did fish 12 hours, 2 of which were in the harbor. it was a night and day difference in conditions i tell ya!
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote