Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
zenspearo

(MLPA) Thank you everyone for the turnout at the workshops

Cross-posted at Spearboard (from a spearo's perspective).

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=87876

Without making it sound like a boob at an Oscar night...I still think it's important to thank people for what they have done.

Now that we are 90% done with the workshops (except for Catalina), and as I'm ready to take a breather, I want to thank everyone who worked to raise awareness of the MLPA issue and who worked to get people to show up at the workshops up and down the coast, as well as the actual attendees.

The final stat, at least mainland, is:

Carlsbad - 130
San Diego - 280
Laguna - 180
San Pedro - 90
Marina Del Rey - 80
Oxnard - 57
Santa Barbara - 115

I think many breathed a collective sigh of relief when Santa Barbara reversed the downward trend with a respectable turnout. In some workshops, we fishermen/spearos are the overwhelming majority. In some others, the split is more even.

I'd like to acknowledge the spearo crew, who have been at this fight long and hard. Some of you were there since day one, when only a few of us were in the room and we looked around and went "oh shit." Without a doubt, you blazed the trail that started the mobilization trend for other communities (kayakfishing, hook&line, etc.) SoCal response is markedly more powerful than other regions so far because of the persistence and discipline of many of you. Long after we are done, I hope other regions can learn from our mistakes and do better.

Our closest allies, the kayakfishermen, have stepped up hugely and we literally could not have done this past round to the degree that we did without them. You are among the best friends spearos can have in a fight.

Most importantly, thank you to the RSGs. I won't name names here but let's just say that you have educated and enlightened our people, many tirelessly so, and some of you aren't even spearos. Your inputs and guidance have been invaluable.

Lest it goes unsaid, many of the nonconsumptive divers and some surfers have been very helpful as well. Thank you for being receptive and for your inputs, as well as for your fairness and encouraging words. I know you lurk this board--because you have caught me a few times when I tried to pull a fast one on ya. Deep down, we all have concerns and I think we can work together.

Now onto Round 3, the final round.