Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
DevFletch
Junior

Equipment Advice?

Hey there everyone! I have been Kayak fishing for about a year now. I've been kayaking for about 2 years, so I am still fairly new to the whole thing. I was just wondering if anyone out there might have some advice for me. My wife and I like to use these old photo vest that we had lying around when we are fishing to keep our tackle and bait in one place. We have been trying to use them for fishing, but it just seems like it is getting far too bulky to keep doing. I was wondering if anyone out there might have a good idea for something that I could use as an alternative to a vest that is still fairly lightweight and easier to fit on a kayak than a tackle box? Thanks for the help everyone it is much appreciated!

- Devon
DevFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

As an old fly fisher, I had the same thoughts when I took up yakfishing. I bought a vest made by Stolhlquist that has several zippered pockets that I had planned to fill with tackle.

This vest works fine as a PFD but I seldom put anything in the pockets. The problem is that I usually get soaked during the launch. These pockets are not waterproof so whatever I put in there gets soaked as well. I have found that storing my tackle in plastic boxes in the center hatch is much more convenient and everything stays fairly dry. About the only thing I ever put in the vest these days is a camera or cell phone, (after the launch), packaged in a plastic bag.

If I had it to do all over again, I would opt for a PFD that is designed for comfort over one that is designed for storage.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote