Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima597 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it. I had already looked at the Diawa Sealines so I am probably going to head that route. What gear ratio do you guys prefer and is there any downside to going with larger reel for more line capacity?

Sealines or, if you're more comfortable with coffee grinders, the Penn Battle. Great reels for sure. For the Sealines, any ol' bargain bin Sabre at Big 5 will do the trick (matched up of course).
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
taggermike

I have used sealines for years and was stilling killing fish on one of the original blue and black SL 30s until it was stollen a few years go. Good value and can often be found used. I have gotten away from higher gear ratio reels. How much speed do you need for most of our fishing? Even with yo-yo I'd rather just turn the handle faster and have the cranking power when I need it. I think they offer the sealine 40 and 50 in a 4.9 and a 6.1. The 20 and 30 are 6.1. And like broke loser said, you don't need huge line capacity for our local kayak fishing. You add in using brid and even a smaller reel will give you plenty of capacity. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
The Nothing
Junior

It's nice that reel manufacturers are making better performing drag systems. That was the main reason I use larger reels, not so much about capacity, just getting the fish stopped.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Freddy4130
Junior

200 yards?

That's wild. I've been fishing south Florida on the east coast and we all run 300 plus. Are the fish there that different? A decent wahoo will take 150 yards in 15-20 seconds. Guys get spooled all the time. I'm moving to San Diego today (in flight wifi). I'll be lurking the forums for this kind of info.
Freddy4130 is offline   Reply With Quote