Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Fishing Conditions- how much do you overthink your trip?

I'm curious what different fishermen take into account for ideal conditions....

Obviously weather is the first limiting factor.
I also keep reading water temp can be a huge determining factor depending on the species you're targeting.

Beyond that, how much do you like to dig in on your lunar conditions, etc?

I was reading that it's usually a good idea to launch in an incoming high tide and land before it's low... If nothing else for the sake of easy lanunch/landing. Most days I end up hitting rocks in Malibu when I come in so it tends to be pretty random.

How do you like tides for actual fishing activity and current for paddling? I've seen a few passages like "Halibuts love changing tides on a full moon during spawning"

OTOH, the internet is nothing if not full of conflicting information.

I'm also curious for opinions on Solunar info. Looking at the third, it's full-on Full Moon, which seems auspicious enough. Then I'm starting to read about Major and minor Solunar periods....

I've read conflicting reports... Some people say that the Majors (when the moon is directly over) are best for feeding, and others have said the Moonsets/rises (minor periods) are best for feeding activity. Both?

Looking at the chart for the 3rd, I see a Major period between 12:30 and 2:30pm and a Minor period between 6:30 and 7:30pm (I guess they vary in duration because of an elliptical orbit)... By that measure, you could easily be out on the water and fish through both...

At a certain point, I just get in my boat and put bait in the water, but I'm curious if anyone has consistent experience... Even if just anecdotal or something their dad told them.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

If you wait for the sun, moon, tides, temperature, season, work schedule, wife's blessing, etc.. to be perfect then you will never get out on the water. The best time to go fishing is when you can.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
Ggiannig89

My biggest limiting factors are weather and free time. I’ve also found that changing tides are best in my opinion especially in the bay bust also for working the kelp for bass and rockfish. But the only thing I truly check is the weather and whether or not I’ll be able to comfortably paddle.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

Fish when you can

Fish when you can.... don't overthink it...It's all about time on the water...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

If the stars align and I have the rare open window of time I go. Conditions will determine where. Catching something is a bonus. As Jim said, it's all about time on the water, away from the office, todo list and whatever obnoxious show the kids have on the tv.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my kids activities. I'm doing as much as I can with them while they still tolerate me around
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

Let me be clear-I am totally appreciative of the notion of just going fishing whenever I can find time. This is more theoretical question than something I would ever let keep me off the water.

Much as I’ve always heard people talk about it in passing, I’m just more curious if anyone looks at that kind of stuff with any real sense of conviction
Old 10-25-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
goldenglory18

I look at it, partially from a scientific standpoint (I'm a curious analytical type) and partially from a comfort and safety standpoint. For me, there are two types of "fishing days"

1) Bay/Marina - If the surf is up, and the intervals are short, then its probably going to be safer to stay inside a protected area. If I make that call, then I'm looking at change of tide (water movement.) Still water to me is dead water. What I fish for, in the size I'm looking for, I almost never find in still water. Days like this I find more numbers, less quality fish.

2) Open water (outside a breakwall or surf launch) - This is when the swell is low, or the intervals are long. Wind is rarely an issue in this situation so I then feel "safe" to venture out to more open and unprotected water. I pay less attention to the tide in these situations and more to weather (any risk of adverse conditions) and water conditions (temp, clarity, depth, etc.) This is when I tend to catch higher quality, but less in quantity.

Disclaimer: I've only surf launched once, and that was with the help of an experienced hand. When I look at conditions now, its to see the wave/swell height, and to see the lag between sets. From my minimal understanding of "surf launching" for a newbie, I'm looking for low wind, low swell/wave height and longer intervals/sets. YMMV.....

- Kenny
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
Saba Slayer

Moon Phase

Read last weeks article in the Western Outdoor News. Full Moon or New Moon?
It's in the in the "Long Range Season Primer" insert...
Frank LoPreste said..."Sometimes I get really close to thinking the whole moon phase thing is a bunch of hogwash. You can predict and plan a trip around the moon phase if you really want to but YOU CAN"T PREDICT THE CURRENTS. My feeling is just book your trips when it's most convenient.
Cast. Tim Ekstrom says..."But to throw a final wrench into the works, I have seen unbelievable fishing, coastal and offshore, unseat every theory and notion of what should be time and again...
Cast. Andy Cates Said..."You can't blame the full moon for slow fishing. We always tell people to book a trip that fits your schedule rather than trying to predict whether a moon phase is going to be better or worse. You pay your money and take your chance.
Cast. Kevin Osborn says..."My advise is to pick a good time for your fishing vacation and get out there...The single most important factor is current..."
Capt. Jeff DeBuys said..."...but just when you think you have it figured out you get a whole new set of rules...There is in my opinion, no set handbook to go by.
Cast. Art Taylor said...I encourage anglers to just go fishing when their schedule allows and not worry that their availability might not fall on the perfect phase of the moon.
Larry finished the article with...
"I'm inclined to go with with the above captain's experience and judgement that there are many other critical factors, like CURRENT, CURRENT, and CURRENT, which can't be predicted in advance..."

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
kenb
Junior

Prof, that was pretty much the same question I asked you when after being out all day you landed your kayak on leo beach and pulled out the halibut and the dozen other fish along with it. And when I asked you if you 'had been fishing out here a lot'? You told me with a smile, "it was beginner's luck".

Thinking more about it, it seems to me it's like most other things in life... it's how much time you put into something that makes it a success. You ain't going to catch any fish sitting in a chair watching a football game on Sunday afternoon.

What was your 'secret' on catching the halibut and the other fish that day?
kenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
kenb
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Fish when you can.... don't overthink it...It's all about time on the water...
Yes, Think that pretty well sums it up!
kenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
jorluivil

Tomorrow isn't guaranteed so fish today

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
ProfessorLongArms

I'm starting to detect a consensus here
Old 10-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #13
PapaDave

About the only thing I look at is the weather. Otherwise I just go.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #14
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
The only thing I check is weather......

The surf conditions on the webcam & wind so I can sail back...if I forgot to check, I have VFH. Noaa weather radio on the water, from San Mateo pt. To the Mexican border and out 30 nautical miles.
Catching fish is an added bonus I don't stress on not catching, because it's getting my exercise in I always find hunger fish, sooner or later...

Last edited by MITCHELL; 10-26-2017 at 09:12 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
taggermike

Ya, you may be over thinking it.
Like others said, if you wait for ideal you might never fish.
Personally I usually get 1 day to fish each week. (Which is pretty good for a married, employed, father of 2). So I'm locked in to sat or sun.
If the weather is looking good I have plenty of options and will usually hit LJ. If its moderate I might fish South SD bay. Its close, doesn't require much paddle and if it gets rough I haven't dedicated much time or effort. If its looking shitty but I still really want to fish I'll hit some super sheltered place. Like behind the high rises in Glorietta Bay or around the boats in the Coronado cays.
There are also some fresh water options. I live close to Otay lake. Its $10 to fish and launch and its a nice break from long LJ paddles. The lake is open on Wednesdays so its an after work option.

So I guess what I'm saying is rather than wait for perfect conditions to fish a certain spot, have spots you can fish in a variety of condition. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #16
Denis_Ruso

There are certain times of year and months that are better for certain species.

However for me, it's about comfort on the water. Personally, I prefer to go out on a day where I'm not miserable out the due to cold wind and choppy seas.

The fishing is secondary to the outing, unless of course its the right time of year for certain species. Then it's just about putting your time in on the big blue.

You can catch them on the low tide, on the high tide, on the uphill current, on the downhill current, on the windy day, on the glassy day. The human mind is by nature looks for patterns and trends. Fish are still gonna eat when they're hungry.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #17
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
However for me, it's about comfort on the water. Personally, I prefer to go out on a day where I'm not miserable out the due to cold wind and choppy seas.

The fishing is secondary to the outing, unless of course its the right time of year for certain species. Then it's just about putting your time in on the big blue....
+1000000
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
Iceman
Administrator

I fish when ever I can, but sometimes intel will dictate where and I always fish with more confidence when I have more information, one being tides, sticking at it know the slack might wake up the halibut and get them moving or waiting for through a tide change to see if it affects the current.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #19
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb View Post

What was your 'secret' on catching the halibut and the other fish that day?

Follow other anglers!

Sorry, I could not help it!
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #20
2-Stix

I don't kayak fish much anymore...but by January of every year I have already paid for all my boat trips for that season. Full day, over nights and 2.5 day trips are all locked in.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conditions, moon phase, solunar, tide