Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
Ggiannig89

Ikejime

http://luckypeach.com/guides/how-to-perform-ike-jime/

I watched a Japanese program with subtitles while I was in Hawaii a few months back and it was about ikejime. Are any of you guys using this method? The method in the link seems to be the long route. The main thing is severing the spine and destroying the nervous system. I keep meaning to bring a wire out with me while fishing but haven't remember yet. I love eating my fish and quality is important.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
King Saba

It works. Even simply bleeding fish out makes a world of difference as far as preserving the freshness of the meat. Remember that the flesh of fish is very delicate so any additional stress that a fish experiences breaks down the structure and fibers of the meat. Ike-jime destroys the nervous system thus preventing the flesh from breaking down at a faster rate. I have this debate with my dad all the time. He holds firm in the belief that a live stressed out fish tastes fresher than a properly killed, bled, and chilled fish. It's like comparing factory farmed beef to wagyu.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
King Saba

Since we're on the topic, where can a guy get some cheap stainless steel wire for ike-jime? I've seen some online made specifically for the practice. BUT, the prices were too much for my frugal-self.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Piano wire maybe? Not sure if it's SS though.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #5
GTboosted

From the article it appears you need to let the fish rest for a while affer fighting it so it dissipates the lactic acid in the muscles... I don't think we can keep any of our game fish alive for the specified time in our tiny livewells...

I guess the next best thing is to bleed them after bringing them up.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
PapaDave

That's interesting, I usually keep the fish alive as long as possible from experience. I always thought the fish tasted better when I did that.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
hiramehunter

It's hard to do all of the steps (whatever you think that is) on a kayak, especially when they're biting and you want to get back on the spot. But i usually try to knife it right to the brain area and twist it until I hit it just right. You'll see the fish "freak out" as you move the knife around. I also nick the gills to bleed it out and put in the water with a game clip (stringer) until it's done bleeding. Then I put it on ice (if possible). I think it makes a huge difference in taste.
I would try to do the wire thing but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Plus a large sponge would've nice to pin the fish down to do all of this. My 2 cents.
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
goldenglory18

I think someone on BD classifieds was selling these types of tools.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
Sheephead

Tried this recently and it was dumb. The japanese brand kill spike bent, the crashing wire was extremely flexible and hard to push into the fish, took 10min longer to kill the fish than it should have. Unless they make an english version, good luck hitting that 1/2mm area where you can actually do what the wire is intended for. It's way more complicated than the vid they show. Could work for small fish but its useless on #25+ fish.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
jbl_91762

Ive been watching youtube vids on how to perform this and most of the guys just use a old screwdriver filed down.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #11
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheephead View Post
Tried this recently and it was dumb. The japanese brand kill spike bent, the crashing wire was extremely flexible and hard to push into the fish, took 10min longer to kill the fish than it should have. Unless they make an english version, good luck hitting that 1/2mm area where you can actually do what the wire is intended for. It's way more complicated than the vid they show. Could work for small fish but its useless on #25+ fish.
It definitely takes a lot more finesse with larger fish. A long wire is a must as well.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
taggermike

I've been interested bin trying this. But I have a narrow kayak with little space to work. Being gentle with the fish and thuroughly bleeding it has giving me quality fish.
Maybe try it on a buddy's boat first to see if there's a difference. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote