Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Ggiannig89

What to look for in new used yak

So I’m considering buying a used hobie this “off season”. What should I or anyone else look for or be aware of when buying a used kayak? For myself is the mere anything in particular to look out for in the mirage drives? Any signs of wear and tear to be cautious about?
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
The NEW Compass is less then $2,000, Put your nickles away for a few months if need be.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Hamachijohn

If you want the Vantage "keep my butt dry" seats, you'll want the 2015 or newer. Good luck on your purchase!

That was my primary reason for upgrading my Revo 13. The MD180 drive reverse is a nice feature, but some have complained about the pull lever, and the V1 vs. V2 debate which you can find about in various forums. But overall, from 2010 to 2017 models, I haven't had anything noteworthy to complain about. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Hamachijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
King Saba

Looking back now I should've gotten a Revo 16 2015 or newer since my butt turns into swamp ass with my adventure 2014. So yeah like Makobob said, new seat.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
King Saba

But to add to your list, assess for:

Cracks, dents, sun damage, broken hatches, damaged rudder and lines, loose screws, broken screws, broken anything!, functioning mirage drive with intact chains and cables.

Damage to any of the things I mentioned above can be bargaining points.

The most important thing is to find the hobie that matches your fishing style. I like my adventure since I want to cover the most distance I can when I'm on the water. BUT, if you're a heavy set guy with balancing issues the an outback or pro angler may be for you. A revo 13 is great compromise among all the hobie line ups. Can't speak much for the Compass, but it looks good. Doesn't seem fast enough for me though!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Flounder

Cool Compass....Stacking up

Personally looking into Compass vs Outback. Good but not great. These are my opinions.

Lets start here. Few dedicated fisherman leave their kayak fully stock. We will all tinker repair and improve till the day we die. I don't have to have everything but it does make time on the water more enjoyable.

Issues to compare:
Drive: I want the 180 mirage. Its a costly upgrade on Compass bringing it within a few hundo of the outback. For my style of fishing Reverse is a must. 2k price point broken by A LOT.

Storage: Keeping neat. Outback has much more thought put into layout. Compass is a blank slate. Again having to spend $$ to add things that the outback already has. Keeping neat is key to not catching a hook or loosing a fish of a lifetime.

Seat: Compass : Lumbar support was there but outback seat kills it vs compass style. Still comfortable just not the best. Point outback and to upgrade the seat more $$$.

Rudder: Both are very responsive. not enough water time with either. Compass rudder storage under the yak is advantage in my opinion, but I can see where it could be a disadvantage but I like things out of the way.

Hull: Compass was a little wetter ride hitting 1-2 foot boat chop at speed but cut nicely through them, outback rode a little higher and front rides up waves a little more vs cutting them leaving me a bit drier. Both were tested without gear.

Overall:

Either can work but I am now leaning towards the Outback and probably going to go used just like you since I hate financing toys. I initially was attracted to the Compass only to realize the savings would not be there for me after adding the extra upgrades to make it MY fishing machine.

Hope this helps
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
Ggiannig89

Thanks for the input guys. I love my paddle kayak but I think it’s time for an upgrade. I’m going to save up for a bit more and see if it’s worth it to go new or find a bargain as prices continue to drop with the water temps.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
mike holding
Junior

Try inspecting the main features and look for cracks and tears. Having scratches are absolutely normal. I absolutely love this kayak for fishing. Hobie is one of the best sit-on-top kayaks. At what price are you getting it for ? If there is no much difference as compared to the original price. Save a bit more to buy a new one.

Last edited by mike holding; 01-03-2018 at 02:02 PM.
mike holding is offline   Reply With Quote