Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
warburto

Mac slayers report for La Jolla Saturday March 5th

The boat ramp is still closed so we had to stage at the bathrooms and wheel over to the ramp. We launched at dawn from the boat ramp into sloppy 1 ft. surf. I caught one across the bow that covered me from head to foot, so it was a wet launch. Once past the break, wind and waves were very mellow. Water temperature inside the reserve was 62 and out on the elbow was almost 64, not sure why there was such a big difference, but could have been my FF just warming up.

Once at the reserve line, bait was basically everywhere. Caught a mix of horse, greenback, and large anchovies (catching anchovies was a first for me). Ran a dropper loop with live macs and anchovies for about 3 hours for no love. When I'm on the water, I have a little GregAndrew on my shoulder that constantly tells me to change baits, and I did my best, changing the bait every half hour or so.

While I was soaking live bait, I dropped jigs repeatedly on everything that even looked like a mark on the FF. Had one taker but it wasn't what I was expecting. Was winding the jig in and felt it start to load up so just cranked through. Tension backed off and I thought I must have hit some kelp rack or something. Get it to the top and it's the biggest greenback I've seen and he's managed to swallow two trebles on a hook as big as his head.

Switched to bottom fishing using cut macs and squid around 11am. Had a hard time in some places getting the bait to the bottom or back up to the top without a mac on the end of it. Ended the day with one legal calico, one legal sheepshead, and a short calico. Paddled to the reserve edge trolling a large jointed rapala for no love.

Landed to ankle slappers around 1:30pm.

Didn't get skunked, but this hot mackerel bite is starting to get me down...
warburto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
FARRIER

Thanks for the intel
Old 03-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by warburto View Post

Didn't get skunked, but this hot mackerel bite is starting to get me down...

Time to practice poaching saba nomiso!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Nice report, thanks.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
Dannowar

Doesn't hurt to fly line in those big bait balls. Managed a healthy 28 last week