Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
yemff

La Jolla 11/3 skunked, again

This monday has been the 4th monday in a row going out in la jolla, and once again, no success.

launched around 6, tide was really high and the launch was all washed out. Winds were offshore,made bait right along the kelp, took probably 45 min for 1 green and 2 spanish. Made my way out and started drifting. By then the wind was starting to die and two other kayaks made it out, I was the only one out there for the first couple hours. Drifted for a while until the one frikin sea lion wouldnt leave me alone, it would come right under me, swim 75-100 ft away, surface, then come right back. This went on for a good hour or more so I couldnt drop any more bait in until that fucker left me alone. So I made my way out west to get some distance, and by now the wind started to really pick up. Dropped my greenie and it immediately got hooked on some kelp. Dropped another spanish and got a small bonito. By now wind was absolute crap and was out of bait. So I went and caught a couple small calicos in the kelp and got out by 3. All in all I saw 3 other kayaks and 1 boat.

here's my stories from the other days

10/27
Launched around 630, winds were offshore and swell was pretty big. Made 2 bait in about an hour. Went out to deeper water to drift, drifted for 20 or so min and finally get some line peeling off. Wait for a few seconds to put it and gear and line goes limp, bait is gone. Lesson learned to nose hook spanish macks deeper than the nostrils. My 2nd bait was a jack smelt, so dropped that in but it wasnt too lively. So by now its 10-11 and I cant make bait for crap, so I go try with iron with no luck. Now its 2-3 and I go make bait right away so I head back out, no luck and I head in around 5. I did see a whale come right between me and the kelp, also saw a turtle oddly enough.

10/20
launched around 6, winds were onshore, couldnt make bait for squat, took nearly 2 hours for 1 spanish and 1 green. Finally head out and get hit pretty soon but no hookup. Use the rest of my bait with no luck, go to make more bait and cant find them. Go try the iron, get stuck on the bottom, and break the tip of my rod off while trying to get unstuck. Try to make bait for the next 3 hours, get a couple greens. By now the wind sucks, paddle around until 5 or so, catch a 20" calico on the way in with my broken rod.

10/13
launch around 630, wind is offshore, get to the kelp and make bait immediately. Catch 3-4 macks on the sabiki at once. Get out away from the kelp, 5 min later hook up, its something big, I pull, it pulls back and the line breaks. Line is all frayed at the break, No idea what it was. Go in closer to the kelp, get a hit and bait is gone. Put another bait in the water farther out away from the kelp, 5 min later get hooked up, from the fight it feels like yellow. Right as I hook up another kayak paddles over to have me take a pic of the yellow he just caught. So I fight this fish for the next 20 min, ever time I have it close it runs. This happens prob 5-6 times, until It finally feels like its getting tired. Then the hook pulls, F me. I take the other dudes pic and go make some more bait. After that the wind comes up and my bait keeps getting caught in the kelp and I get nada.

One day Ill catch a gdam yellow.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Keep at it! Your time will come for sure.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Persistence pays off. You my friend have the right idea. Time on the water. I hope to see you out there one day. (I'll be out there tomorrow). Keep at it. Sounds like u have the right recipe for sure.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote