Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #41
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
First and foremost let me begin by congratulating you on a fine specimen. However, there are questions that I'm sure others would like to ask but don't because they don't want to kill your stoke.
Really unfortunate as I value this post I think most of all the responses. Please note all my responses/questions here are in all seriousness, not tongue in cheek or attempts at sarcasm.

Quote:
So, let's begin at the beginning.

Your thread says

Stopped caring about the fish and went to work securing my rods and paddle,

I will call you out on this comment for one reason and that reason is that you work for the CDFW. Your first and only priority at that time should have been the fish and not your rod or paddle or whatever you were dealing with.
While I personally agree with your sentiment re: CDFW employees, I would ask that you understand that to some people a job is simply a job where they can get paid. In my case, you're spot on and I truly failed at backing up part of the reason I signed on. Not debating that one cent. While I would like to say I didn't become completely ignorant about the fish, that is entirely besides the point.

The one thing I would respectfully ask about would be the paddle. For those paddlers who paddle and not peddle, would it not be prudent to have immediate and unimpeded access to the paddle as a safety issue?

Quote:
Second thing I'd like to bring up is the following comment, you said

After 5-10 minutes of this BS, I decide it's more than likely a WSB and not BSB, so I gaff it

Really? You weren't sure so you decided the best thing to do was gaff it?

It sounds like the whole thing took place over the course of 10-15minutes.........that's way to long of a time to decide whether or not you had a trophy fish or a fish that is completely off limits.
This was probably not stated in the most accurate way. The "more than likely a WSB" was meant to convey the feeling one might get when I've checked off as many marks as possible (belly ridge, black spot at base of pectoral, dorsal fin shape comparisons, slight bar markings (supposed to only be on young?) vs spots) but still have some trepidation about making the final call. At this point I had even talked on the phone with my friend (later videocalled) talking through ID's. Fish was being moved forward/backward at this point in time.In retrospect, unless one is 100% positive about ID, the fish should probably be released as soon as safely possible. I'm fairly certain I've trumpeted that message before, if not here than other outlets, and I believe in it; I fully forgot that message and got caught in the adrenaline rush of possibly/probably having a great specimen in hand.

Quote:
By the time you're done reading this you'll probably be like, 'who the f*ck is this clown' and it would probably be to late for me to say not to take it personal but I hope this event and my comments served a purpose, not just to you but to everyone else that cannot tell the difference between a wsb and a bsb.
Au contraire, I don't take it as a personal attack, just as a 'really, everyone should know better and act better (compared to knowledge/action taken). And I truly am thankful on being called out on this, not just by you but everyone. Fully agreed with the bolded part (my addition) of your quote.

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better I had a similar experience many years ago but when the fish came up belly up I knew Gaffing it was the last thing I wanted to do. The moment that fish came up I dropped everything and my priority was the fish.........yes, it was a bsb.

Again, nice trophy fish.
It doesn't really, but thank you. It also doesn't bother me as I know most everyone makes mistakes. Even if they aren't 'just like' or even 'almost like' mine, it's more important to me that we can learn from other's mistakes. I made one, I own up to it. I'm darned lucky it worked out in the end, but that was just it, luck.

I'd like to say my first priority hooking the first (original) BSB was the fish, but my actual first priority was trying to become un-attached to the behemoth, then rescue/revive. My entire mind screamed BSB on that one though, maybe due to the fact that I've seen them first hand on SCUBA and aquariums, with plenty of time to stare at it in the latter setting.

Again, thank you for the well written comment.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #42
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I would not know where to start a comment on this post (but congratulations would not be on the list).
Well noted. I hope my responses to other comments covers what you would say. If not, then I fully welcome more of what you have to say either in this thread or via PM if you would prefer.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #43
chancy94

Thats a FAT slug man congrats! and enjoyed reading your story about the event!

Explore More http://voidventure.blogspot.com/
chancy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:09 PM   #44
Whizz Bang

No worries

We are all looking forward to the next 3 page epic you post on the Sheepshead or Garibaldi gaff conundrum.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:51 AM   #45
Murray

Great fish and greater attitude and response to others posts. Not very often do I read someone agreeing when corrected. Thanks for your post and enjoy your catch. Now, go out and enjoy creation. It is obvious you respect it and just got caught up in the moment. You can join the rest of us regarding making mistakes. Blessings!
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:45 AM   #46
pingpangdang

Enjoyable post w/ detail. Hope you continue to post with as much detail w/o getting discouraged of possible critiques.

This thread possibly saved future fish w/ the critiques on how the fish was handled.

It's great we have so many anglers pationate about protecting fish especially when it comes to the BSB....keeps everything in balance.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #47
the dude

geez...this board never lacks drama.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #48
StinkyMatt

Congrats on a huge fish. Good eats.

I like how you handled yourself after you were told of mistakes you made. Very cool.

Everyone......everyone......on here has made many mistakes on the water.

Some mistakes regarding safety have almost cost a few kayakers their life. Some guys make judgement mistakes, some just don't know any better.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #49
momo fish

Voice of reason.. Matt for President!!
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #50
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Congrats on a huge fish. Good eats.

I like how you handled yourself after you were told of mistakes you made. Very cool.

Everyone......everyone......on here has made many mistakes on the water.

Some mistakes regarding safety have almost cost a few kayakers their life. Some guys make judgement mistakes, some just don't know any better.

Wow Matt that was....nice....

That's so unlike you...

Phishphood...you did handle that well...I'm impressed! Now since you got the niceties out of the way...you are clear to tell all these assholes including me what you really think ! ! And... when and where are you gonna kick jorge's ass anyway...?

Congrats on the nice fish!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #51
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I might have just told them to piss off Nice fat fish!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #52
lamb

Congrats on a nice fat cbass!

Hats off you for handling this post of yours the way you humbly did.

You live you learn.
A bunch of other new folks hopefully learned something new here too - that's all that matters.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #53
stevie951
Lurker

Cool Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Congrats on a nice fat cbass!
You live you learn.
A bunch of other new folks hopefully learned something new here too - that's all that matters.
Beautiful Fish brother!
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #54
Dave Legacy

I google'd that kayak and it's pretty neat! Can't say I have seen a whole lot of others like it.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #55
SorryCharlie

"It is not our mistakes that define who we are; it is how we recover from those mistakes"

I would say you handled that much better than some other "posts gone wrong" on BWE have been handled..... We all live and learn.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #56
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

How about some pictures to help anglers tell the differences from a BSB to a WSB?
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #57
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Phishphood - Well done presenting your case and not caving under all the cross-examination.

Your Sentence: Relax, Go kayak fishing, be safe and give the seals NOTHING!... and enjoy learning with the rest of us!

Closing Remarks: You're a stand-up fisherman, great attitude.

Case dismissed.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #58
2-Stix

You sound like a stand up dude. You earned that fish more than ever now. Maybe if I was nicer I would get bigger fish. LOL. Way to go!
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #59
govomit

fairness

Phishphood, didn't perform CPR on grandma ? Shame on you.
For the rest I'm with you all the way - hard made bait, hard to ID specimen, adrenaline, confusion, etc. Nobody is perfect in extreme situations, especially without much experience.

Big thumbs up for not having a fish-finder! How strange nobody is talking about fairness in this sport...
You love the fish so much that reviving is your primary goal ? Then leave your FF at home! FF fishing is like drone warfare - you win because of superior technology, not skill.
In the not so distant future we'll be able to just shoot them from the surface. What kind of "sport" would that be ? Like contemporary "hunters" with $$$ rifle scopes - a massacre.
For thousands of years fishing has been an (almost) fair hand-to-hand combat in the ocean. "Progress" has brought so many gizmos as to transform us in meat-harvesting cyborgs.
If you really like nature, think about balance and fairness. And resist electronics.
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #60
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by govomit View Post
. And resist electronics.
Electronics are best used for blasting talk radio in lineup at dawn....
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote