Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2022, 02:58 PM   #1
Dark_Knight_9C1

Silver Lake Crayfishing Restrictions?

Here at Silver Lake today. Saw several crayfish traps out already in the morning.
This afternoon I paddled around the lake a little and saw a guy in a power boat zooming around them, picking them up, and moving them. He almost fell out of his boat a couple times so I offered to help him move his traps. Well. He said they weren't his traps and was moving them be cause they were along the shore where the fish were and his daughter lost a fish which rapped around one of the ropes.
He told me they shouldn't be in the fishing holes. He said he saw a DFG boat collecting them all off the lake once.
I'm pretty sure he was just trying to justify what he was doing but I wanted to find out from others on this forum if this is the case.

-Keith
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_9C1

Went back to Silver Lake in the middle of the week. Probably the one guy complaining was gone and there were mor than a dozen crayfish traps along the shore there. LOL.
I had caught over 3 dozen quality crayfish at Gull Lake the two nights before.
I also got one 13" brown from Rush Creek so I was able to have Trout for dinner the night before we left.
I had a good bite in a little eddie on the opposite side of the creek the first day we got there. I lost the 4 or so hooks I had to the overhanging branches the first day. I bought more hooks and set up a stinger hook on the end of the night crawler. The next day when I cast in the same spot hooked the brown on the stinger hook after 5 casts. Thank God I learned about stinger hooks from ocean fishing...

- Keith
Old 06-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #3
Dark_Knight_9C1

Old 06-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #4
DanaPT

That's a good fish... when you want to eat use a stinger. When you mess around with trout... single barbless hook does the trick!

I would think you shouldn't leave nets unattended. But moving them is pretty ballsy.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Never thought of using a stinger for freshwater. Nice haul of Crawfish, and BrownTrout! Congratulations!!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote