Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt blues, 11-26-12

2 Weeks ago I went on a charter out of Dana Wharf and got skunked, but wasn't too surprised (water temp dropped 7º overnight). Went out today with Keith (Highwayman) and pounded the pipe and jetty for about 3hrs total for 3 measly bites.

Launched at 6:45 and stopped by the bait barge, but we couldn't wake the guy up. So Keith went without and we headed for the pipe. Water temp ranged from 62-63º. It was kinda cold out and there was lots of clouds. I was looking forward to no wind as the flag I check on the way to the harbor had been hanging limp. Came around the jetty to a brisk south wind. Strike one.

Got out to the pipe and started working it in about 50'. Fished all my standard colors from 3" Flurrys to the 5.5" Big Hammer. Just couldn't find anything willing to bite. When the wind died off a bit I realized that the current was uphill. Strike two.

Water was super clear and blue out on the pipe. Strike three. Finally got sick of the pipe around 9:30 and headed for the outer jetty. Water was too green and dirty. We tried anyways, but nothing happened. at 10:20 I realized I could be much more productive at and we headed in.

It was nice to meet and fish with Keith and we'll try to fish again before he moves on (he's on a road trip). He was going to grab some bait and head back out. Hopefully he found something willing to bite the live stuff. Super motivated to fish Mission or SD bay next monday.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
jaws197

That sucks about the strikeout Ed! If you don't mind some company let me know about next Monday as I am off and would like to join?
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
sanjuancapokayak

Thanks for the Report

I had a tough time waking the bait guy as well last week at about 5:45am. Sign says, OPEN 24-7. Guess we caught him at 25-8. Hope he's awake tomorrow morning. I'd still like to fish with you as well, this week I saw your post, but couldn't go on Mon. (today). I'll let you know if I catch anything tomorrow, gonna fish for halibut tomorrow- so I'm hoping for some live dines in the tank.
Whit-
sanjuancapokayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
dc1983

I was out Sunday, stayed in the harbor for a kelp bass and my PB calico at 5 lbs all caught on live bait.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuancapokayak View Post
I had a tough time waking the bait guy as well last week at about 5:45am. Sign says, OPEN 24-7. Guess we caught him at 25-8. Hope he's awake tomorrow morning. I'd still like to fish with you as well, this week I saw your post, but couldn't go on Mon. (today). I'll let you know if I catch anything tomorrow, gonna fish for halibut tomorrow- so I'm hoping for some live dines in the tank.
Whit-
If you have a radio you can call them and they'll wake up.

Otherwise with that generator running. . . You'll have to exit the yak and knock on the door if you want to be quick about it. Give em a few extra bucks. They'll typically look over your breaking the rules.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
blitzburgh

At least you were on the water
Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Yep, I was on the water and had good company too. Next week will be determined by gas money, but I should be able to swing it. I'll try to post up on Friday.

5lb calico in the harbor? That's awesome.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
sanjuancapokayak

5 lb Bass in the Harbor? Wow! Talked with a guy that says he catches a halibut in the Harbor just about everytime out. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong, I'm leaving the Harbor.
Thanks for the info on knocking on the door. I've got eleven bucks in my wallet a George Wash with Sleepin' B's name on it if he's not sawing Z's.
Gonna go knockin' and if I get skunked out the Harb...I'm staying in it next time.
Whit-
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
sanjuancapokayak

Dana Point 27 Nov 12 Tues. Report

You were right DanaPt. Thanks for the heads up. Was hollering to no avail. Got out and knocked the door. He didn't mind. Asked if I had a radio, Told him no. Then he said I could tap the window with a rod to wake him if needed.

Report on the fishing. Well, two things happened. Just when I started to think I'm getting the hang of this. This happens... Bought a halibut trap rig with the treble hook. My first soaked sardine hits the bottom and I put the rod in the rod holder ...to troll a bit. And within 10 seconds slam! Has this ever happened to anyone before? I pulled on this beastly fish for 2 1/2 hours! Problem was it was wraped or hooked on the bottom. The fish could take line out on the bottom, but - I couldn't gain any line from the bottom. My biceps ached and so did all my back muscles. Finally I just tightened the drag and hoped for the best and of course SNAP. Then, I look behind me and the intake hose came loose without me knowing it!
In full panick mode, I think " IM SINKING". Think ....Think ....Think.... My kayak is a homemade soap box derby kayak that comes apart in two sections (front to back). I look back and over 3/4 of the aft part of my kayak is full of water. My kayak is more similiar to a canoe than a kayak that floats on top.
As I'm thinking "Think , Think...." I realize the water is only in the back so it has to be the bait tank. I disconnect the wiring to the tank. Still full of water. My yak has two self bailing caps that let water out. Problem is I had taken on so much water that my water level had drop and they were below water level. So, I leaned to the opposite side and unscrewed one cap. Quickly the water was headed the right direction. Then I did the same on the other side. Just shows how quickly you can run into trouble out there.

I'd like to know how many of you have sunk your kayak? Today was a close call for me. Fish won too. Maybe someday I'll get it right and I'll beat those fish. Anyhow today was an incredible arm and back workout as well as a safety lesson. I'll be sure to rig up my baittank hose with more than a ziptie.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Amish Ed

I almost sank out on the Point. I was paddling a Cobra Tourer and was too heavy for it. It was rough and water flooded through the center hatch (they were famous for leaking). When I finally realized what was happening, I was half full. Luckily I had a coffee cup and was able to bail the yak out. I didn't have that yak too long afterwards.

Glad you're safe. Now go out to West Marine and get yourself a manual bilge pump. They move water really well.