Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Mother's Day Halibut

Any of you seasoned hali vets have a good recipe? I like to grill mine, but that's getting old. So, I'm looking for more of a "sauce" recipe if you got one to share.
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
steveooo

I've always just liked it on the grill, simple. One day my wife made this and I grilled it, and it was insanely good. By far my favorite halibut recipe. Little more prep than other ways, but well worth it.

Halibut with Cream Sauce
Ingredients
  • 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, cubed
  • 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
  • 1 1/2 pounds halibut steaks
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions
  1. Place butter and onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 34 in. x 18 in.). Cut fish into serving-size pieces. Place over the onion.
  2. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and seasonings. Set aside 1/2 cup for serving. Spoon the remaining sauce over fish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Fold foil around fish and seal tightly. Grill, covered, 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
KatFish

I don't know if this helps. My husband egg washes the filet then crushes up saltine crackers adds seasoning then he fries them up it's so delish. I normally make a side of plain white rice and steamed broccoli with lemon butter sauce and we also put a little sauce on our rice. I use 3 sticks of salted real butter not margarin it tastes weird Xand 3 juiced lemons melt together and pour on broccoli. She might enjoy it . Good luck! Nice hubby : )
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Hunter (The 80's Man)

This is what my wife makes and it's GOOOOOOOD!

http://www.huntfishcook.com/index.ph...emid=34&id=345

rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

My wife has a recipe for "T"s or swordfish, but I tried it on some hali last week and it was, as Kat say "delish" and you can grill or bake, but cook the fillets in Mango salsa, I don't really marinate it for any length of time as it will take on too much and you will lose the hali taste, as the meat is pretty coarse and will soak up anything quick.
This also is real good with trout on the barby, or anyfish you would grill whole or unfilleted I fill the cavity with the mango salsa and then drench the top of the fish with it, place all that on some foil with butter underneath the fish to keep from sticking and bbq on the top rack as usual, good stuff...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Here where I work we make a fantastic olive oil poached halibut. More intensive than the other methods listed, but it's mothers day lets do it up.

We start it by bringing a pot of olive oil up to 214 F any hotter and you are getting into frying territory. In a cheese cloth bag we tie up some fresh herbs an throw the sachet in the oil. For the first time using the oil let it simmer in the flavors for a bit.

Gently place your fillet in, use a slotted spatula or something similar just be careful. Let it cook up about 10 minutes or so, you know what cooked halibut should be like. Keep an eye on the temp, you want it to come out a nice white not golden.

We garnish it with some thinly chopped and fried leeks which are like a real mellow onion and way good.

Then for the sauce do up a nice lemon burblanc, it's that time of year cruise the hood and gank some off a tree. Grill up some asparagus and you're set.

Reserve the oil for future poaching NOT FRYING. With no particulate in it it will last a good while and imagine WSB would be excellent this way as well.

If we sell one tonight I'll snap a pic, it's way good
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Here where I work we make a fantastic olive oil poached halibut. More intensive than the other methods listed, but it's mothers day lets do it up.

We start it by bringing a pot of olive oil up to 214 F any hotter and you are getting into frying territory. In a cheese cloth bag we tie up some fresh herbs an throw the sachet in the oil. For the first time using the oil let it simmer in the flavors for a bit.

Gently place your fillet in, use a slotted spatula or something similar just be careful. Let it cook up about 10 minutes or so, you know what cooked halibut should be like. Keep an eye on the temp, you want it to come out a nice white not golden.

We garnish it with some thinly chopped and fried leeks which are like a real mellow onion and way good.

Then for the sauce do up a nice lemon burblanc, it's that time of year cruise the hood and gank some off a tree. Grill up some asparagus and you're set.

Reserve the oil for future poaching NOT FRYING. With no particulate in it it will last a good while and imagine WSB would be excellent this way as well.

If we sell one tonight I'll snap a pic, it's way good
Where the hell do you work? I'm on my way.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
old_rookie

Beurre blanc sauce

This is a very easy and good recipe to pour over your fish.

1/2 cup dry white wine (chardonnay, doesn't need to be $$$)
1/2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
1/2 lemon - optional
1/2 stick butter

boil up the wine and shallots (and lemon) in a sauce pan (not frying) and reduce it down so there is about 1/4" liquid at the bottom - about 10-15 minutes. Take it off the heat and start adding the butter in small pieces - stirring as it melts. If you leave it on the heat, it will separate the butter and you need to start over. You can use a very low heat.

Then pour over fish.
If you want it thicker, add a little 1/2&1/2 cream - thicken to your liking.

Or you can follow this:
http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/but...eurreblanc.htm

I've done this a number of times and it is really easy. I've used the wine at Fresh&Easy - $1.99 - works fine for cooking.

This is good for two servings.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
yotasan

halibut recipe

clean halibut, cut into nice thin slices, chill, grab some wasabi, eat.

great recipe for WSB and YT to.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
yotasan

halibut recipe

and don't forget the ALOHA SHOYU... but if haole, can go EMRIL LAGASSE style yeah?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hali.jpg (47.9 KB, 129 views)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
jorluivil

Give me whatever halibut you have and I'll try out a few new recipes, I'll let you know which one taste best.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotasan View Post
and don't forget the ALOHA SHOYU... but if haole, can go EMRIL LAGASSE style yeah?
BREAKFAST....!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH...........I hope I catch a a hali this weekend I feel like some raw fish and saki....
all of these recipes look great ,thanks for sharin
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #14
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Great recipes...Thanks!

Now, I just have to narrow them down
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Anthony179
A.T.

Just make one of each. That way no one here get their feelings hurt.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Hunters Pa

Grill like normal, but a rosemary honey butter really brigs out the flavor

1/2 stick butter softened
1/4 cup honey
1-2 tbsp finely minced fresh rosemary

mix it all together at least 2 hrs before you plan to use it. Grill the halibut as normal, but when you flip to cook the second side put a dollop of the butter on there to melt. careful, you may get a flareup if you are not using foil. Serve with a sprig of rosemary & maybe a bit more of the rosemary butter.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Saba Slayer

One more recipe

Cut the Halibut into small steaks, then split almost in half leaving a small piece of meat to act as a hinge, then place a couple of leaves of basil in the middle of the steak, then wrap the steaks in thin sliced Procutto. Now, put olive oil in a frying pan and fry the procutto wrapped steaks until done. Serve with fresh cut lime slices.
OR...cut the halibut into small chunks, soak in whipped eggs, then coat with panko bread crumbs. Now cook in oil, when finished, top with an avocado mango salsa...ENJOY!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote