Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool Your Public comment has helped!!!!!!!

There are meetings in SD next month, details to come. EVERYONE is invited!!!!

Copied from Zenspearo:

Some good news--some mixed news--some remains to be worked. The trend is good, but there is much much work to be done as can be seen.

See here.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=84573

From Terry Maas and Eric Kett, our RSG reps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Public testimony saves the day-MLPA Santa Ana

Still trying to recover from the last 3 marathon days, work today and finally diving on the weekend so Eric and I will have a complete report early next week.
Cutting to the chase, the testimony you folks gave as well as other impassioned fishermen really helped make our jobs easier when it came to horse trading. Almost every RSG member stayed to 1:00am to hear the last public speaker. Three to one, those favored more reasonable arrays. The conservative side highlighted rich wives from Pt. Dume who basically said they loved to kayak and fish, just not off their beach front property. The folks who made External C claimed to have modified their proposal to be more fisher friendly. You would not know that by all the red they presented.

At the end of 3 days, two of the break out groups compromised on proposed arrays looking a lot like External A, the FIN proposal (fisher friendly.) One group could not settle on a single array so it was placed into the pot for a “winnowing” vote by all members. The results will not be announced until Tuesday, but my bet is that it will be, again, more fisher friendly.

There are still some pretty ugly shapes in each proposal. You all will have a chance to review all proposals early next month. Again, your public speaking will be very important. Laguna is one of the toughest spots because of the size and spacing guidelines imposed by the SAT and because of the sewer outfall to the South, which prevents us from sliding the MPA south to help access issues. We regret this. The same goes for Coal Oil Point in Santa Barbara. Almost everyone included the campus and the points in their proposals—tradeoffs for other locations. Many proposals still close Pt. Dume and Paradise, but several do not. Deep Hole at County Line seems to be spared by most proposals.

At PV, most proposals save 90- to 100% of the North face. The ones that encroach here fan out from shore, which keeps more of the wsb hunting area in. La Jolla was the big winner, at least for now. Many arrays substituted an MPA just south of the Mission Bay opening for La Jolla, especially when connected with Del Mar.

There have some dynamics developing, which are very important for divers. By your efforts in communication and hard work, we now stand at the fihsermen’s table as an equal partner. We have become members of the FIN (Thanks Paul R.) and the PSO. In almost every array, exceptions are made for the high Level of Protection that spearing for coastal pelagics allows. Instead of the old rhetoric that spearfishing is a bad sport, we have been elevated as one of the most sustainable and selective of fishing groups. This is something we should all be very proud of.

Terry
Old 05-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
La Jolla was the big winner, at least for now. Many arrays substituted an MPA just south of the Mission Bay opening for La Jolla, especially when connected with Del Mar.

That is great news to hear! We have got to keep the pressure on, however. Turnout at these upcoming meetings in San Diego needs to be HUGE! Anyone who fishes La Jolla better be there to let them know how much it means to you.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
PAL

If anglers hadn't been turning out in force since Oxnard, more RSG reps would have voted for larger or more closures in key areas, putting us in a minority position at best.

I'm still trying to sort things out, but there's no question your efforts changed the outcome. One young man in particular came up time and again. Great work speaking up for yourself Clay!

Due to your public comment, most of the proposals that went forward are livable, but there will be at least one, quite likely two that would devastate our launch sites. This thing is far from over. And those who've been paying attention have seen how shifts in science guidelines and policy directives have fundamentally changed the rules, often at the last minute. We probably haven't seen the last of these sudden shifts, so the angling community must remain on guard.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
kurt

That's good news. Long way to go, however. Lets blow out the walls of the room in SD and save our grounds. One question, Paul: what's happened with the military closures and how is it affecting fisherman in general?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
landwhale

Took a pic of the early arrivals for the Tuesday night MLPA meeting in Santa Ana Thanks to all that came out

We still need more of you to show up at the workshops coming to your areas and the upcoming RSG meeting and everone to come to the BRTF meeting sometime in October there is still work to be done

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
zenspearo

There is no question that the gain we had in the last few days was due in no small part to the overwhelming kayak fishing turn out, particularly for places like La Jolla. You guys were simply impressive and the vibes, the applause, the sea of black shirts, it provides a glimpse of what we all can do together here.

I have some thoughts (okay, a beer helped, but I figure I'd jot it down before I forget).

In preparation for the roadshow workshops, all of us consumptives have to OWN the language used to discuss these issues and don't let the other side put labels on us. That has gone on for too long to our detriment.

First issue:

There are only two types of maps now. NOT fisherman maps and environmentalist maps. NO NO NO. By saying "fisherman map" and "environmentalist maps" we already alienated ourselves with the non-fishing public and elevated the fanatics to the "environmentalist" label.

NO NO NO

We are the conservationists, the ones who fund to preserve and promote habitat via our fishing license fees, dammit.

When we speak up for a map, there are balanced maps (one that balances fishing interests with MLPA goals) and there are extreme maps (one that shuts out all fishing holes and put out businesses). We urge the adoption of the balanced maps, and we reject the extreme maps. Agree?

Second Issue: The extremists will say that the economic pain due to closure is only short term. "Short term economic pain". This is how the latte-sipping crowd can diminish the pain felt by our community and the businesses they will shut down. As John Maynard Keynes would say "In the long run, we are all dead."

A strong point that we need to counter is there is no such thing as a short-term economic pain when you are the one getting wrecked. Look into the eyes of a young child whose father you are about to put out of business and go bankrupt and tell them it's only short-term. Look at a 60-year-old man with his whole life tied into his business, barely making payroll, and tell him "don't worry, it's only short-term pain."

There are other strategic issues that need to be synchronized among our communities to make sure that when we jointly fire up our cannons on June 29th, our rounds will hit the targets square on and hit hard and hit repeatedly.

June 29th and June 30th are La Jolla's do-or-die time. Let's work together.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
PAL

Quote:
That's good news. Long way to go, however. Lets blow out the walls of the room in SD and save our grounds. One question, Paul: what's happened with the military closures and how is it affecting fisherman in general?
The military issue was finally laid to rest this week when the Blue Ribbon Task Force came to the decision to count the pending closure areas on the north end of San Clemente, although Wilson Cove is optional for stakeholder proposals. A San Nicolas closure is also optional. In addition, Begg Rock to the northwest of San Nic was defined as outside military jurisdiction. MPAs cannot be proposed for other parts of SCI.

Many in the preservationist community were deeply disappointed. The result is pressure to make up the difference at Catalina. We might also have picked up more kelp at SCI, at the cost of serious losses such as China Pt to Pyramid Cove, which was one of the proposals. It was a mixed bag Kurt, that hopefully won't spill over to the mainland coast.

Quote:
June 29th and June 30th are La Jolla's do-or-die time. Let's work together.
Hear, hear! I'll see ALL of you at the SD workshops.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Dan

great updates . 29th/30th are locked in!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Billy V

Men in Black III

I would like to see Every Member of Big Water's Edge at both of the San Diego Meetings.
-This last meeting is proof that we can make a difference, and create our own destiny.

We need to fight hard now because you are never going to get another shot at this again. Never.

It pays to be a winner.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Good news, thanks for all of your effort Paul and MJ, but as was stated, this is far from over. We now have a chance to control our future, so as to not say one day, "I wish I could've prevented this."

Funny how the general public is not aware of what is going on, and how it could ultimately affect them.

Easier for zealots to accomplish their mission in stealth mode than to huddle masses when they know they are outnumbered.

For future meetings, we need to show presence, as was accomplished at the Santa Ana meeting. The black shirts (whoever came up with that = genius) definitely had an impact. You could tell by how people looked at you, and knew which side you were on.

If you are not comfortable speaking in public, it does not matter. You need to throw that to the wind for what you believe in. If you don't care to speak, then at the very least, show that you care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
I'm still trying to sort things out, but there's no question your efforts changed the outcome. One young man in particular came up time and again. Great work speaking up for yourself Clay!
If a 9 year old (yes, dragging on his coattails) can speak up for what he believes in, why can't you at the very least SHOW UP!

Clay may not be the most articulative speaker (ok, he is, I digress) but come on, guys! If a 9 year old can get in front of all those people, not knowing the intricate details only that his future fishing grounds could potentially get threatened, and write his own speech, don't you think the very least you can do is make your presence felt?

They talk about how they want to preserve fishing for their grandchildren...who then will teach those grandchildren to fish?

These zealots would have had a much easier time restricting/imposing limits, but that is not how their mentality works, understand that. Read between the lines, and listen to what they are saying...it is not about what is best for us, but what is most appeasing to them. Look at their handout tri-fold brochure. Middle page shows an outline 3 miles encompassing the coast and the islands, yet the very next shows a surf fisherman...hmmmm...a 3 mile cast...

We will be at the SD meetings, and I think we need to create a SRO event...enlighten your friends, neighbors, anyone, make them aware, but most important, create an impact by showing up!

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Clay is a winner, are you?

Seriously people remember his speaking because nothing drives the point home better than a kid talking about how safe and accessible the LJ launch is.

Thanks again and again for the updates and hard work Paul. Anything else you need let us know.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Mr GreenJeans

SD Meeting

Okay, the next meetings are in San Diego on the June 29th and 30th. I want to put it on my calendar so I can be there. Anybody know the time and location? I'll post it on the Dana Point board and see if I can get a few of those guys on the road.

David
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

San Diego Meetings

I understand that the next meetings in SD are June 29-30. I have not heard where these meetings are to be held. Anyone know?

My work schedule has prevented me from attending the meetings in LA and OC but unless the sky starts falling, I will be there for these meetings, (dressed in black, of course). Maybe someone could post the meeting details.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
Matt
Support your local pangas

June 30th is my birthday and I plan to be their to fight it out with the MLPA every step of the way! And I want anybody I have ever seen in LJ there!! There should be no excuse this time it is close to our homes and our precious fishery, the battle lines have been drawn choose your side by showing up and representing!!!!

Some of us have logged lots of hours driving, others of us have been fighting from day one, like our reps, if you fish LJ it is now time to pay your dues!! With the meetings in SD a true showing of force will be needed to show how serious we are, so let's do this. It is more than a month out so arrange your days off now!!

One question and that is will public commentary be allowed at both meetings? and if so what times?

The pressure needs to be turned up another notch again people, everyone needs to show up and speak and explain why LJ is important to them! From the consumptive users, to the c and r bass guys that live for calico!!

MAKE MOVES!!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Billy V

We need a ROLL CALL THREAD for the meetings on June 28th, and 29th.

Lets see the names of who is going to step up to the plate.
and who is Not.

We are a full month out from the meeting dates, thats plenty of time to make a firm commitment to attend.

----------------------------
If by some Act-of God you are unable to attend, you can substitute another member of your family, good friend, relative, etc. to stand in your place.

There are no excuses for Not being able to attend.
-Unless I'm sending Flowers to your Funeral
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #16
so cal shaggy

MLPA fight

It does my heart good to see you guys getting so motivated against this monster that is the MLPA. The dates for the San Diego meetings are tentative right now and may change and the site and times are not worked out yet either. I will do my best to get down to one of the SD workshops unless it conflicts with one of the Laguna, Newport or Dana Point workshops. These next series of meetings are workshops where the propossed maps are presented to the public so they can gather public feedback on them. I do not know if that means there will be public comment at these workshops or not. They (the governing bodies of this process)have not stated what will happen in the next series of workshops so make sure to check the board regularly for updates. Thanks again guys for motivating and getting involved, I am already gathering data regarding the socioeconomic impact these closures will have in my area. You guys could do the same in your areas, have as much ammo as you can to counter any arguments made for the extreme closures in your area. I started contacting local businesses in my area asking what large closures would mean for them.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
yakker420
Junior

I am taking time off from work to be there, those extreme enviromentalists really me. In 2008 I kept zero percent of the fish I caught, but I still like going out on the water and fishing.
yakker420 is offline   Reply With Quote