Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
kq
Junior

rods n reels

looking for suggestions for a jigging/trolling rig if that is possible for yellowtail
kq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
GregAndrew

If you are looking for a single rod for both, I would recomend a rod of from 20-50# to 30-60# line rating. While trolling rods are typically shorter (5-6 feet) and stiffer and Jigging rods are mid sized 6.5-7.5 feet, you might want to compromise more toward the size that you will be using more often. There are lots of reels that will fill the bill for both types of fishing. I would reccomend a 2 speed with a lever drag system. The low gear can help get the fish off the bottom in a hurry, and the high speed gear keeps the jig moving at a good pace for YellowTail. The lever drag systems let you adjust on the fly much more rapidly than the star drags. Top off the reel with 50-65# braid with a short leader of Flurocarbon and you are good to go.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
JrBasser

For a trolling/jigging rod, you really do not want spectra. Jigs are very difficult to cast successfully with spectra, and just when you get the hang of it, youll birdnest trying to fire at a school of boiling fish. Second, a lever drag reel is awesome for trolling, while a nuisance while fishing irons. By jigging do you mean surface Iron, Yoyo iron, bucktail jigs? There are a lot of gaps and circumstancial evidence lacking. If you are asking what rod and reel you should buy so that you can go to la jolla and catch a yellowtail no matter the technique, I'd love to know what you find. I would suggest a 7' seeker american live bait rod in a heavier action and a penn 500 with 40 izor line. Probably the best overall cheap, yet effective rod and reel for yellowtail in la jolla. If you plan on trolling live bait vs. lures you may want to scale down to 30 pound and use a floro leader. You may also find this combo difficult to cast lighter surface irons with, but it will able to handle the heavier yoyo jigs just fine, and will be a superb trolling rod.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
kq
Junior

thanks for the replies

to get more specific I will be jigging with irons and trolling with lures. i live and fish in bahia asuncion baja ca. sur. I have some experience with both of these techniques but out of a panga using other people equip. maybe it would be better to have 2 different rigs? also do you guys have much luck trolling with lures in la jolla and what do you use?
kq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

i agreew/basser.....no on the spectra unless your potholing kelp, or maybe on a leverdrag trolling rod....if i needed two poles on the cheap for targeting yellows in LJ i would get one 5-6' #30-60 pole w/TLD15 Ldrag/#30mono line, the second would be a 7-8' #20-50 pole (think shimano volterus or talus) with a narrow body TLDstar (like 70buck at squidco) or penn 500/30lb mono....the best advise i can give you is; a)buy good reels (shimano TLD, Diawa Sealines, penn500's) and cheap poles.
b) go to squidco if your here in SD for your reels and tackle, they are by far the cheapest place i know of here.
c) trolling lures is productive here, but not as good as live macks....buy a couple sabikis and a 6pack igloo cooler (if you don't have a bait tank) make bait with the sabiki and use the cooler as a tank, a couple macks will stay alive all day in one and its easy to change the water.
d) if you really want to catch a trophy fish, hire a local kayak fishing guide, they know the area and most fish here daily, they may even have extra gear laying around that you could borrow
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote