Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
philr21

Tokyo Bay Sharks

Always checking out the board, but since I'm stationed in Japan, don't really post on here. But this was a cool experience for me, biggest fish from the yak, and since a cousin to SoCal's leopards thought ya'll may be interested.

I've wanted to get one of these dochizame as they are called locally from the kayak for some time. With a bit of planning and the weather forecast lining up, the ishimochi (croaker) moving in close to the base and brought the sharks with them. Decided it was time to make a trip out and see how the day went.

Got a suzuki seabass to start, then horse mackeral, croaker, whiting, (all of which made good bait), tasty conger eel, a greenling, and 3 sharks. These guys are cousin's to California's leopard sharks. Taste the same, look similar, fight the same and eat the same baits.

All in all, turned out to be an awesome time. Enjoy the pics and video. Have more video but just uploading the one of the biggest shark for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=720fAMTdoDI
Attached Images

philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
yaker81
Banned

Very cool. I go to Japan once a year to visit the inlaws and fish up in the mito area. Gonna be transporting a kayak over there soon. Really want to get down to Okinawa and slay it.

Thanks for the post.
yaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
captnblood34

That's awesome! Great job
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
JeffB

That's kick ass. That croaker has a wicked eye. How do you like it over there? I wanted to get stationed there at Hansen with 9th ESB, but instead spent all nine years at 7th on Pendleton. They sent me out on 6 deployments, they wouldn't let me go.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Rufus

Love the American flag on a yack in Tokyo Bay.

Just sayn'.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Cool!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i MUST know what kind of reel that is! i like the power handle on it!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
lamb

Love seeing the fish from other parts of the world.
Pretty cool looking catches there
Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
kurt

Looks like a great day of fishing. Love to see reports from other places. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
philr21

Vincent- Shimano Conquest 800F. Absolutely bitchen reel.

Thanks all for the kind words.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
philr21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaker81 View Post
Very cool. I go to Japan once a year to visit the inlaws and fish up in the mito area. Gonna be transporting a kayak over there soon. Really want to get down to Okinawa and slay it.

Thanks for the post.
Japan's pretty cool. Out of the 18 years I've been in the Navy, all of it has been in Japan with the exception of a tour at CENTCOM in Tampa, Afghanistan, and Diego Garcia (plus some short stays in San Diego and Rhode Island.)

I'd probably retire here if you could utilize SOFA priviledges, but difficult at best. Fishing is great and don't hear of people being lit on fire in their car at 7-11 for no reason.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
JarrodMc

Great post and pics. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
PE.rider

There's quite a few species that are fun to catch in those waters.

Great pics and thanks for sharing.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
belloscm
belloscm

Nice catch! Hmm..., looks a lot like the entrance to Yokosuka Harbor.
I had my OK Scupper Pro TW with me when I did a C7F tour in 00-03. Launched out of the Yoko Yacht Club and fished the breakwater and out around Monkey Island. Caught lots of Aji, an occasional suzuki, and was routinely harassed by the local commercial fishermen.
belloscm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
FishNinjaY

Great pics and video..

at around 3:13-3:25, I swear.. it looks like the shark has something huge in it's mouth. What am I seeing? Do you keep these, or release?

Thanks for posting.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
spottie slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
i MUST know what kind of reel that is! i like the power handle on it!
I believe its a Shimano Calcutta. If I'm not mistaken.

cuda 14 ftw
spottie slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
philr21

Hi guys.

Small world. This is the back side of base, behind Chili's (used to be Seaside). The fish aren't always in there, but the ishimochi (croaker) moved in pretty close which brought the sharks with them. For some reason the Japanese commercial guys think they own the water. It gets really frustrating at times. They'll even come tell you that you can't fish certain areas when you are in a boat in wide-open ocean, it'll drive you nuts. Had one tell me to go back to America in my old boat. My wife is Japanese, so I've learned to deal and can sometimes see both sides, it is what it is.

I kept these to eat, almost identical to leopards back home. The shark grabbed the fin of one of the other sharks, had to shake it off!

Reel is a Calcutta Conquest 800F. As with the TE, they quit making them!!!! Pisses me off to discontinue such an awesome reel. The new models are the F series (boat equivelant of the new Calcutta D). Similar in shape, but lacks clickers and silver in color. Also 100 bucks cheaper. Like the Conquests and TE's better.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
gear junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr21 View Post
I'd probably retire here if you could utilize SOFA priviledges, but difficult at best. Fishing is great and don't hear of people being lit on fire in their car at 7-11 for no reason.
Right there with you on that. Would probably move there if I hit the lotto. White Beach on oki is awsome for spearfishing....gotta go by the pier once you come down the hill. I really miss coco and maxvalu.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #19
philr21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
Right there with you on that. Would probably move there if I hit the lotto. White Beach on oki is awsome for spearfishing....gotta go by the pier once you come down the hill. I really miss coco and maxvalu.
Ha... No Maxvalu around here, but Coco's is great everywhere.

I do some spearfishing around here in Tokyo bay, but the water is still a bit cold. Not sure at what water temp I can break out my 3mm Gat-Ku wetsuit? Right now 59-61 degrees, still chilly.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
belloscm
belloscm

Tokyo Bay Sharks

"For some reason the Japanese commercial guys think they own the water." I experienced that attitude first hand, and was told as much by my Japanese in-laws. I was also told to smile back and to politely ignore them, even when they said: "#@! Gaijin @%&$!!!"
Sumimasen!

Pulling up a sabiki rig full of aji right in front of them would almost always set them off. I soon learned not to fish in the middle of the local fishing fleet.

Btw, where do you get your Japanese tackle? There used to be a high end tackle shop in the Daiei Mall, but I hear that it is now closed. I used to spend most of my allowance in there.

Last edited by belloscm; 04-24-2013 at 11:26 AM.
belloscm is offline   Reply With Quote