Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
IMTHESKI
Junior

My Personal Yardsale/Rolling Safety Advice!

My X-Factor hasn't been out in a VERY long time. So I spent a night lurking here to see what has been going on and what is new. The next morning Monday(6/10) I ran by OEX Mission Bay to get a few needed items. I made a few more errands and hit Dog Beach in OB. Crossed the river outlet then climbed over the concrete barrier to go play in Mission Bay. Was having a great time with no bites, even after 8-10 circles around the bait barge. I decided to make a run for the Point Loma Kelp beds. After no bites and a great eight or so hours on the water I decided to make a surf landing at Dog Beach. I thought I had it all planned out. The things I really cared about were in hatches or leashed, minus my sabiki use rod. I was doing great for awhile then got hit by a wave(guessing 4-6'), went a bit sideways but was paddling through it. Then the second wave....went sideways, rolled a few times and was wrapped up in my paddle lanyard. Now I have a semi-water filled kayak pushing down, my life vest pushing up with me in the middle getting a nice hug from my lanyard I was tangled in. I fought my way out, gathered my floating gear/trash bag and lost a rod/reel. I also snapped the bungee handle thingy on the right side handle(off to Mission Bay OEX soon to get that fixed, they do great work!)

Here are some valuable lessons I learned...

1. Don't just plan on the "if's". Think them through the entire way in detail in a worst case scenario.

2. Lanyards/leashes are great in the open water if you drop something. On the way in shortening them down might be a safer idea. Getting tangled is pretty scary when it is happening. I am used to getting thrown around the surf, adding a 14' kayak is a whole different animal.

3. Sunscreen....reapply. I did an initial spray and thought I was ok. My legs are roasted and it has prevented me from doing much all week. I usually burn pretty well, I swear my ankles have nerve/tendon damage! Didn't realize I was roasted until I was at home washing off all my gear. My legs match the Coke can!

4. Sort of a #1 thing but have a change of dry clothes. Drove home sitting on a sweater I happened to have in my back seat.

Some things I did right...

1. Left a note for my wife saying exactly where I was going, just in case.

2. Double checked all my safety gear and items before hitting the water. Found out I also need to replace the middle plastic clip on my forward hatch and towing wheels that have worn out from heat/drying out.

3. Had my wallet, fishing license, cell phone in a quality zip-loc bag. They all survived!

4. Kept calm, learned from my mistakes and had a great time doing it! It might happen again and I will be better prepared.

Last edited by IMTHESKI; 06-14-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added zip loc bag info!
IMTHESKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Thank you for sharing that. Especially about the paddle leash.

Glad you are OK.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
theluckypig

i too had a recent tumbling... it was mostly my attitude that got me in trouble... i agree whole heartedly with your #1, prepare for the worst regardless of how things may appear... glad you are ok.
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
IMTHESKI
Junior

Thank you for the well wishes! It was one of those moments that was scary that got exciting once I was safe then was embarrassing once I realized I had an audience on shore. It was pretty cool that a surfer who saw it offered to help me pull my kayak to the parking lot. They are pretty heavy when full of water and the hike from Dog Beach to the parking lot is a long one! I said no thanks but should have just gotten my gear sandy and dumped the internal water. I spent a ton of time later washing everything off anyways. One thing is for sure. Once you flip it gives you a whole new look at how gear is stored. Considering finding a jailer style(4" or so) key type ring that hinges to keep my irons on, maybe some plastic tabs in between them to keep them from getting banged up.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
dorado50

you actually dragged the kayak when full of water?. Nice workout I suppose

kayak 101....all leashes to be unsecured when launching and upon landing. you could accidently hang yourself.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
IMTHESKI
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
you actually dragged the kayak when full of water?. Nice workout I suppose
It was maybe 15-20% full. I took plenty of breaks too while realizing how much I need to get back in shape. A huge Thank You to the inventor of the kayak wheels!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
IMTHESKI
Junior

I also got a weird black spot where my right foot goes. It is either a tar ball I smashed into the plastic somehow or burned rubber from my Reef sandals. I have read on here similar things happening with tar balls. I just know a brand new green scrub pad only cleaned off about 85% of it on a gray Malibu X-Factor. I have had the kayak since 2007 or so when OEX was still in Point Loma over by H&M.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
jorluivil

Live and learn.

It usually takes one good toss to wake you up and open your eyes. Glad you're ok.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
taggermike

You might want to go with out any fishing gear and see
What your kayak does, and doesn't do, in the surf. Get a feel
For how the yak handles with waves from all angles.
Seriouly, the best surprise is no surprise. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
I was told never use a paddle lanyard in the surf zone...it is very dangerous...thanks for the reminder...glad you made it in safe.
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
sharjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTHESKI View Post
I also got a weird black spot where my right foot goes. It is either a tar ball I smashed into the plastic somehow or burned rubber from my Reef sandals. I have read on here similar things happening with tar balls. I just know a brand new green scrub pad only cleaned off about 85% of it on a gray Malibu X-Factor. I have had the kayak since 2007 or so when OEX was still in Point Loma over by H&M.

If it is / was a tar ball, try WD40...
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Shortening your paddle leash is not going to help. You need to completely unstrap your leash from your paddle, and make sure you tuck it away so it does not tangle you up. Always make sure you get out on the ocean side of your kayak...or you'll be sorry!