Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #21
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
carcass in the freezer until trash day

Brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that. Problem solved!

Wish I did that last time. I double bagged the carcass but it sat 4 days in over 100 degree heat. My trash can has never been the same since and my gf will not go near it ever again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #22
RussH
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I believe there is a fish cleaning station at the south boat ramp located near sea world. As mentioned, dig a hole and put em in the ground. Just dig deep enough so critters don't get to it, but its excellent fertilizer. Used to work at a nursery in Arcata, CA and after Salmon fishing my boss and I would place all remains near his prize winning trees. He swore by it.

Drove by the South boat ramp by SeaWorld. Posted... no fish cleaning at what appeared to be the fish cleaning area... So I guess.. Nope.
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #23
Jkfish136

Put the trash in the freezer

I put everything carcass, bone, bloodline in a trash bag, label trash on it then put it in the freezer. Take it out to the trash on morning of trash day.
Jkfish136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
Brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that. Problem solved!

Wish I did that last time. I double bagged the carcass but it sat 4 days in over 100 degree heat. My trash can has never been the same since and my gf will not go near it ever again!

Get a bucket of strong pine-sol solution and pour it into the can, getting as much of the can sides as possible, and let it sit til trash day.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #25
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Get a bucket of strong pine-sol solution and pour it into the can, getting as much of the can sides as possible, and let it sit til trash day.

Thanks Hunters Pa I'll give that a try

I even tried bleach and hosing it down and that didn't work

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #26
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
Drove by the South boat ramp by SeaWorld. Posted... no fish cleaning at what appeared to be the fish cleaning area... So I guess.. Nope.
Sorry about that RussH. Thanks for the confirmation.

My buddy used to dive over there and said that he'd clean his Halibut there, but maybe he's just doing it at the sink.
I know there is a decent restroom facility, but its been years since I've launched from that area.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #27
SITTINBULL1979
Junior

Filleting while on the water.

This may be a dumb suggestion, but isn6 it legal to fillet you fish on the water as long as you leave one square inch of the skin on each fillet? I'm pretty sure I read that in the California regulations manual. The rest you should be able to just dump in the water right. I guess that could cause some unwanted attention from larger predators though.
SITTINBULL1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #28
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SITTINBULL1979 View Post
This may be a dumb suggestion, but isn6 it legal to fillet you fish on the water as long as you leave one square inch of the skin on each fillet? I'm pretty sure I read that in the California regulations manual. The rest you should be able to just dump in the water right. I guess that could cause some unwanted attention from larger predators though.
Doing this in the bay is much easier than out on the ocean, but you are correct.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #29
mclanea

Appreciate this thread. My wife called me last week while I was on the road. We filleted Mon night and by Wednesday the back yard was full of flies and stench.

Lots of good tips, especially the freezing tip!

mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote