Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
spudz

Viking Kayaks Profish Reload Review and Modifications

Stumbled upon an opportunity for a Viking Kayaks Profish Reload. Anyone have any experience with these kayaks? Looking forward to hitting the water this weekend!

Last edited by spudz; 02-24-2015 at 05:56 AM.
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I've read nothing but awesome reviews about it, unfortunately I haven't been able to find one down here to demo or look over. Keep me posted on the review please.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
spudz

I haven't had any experience with the Viking kayaks, yet I've seen them on the internet. I didn't think they were available here in the states. When I saw one was available I decided to go for it. This is my first review and I hope it'll be helpful.

The Basics:
The Viking Profish Reload is 14' 9" long, 29 1/2" wide and empty weighs in at 65 pounds (sorry John, I was off by 10 pounds)

The Tackle Pod comes standard. The following items did not come standard with the Viking: seat, Chill Pod and Kid Pod/Flat Deck. Additionally, this Viking had 4 flush mount rod holders and rudder installed.

The Chill Pod weighs in at 11 pounds and is secured in the tank well area.
The Tackle Pod is roughly 2' 4" x 11" and weighs in at 8 pounds.
The Kid Pod/Flat Deck is roughly 2' 6" x 11" and weighs in at 6 pounds.

Took the Viking on her maiden voyage to Leo Carrillo Beach on Friday morning. Mild surf conditions, smooth launch and easily punched through the surf as I headed out to meet John and Pete.

Very fast and stable. I was surprised how effortless it was to pick up speed and coast with each stroke. Great primary and secondary stability - similar to what I experienced with the Ocean Kayak Trident 13.

The rudder is made of a type of polycarbonate. No flex and strong. It is wider than most blades seen on most kayaks and it hovers slightly above the keel line. Which means less contact with the water and slightly less responsive as other rudder systems found on most kayaks. But still adequate - it got the job done. The rudder is set in the downward/deployed position. There is no means to deploy/retract the rudder as seen in other rudder systems. A length of bungee keeps the rudder in the downward/deployed position. Yet, allows for limited retraction to prevent snags. I paddled through some thick kelp throughout the day and didn't get snagged once. The only trouble I had with the rudder was due to me not tightening up a bolt which resulted in the rudder sticking a few times.

I love the Tackle Pod and Kid Pod/Flat Deck! These are interchangeable systems that do not provide access to the hull, yet has ample space for gear storage.

The Tackle Pod is roughly 2' 4" x 11". It comes with a small cutting board on top and a cup holder. A flip up door secured by a bungee provides easy access into the pod. It is reasonably water tight. Tackle storage, lunch, small dry bags, etc. This pod is made with fish finder mounting in mind. A place to secure a battery or two and an area to install a transducer at the bottom of the pod that comes into direct contact with the water.

The Tackle Pod can be easily removed and swapped out with the Kid Pod/Flat Deck. This measures roughly at 2' 6" x 11". It has a hatch lid that allows for storage of a few items within it. The Kid Pod/Flat Deck clears up the deck. But, my 3 and 7 year old daughters love having a place to sit (not both at the same time) while paddling around the Channel Islands and Ventura Harbors.

There are three small bucket hatches that have drain plugs in them. They do not provide access into the hull. Not sure how useful these will be, perhaps a live well? Regardless, they are a pain to open/close - especially with wet hands! The bow hatch is easily accessible and is water tight. It allows for storage into the hull - I've stored my wheels, dry bags and a spare paddle (broken down 2 piece) here. But don't expect to store your rods here - too tight and not enough space for them.

The tank well is LARGE and can store quit a bit of gear. The Chill Pod is an 11 pound storage pod designed to be placed here. It has a unique hatch which is easily managed. It was designed to be a cooler for fish (or beverages ). As a storage system for gear - It may be impractical. Gear is typically difficult to retrieve while on the water- due to the gear sliding everywhere and may be difficult to reach. The tank well provides enough space for a milk crate and more. But, not enough eyelets and no bungee in this area to secure your gear. Would have to customize it further yourself to make the tank well efficient and useful.

Although the surf was mild, I would expect this kayak would have no problem punching through waves/the surf zone on more challenging launches. This kayak is fast, accelerated easily, tracked well and experienced good primary and secondary stability. The rudder system is adequate - although you cannot retract the rudder to maintain a fixed/static upright position, I was pleased I could zip through the kelp all day without a snag. The Tackle Pod is easily removable and great for storing tackle boxes and other gear. I really like how I can rig the fish finder, battery and transducer to the Tackle Pod. I wish there was enough room for storage of rods in the hull - Thus breakdown of the rods/reels upon launch/landings is necessary. Scalloped deck above the bow hatch + bungee on the Tackle Pod lid is used to secure the rods on the deck.

What's next for her? I'll be installing a fish finder and a few gear tracs soon. Again, this is my first review and I hope it was helpful.

Last edited by spudz; 09-14-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
yaksailor

Great detailed and comprehensive review, Eddie. That does look like a sleek kayak.

Nice fishing with you and Pete on Friday. The surf and wind conditions were perfect until about noon. Too bad the live bait didn't produce, but the rock fish were biting the plastics!
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
spudz

Wildernesswanker,

Just let me know when you're headed this way for some fishing, you're welcome to try her out for a paddle!

Last edited by spudz; 06-24-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
spudz

John,

Thanks for the compliment, Hope you enjoyed the review.
It was nice fishing with you and Pete. I don't get to make it out as often as I'd like. But thanks for keeping me in mind. It was a nice day to be on the water. Here's a good pic, enjoy!

Last edited by spudz; 06-24-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #7
ToroViking
Junior

Hi everyone, can anyone give me the sizes of the plastic rounds to fix the probe under the Tackle Pod del reload? Bore sizes are also good. So I take advantage of the work ... Thanks in advance!

Inviato dal mio SM-G960F utilizzando Tapatalk
ToroViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
ToroViking
Junior

Viking Profish Reload motorized

https://youtu.be/pFrHmkv6hcg

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 7 utilizzando Tapatalk
ToroViking is offline   Reply With Quote