Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Harry Hill

question about YT prep

A few years back I ate some smoked YT that caused an allergic reaction, anaphylactic shock, heart slowed down, generally a bad deal. I have since learned it was probably because the YT wasn't handled properly after it was caught, it should have been bled, and cooled down immediately as the meat starts building up some toxins if it isn't cooled after caught. So my question is what do you guys do to take care of the fish after it is caught? I haven't had the problem since with sushi or prepared YT but I don't want another experience like the first one. How long is your fish in your boat before you go to shore? Do you carry ice?
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
A few years back I ate some smoked YT that caused an allergic reaction, anaphylactic shock, heart slowed down, generally a bad deal. I have since learned it was probably because the YT wasn't handled properly after it was caught, it should have been bled, and cooled down immediately as the meat starts building up some toxins if it isn't cooled after caught. So my question is what do you guys do to take care of the fish after it is caught? I haven't had the problem since with sushi or prepared YT but I don't want another experience like the first one. How long is your fish in your boat before you go to shore? Do you carry ice?

I bring a burlap sack and put it over the fish while keeping the sack wet when I come in. If I decide to keep the fish, I go in and stop at the nearest gas station for ice.

Some sport boats keep the fish on deck the entire day in a sack if they don't have a RSW.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

Have you had a thorough allergy screening yet? I wouldn't consume any more YT until you have! I had an allergic reaction from shrimp that turned out to be antibiotics from the farming process, so now as long as I eat wild shrimp I'm fine. It could be you are allergic to something else that was present in that YT. A simple blood test will tell you a lot.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
Have you had a thorough allergy screening yet? I wouldn't consume any more YT until you have! I had an allergic reaction from shrimp that turned out to be antibiotics from the farming process, so now as long as I eat wild shrimp I'm fine. It could be you are allergic to something else that was present in that YT. A simple blood test will tell you a lot.
I have eaten YT since the incident without any problems but I don't want a repeat. I think if I catch one I will head right in or release it if I can't. I don't know how long it takes for the toxins to build up so I wouldn't want a fish sitting on the deck all day. One of those freezer type game bags might do the trick.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
ctfphoto

Are you allergic to peanuts or any food products? .... smoked yellow could have been soaked in some peanut oil.

Sesame seed oil?
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Are you allergic to peanuts or any food products? .... smoked yellow could have been soaked in some peanut oil.

Sesame seed oil?
Nope, I don't have any food allergies, I'm like a human garbage disposal, I eat everything. That was why it was so surprising to have this reaction. I didn't even know I had a problem until I got to work to relieve the guy on duty. He asked if I was coming to work like that and I didn't know what he meant until I looked in the mirror, my head was all swelled up and tomato red so I drove my self to the hospital and they gave me antihistamine and adrenaline to keep my heart going. No problems since but I want to make sure I handle the fish correctly to make sure.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

A high content of MSG in the seasoning? MSG can make me a little loopy with an elevated or erratic heart rate. MSG in seasoning is not as common now as it used to be, but it's still prevalent in Asian markets.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
bmercury

If you had a true anaphylactic reaction I wouldn't think you would go near it again.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
If you had a true anaphylactic reaction I wouldn't think you would go near it again.
I was a little shaky the first time I tried it again but I was pretty sure of why I had the reaction and I love fish. Now what I do is take a bite and wait a little while to see if anything feels weird. The first time I should have recognized the stuffiness of the allergic reaction. I was just worried about getting to work by midnight. So I ignored the symptoms. I also shouldn't have driven myself to the hospital, when I got checked my blood pressure was something like 50 over 20, the nurse kept checking it because she couldn't believe I walked in under my own power. If I have another bad reaction I will be done with YT but there are other fish out there to catch and eat, and I love fishing. I'm chomping at the bit to try LJ.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Zed
BANNED

Sounds like Scombroid poisoning. Name comes from tuna (scombridae) but it occurs in other fish not chilled enough. Bacterial buildup which produces histadine which is converted to histamine which causes anaphalactic reaction in normally non allergic people.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Sounds like Scombroid poisoning. Name comes from tuna (scombridae) but it occurs in other fish not chilled enough. Bacterial buildup which produces histadine which is converted to histamine which causes anaphalactic reaction in normally non allergic people.
that is what it was Zed, thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #12
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Nope, I don't have any food allergies, I'm like a human garbage disposal, I eat everything. That was why it was so surprising to have this reaction. I didn't even know I had a problem until I got to work to relieve the guy on duty. He asked if I was coming to work like that and I didn't know what he meant until I looked in the mirror, my head was all swelled up and tomato red so I drove my self to the hospital and they gave me antihistamine and adrenaline to keep my heart going. No problems since but I want to make sure I handle the fish correctly to make sure.
Anaphylaxis isn't usually something that hits you the morning after a meal, assuming that is the timeline. You might have been treated for anaphylaxis but if that were truly what you had, I would suspect something else were the cause e.g. ANY medication (antibiotics to some old Motrin you might have popped that morning) taken at the time, something you had that morning for breakfast or something you inadvertently had contact with.

I have had some not very well cared for fish on many occasion and have never experienced this outcome nor have any of the people I fed it to. I often times will smoke my "skanky" fish if it no longer meets my sashimi, ceviche or grilling preference.

You should get some allergy testing.........
maquinapescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
MrPatrick

question about YT prep

Have you had smoked YT since? May not be the fish, could be the smoke. You might have an issue with the smoke. I've known people to get a reaction from wood that Poison growing around it. Could have been the smoker if it wasn't clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Anaphylaxis isn't usually something that hits you the morning after a meal, assuming that is the timeline. You might have been treated for anaphylaxis but if that were truly what you had, I would suspect something else were the cause e.g. ANY medication (antibiotics to some old Motrin you might have popped that morning) taken at the time, something you had that morning for breakfast or something you inadvertently had contact with.

I have had some not very well cared for fish on many occasion and have never experienced this outcome nor have any of the people I fed it to. I often times will smoke my "skanky" fish if it no longer meets my sashimi, ceviche or grilling preference.

You should get some allergy testing.........
the time line was, about 11:15 pm I ate some smoked yellowtail, maybe a little later, drove to the shop I was working at to start work at midnight. Walked in the door and the guy I was relieving saw something wrong so I drove myself to the hospital. So it took a few minutes to hit but it came on pretty quickly. I have since eaten smoked tuna and YT and other smoked meats and fish. I do a lot of smoking myself. I went through extensive allergy testing as a teenager but I outgrew most of my allergies. I'll just make sure if I catch a YT I get it on ice quickly.