Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Jman805
Junior

New to the Game

Hello All! I found this site a few weeks ago through SCSurffishing.com and love all the information here about kayak fishing. My name is Josh and I'm up in Ventura County. I wanted to introduce myself and contribute as much as I can to kayak fishing. I mostly fish out of CI Harbor and hit Lake Castaic on occasion, but I want to start going to Arco Island off of State Beaches. I found that my kayak wasn't the best design for open ocean (fished it once but haven't done it in a year or so), so I am looking to upgrade. Currently I fish out of a Future Beach 120 I got as a gift 3 or 4 years ago (before they made the angler model) and I am ready for something a bit bigger to handle some kelp fishing. I would really appreciate some advice on what kayaks I should be looking for with a budget around $400, also I'm 5'11 145lbs (if that helps in kayak advise). I can't wait to contribute more in the future! -Josh
Jman805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

If your serious about kayakfishin' then do yourself a favor and save up some more money and buy a name brand and something that will perform in open water. Unfortunately that means spending ALOT more money...but like I said if your serious about this...it will be totally worth it.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

+1

Save up a lot more money and buy solid fishing kayak, *once*.

I went the *buy-it-twice* routine not all that long ago. Fortunately, my sons decided they wanted to use my 1st yak, which is much more suited for them, than myself.

Also, just make sure you have enough cash left over to buy yourself a high quality PFD and never paddle without it....ever!

Welcome aboard!
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman805 View Post
Hello All! I found this site a few weeks ago through SCSurffishing.com and love all the information here about kayak fishing. My name is Josh and I'm up in Ventura County. I wanted to introduce myself and contribute as much as I can to kayak fishing. I mostly fish out of CI Harbor and hit Lake Castaic on occasion, but I want to start going to Arco Island off of State Beaches. I found that my kayak wasn't the best design for open ocean (fished it once but haven't done it in a year or so), so I am looking to upgrade. Currently I fish out of a Future Beach 120 I got as a gift 3 or 4 years ago (before they made the angler model) and I am ready for something a bit bigger to handle some kelp fishing. I would really appreciate some advice on what kayaks I should be looking for with a budget around $400, also I'm 5'11 145lbs (if that helps in kayak advise). I can't wait to contribute more in the future! -Josh
Hey Josh,

I live around the Malibu area, lets link up and fish around there when your all rigged up and ready for the ocean. Always helps to go out with a few people that have done it before. I know I benefited from going with friends who are very experienced to solve for little problems you may encounter once out on the water.

My recommendation if you will be doing any surf launching is to get a kayak with a hatches so you can stow your fishing gear when you launch and come in. You may not flip every time, but the one time you do it's better to save all your reels and untethered gear from the sandy death.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Jman805
Junior

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am definitely serious about it, so I am going to go ahead and keep saving up. Denis, that would be great to link when I am rigged and ready to go. Generally I should be looking at Hobies, Malibu fish n dive, and Ocean Kayak prowlers or any specific dimensions I should be looking at? Is a good rule of thumb 30 width and 12+ length? Thanks again for the help everyone.
Jman805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Take a few minutes or hours and do it right, go to OEX Sunset Beach and talk to them, test ride a few, ask about electronics and educate your self, do it right the first time. This process will save you money and frustration in the long run. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

IMO you don't need to save a lot of money for a decent kayak. You can pick up a used Malibu model for around $500, give or take, depending on model year and what's included. You can even wait for the very popular OEX blem sale and buy a new one at an excellent price. They are very stable and fishable, but their stability costs a bit of speed. Well worth the money if you aren't planning on long distance trips.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote