Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Zfish03

Costa Rica fishing advice

Hey All,
My girl and I are doing a trip to the Nicoya peninsula the first week of June. We have 5 full days and I plan to spend most them on the beach at Nosara and Samara. I'm looking forward to getting a line wet. I looked at the fishing charters but most of them are $500-800 for a few hours...which is fine for a group but its just me and she doesn't fish lol. I'm sure there are pangas that might be a better deal for one person fishing but I can't seem to find info online that confirms it.

I hear the surf fishing there is pretty epic too. Not sure what kinda of surf fishing gear to bring but I'm expecting the fish are bigger than barred surf perch As far as license goes, it looks like I can buy it online.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
I'll post up some pictures when I get back, thanks fellas.
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Druko

You'll have an epic time fishing from the shore. Bring Top water plugs, hard baits and Krocs and get ready to pull on lots of fish.
Druko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Podaker

I was just down there in January, fishing was great. I went kayak fishing at a small town at the tip of the peninsula. You should be able to find a panga boat to take you out for a half day, just talk to the locals. Everyone there is super cool and love fishing. I couldn't find much info before I got there, but once your there someone should be able to help.
What I can tell you as far as tackle is bring lots of plastic swimbaits. They went nuts over those things. Bring poppers and topwater lures. If your fishing the surf look for birds crashing on bait. Have fun that place is awesome, can't wait to go back.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You might try contacting CR Yaker here on BWE, he lives there and might be able to help you out.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Zfish03

Awesome thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking I'll pack my Penn Battle, I think size 2000 or 3000, with some braid and some fluro. Or should I bring a bigger gun?
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
CR Yaker

You'll love it. It's rainy season now. In fact, here in Jaco it just rained tonight after a two week drought, so it's back on. Should start to see more big thunderstorms. But that's always later afternoon to early evening. Plenty of sunshine the first half of the day. Probably even more so in the Guanacaste area. Hopefully your flying into Liberia because of the active Volcano effecting the San Jose airport at times.
I think Samara is your better beach area for access to fishing. There is a kayak outfit there, look online.
I wouldn't bring too much equipment. A two piece rod and reel is fine. Maybe a few lures like a surface plug casting in the rocks, see if a Rooster will attack it.
The best shore fishing is live bait for Corvina or Snook. Not sure what the river situation is there. You could also try bottom fishing off the surf with some shrimp for some African Pompano.
A sabiki set up might do well for catching bait during the lower surf. Fish mid high to high for best results.
You might ask one of the locals, they usually net at night, to take you out if your Spanish is good. Of course they are going to give you a Gringo price, but if your lucky you could get out half a day inshore fishing for $100.
Most import just relax and enjoy.
Pura Vida!!

Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 05-24-2016 at 08:18 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I'll be looking forward to your fish reports.

Happy Travels!

PS - the steak there is good too.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:13 AM   #8
CR Yaker

Forgot to mention. You don't need a license in Costa Rica if your fishing for your own personal consumption.
Game fishing on the big charters is different, they will make you buy one if around. There is no limit here.

Mark
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote