Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #21
MKNOTT

I think the camera is great. I'm sure it will be used by many on a boring day at work, AND DEFINITLY for that last min looks before a PM. You could always launch at Bird Rock Brad . Seriously though, I highly dought anybody will use the camera for criminal intent. Maybe my X-Wife, I guess I'll have to walk along the fence if I think she is looking. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #22
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Brad, your concern is legit, but I think you just want to keep everyone from finding out that you bring all those , and WSB, and Halibut, and Threshers, and.... well you get the idea, with you!lol

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #23
Brian Sanner

Very cool. I am planning on hitting up LJ in the november/December months and it is nice to be able to see the beach and surf conditions beforehand. The view is cool and like to see all those tourists on rented yaks wreck in the surf .
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
Louis Clarke II

It is and will be well appreciated…

Louis & Clarke
Louis Clarke II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #25
wavster

You can't stop the world from looking. Paparrazzi are everywhere....

Try bass fishing. No cameras there!
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #26
OEX
Administrator

OEX came up with the idea to install the camera several months ago. After finding out that there was a desire from the local La Jolla community and several agencies to have them installed in the area, but the budget constraints wouldn't allow it at the moment. We thought that as long as they were going to be installed at some point anyway, we might as well foot the bill and install it in a manner that would benefit the kayak fishermen and fisherwomen as well as city services. It allows SD Lifeguards and Emergency First Responders to monitor the boat launch traffic. City Parks and Recreation are able to respond and witness the conditions of the launch after storms and severe high tides.

OEX is excited about the boat launch camera and we're glad to see that so many of you are as well. We think you'll find it to be both beneficial as a kayak fisherman and fun to have access to view the beach at any time.

While the angle of the camera is adequate to monitor conditions of both the ocean and boat launch, you'll notice that the entire launch is not visible, so if anyone feels like Big Brother is watching please just set up and launch closer to the pylons.

OEX
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #27
T-Rex

I'm really stoked to be able to check out the conditions before leaving my house at 3:00 a.m. Most surf cams are pretty worthless at night, but this one is a pleasant surprise...a good amount of detail is visible because of the lights. Big thanks OEX!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #28
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

A thing to note - the webcam has an IR, but it's not that great in the pitch darkness. It's OK when the lights on the hotel are on, and I'm hoping it will be somewhat OK with the moonlight. We're yet to see that.

But keep in mind - now that we have this webcam, we can always get more expensive camera and the webserver that can reeeeeally see in the dark... $$$ is the only problem, but if all of us pitch in a little?? I'd be willing

I'm very happy to see the overwhelmingly positive response to the camera.

What it took was:

... a big pile of $$$ provided by OEX. THANK YOU!

... an awesome patronage from La Jolla Shores Hotel. Please remember this and cut down the noise and volume on your stereo when pulling in to launch at 4:00 AM . A ton of emails back and forth, multiple meetings. THANK YOU!

... 5 quotes from different Video Equipment Installation companies. Another ton of emails back and forth, hours on the phone and meetings explaining what's really important that this camera has. Big thanks to DVSS Video Security folks for delivering what we need. Great folks to deal with, professional and dependable. Big thank you to David Lugan - http://www.dvss.net/

... hours of configuring it all, days/weeks of test driving and fine tunning.

I'd like to thank to all the folks that helped out with the initial feedback, before it was announced on the board.

I'd also like to thank the WCW gang for being the Guinea pigs once we released it. Muchos gracias.

Brad's concern is a legit but I'd say very very remote.

We initially had the camera pointed more West along those wooden pilings...

Then we decided to move it up and more North, to cover more of the beach and the waterline. Keep in mind that the breaking swell will be moving further and closer to the webcam depending on the tides. We tried to have it pointed so it covers all the tide extremes.

For people that have a problem being on camera when launching and landing - as OEX said, there's a plenty of space closer to wooden pilings that is out of the webcam range. A second or two you'd be on the camera while passing should not be enough time for someone to actually recognize and ID your car, especially in the dark when we're launching most of the time. Be rest assured the camera was not put out there so we can see you - we're interested in swell, waves, wind and the general conditions at the launch. BWE and OEX believe that information is what will be helpful to the kayak fishing community, and that the benefits heavily outweigh the remotely possible bad things.

Personally, I doubt the thieves will be excited that they can now use the webcam to recognize the cars. I can't imagine them being all high tech, getting up at 4:00 AM to sit in front of their computer and "mark" the cars they're going to rob. If they're up for the dirty business, I would think they'd be much more inclined to actually be there at the ramp and see us launching - something we can't prevent anyways.
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #29
madscientist

Who said anything about thieves? But a non-trivial concern none the less.

It is not always possible to hug the pylons, depending on crowd or tide.

I think the original positioning was better, as people could just head north if they wanted to avoid the camera.

I was initially taken aback as the very first images I was shown clearly showed a fellow WCWer at the launch, with the surf barely visible. Perhaps that made me focus on the "spycam" aspect.

If looking at blurry tourist tail on that camera is your thing, there are much better websites out there that cater to that kink (and all the others)lol.

The dirty little secret is that there is almost never surf at LJ. Seriously, in almost 3 years and over 500 launches at LJ I have never turned back or even doubted if I could get out/back through the surf. Developing the skills and confidence to deal with surf is part of the challenge and part of the unique thrill of kayak fishing for ocean big game. As Andy has pointed out, if it gets too easy it loses some of its allure (I'm paraphrasing).

The technical accomplishment is superb. Well done Adi!

Last edited by madscientist; 10-16-2007 at 08:18 AM.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #30
Corey

Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #31
Aaron&Julie

Outstanding work

We love it. Just wish we could get out and use it's benefits.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #32
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

MS and WS,

You guys really like each other...

This is the camera parade thread, please.
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 AM   #33
wavster

wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #34
FISHIONADO

The camera is very cool. thanks!
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #35
Slay Rider

I just noticed this thread. Now at 3:00 is when I would typically be checking the surf conditions. Not much help today but it could get me on the water more in the evenings. Checking it from work and seeing glassy conditions would do the trick - especially if there were kayaks landing with fish on deck. Will there be any way to rewind so as to do a quick scan for incoming fish counts?

You guys must have gone to a huge amount of work and expense to get this feet accomplished -thank you all for the effort.

There is wisdom in Brad’s argument as well and especially for those who are new and entering into their first winter season.

Launch cam - so what’s next live satellite feed capable of monitoring the whole area? Or my personal favorite, schooling fish with tracking devises.
Thanks again - you make us all proud.

SR
Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #36
fishfinder

Webcam

Guess no more bong hits in the car :t he_finger:
fishfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #37
dorado50

I went out this morning and found myself hugging the pilings so as to not be on cam. Don't no why but I did feel as though I was being "watched". I for sure did'nt want to be seen "crashing" going out or coming in!! Paranoia in the early stage.Maybe if I bring in a decent fish I'll feel different, we'll see...........
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #38
DBITE

Nice!! I had been using the beach club's web cam but it's focused a bit south of the launch. This is much better.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #39
lamb

Cool, I didn't have a clue about their webcam. Good to know.

I haven't had much luck with it's video since yesterday morning. It is probably just down temporarily:

http://www.ljbtc.com/default.aspx?p=...&pageid=228655
Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #40
theyorkieterror

From way over here it looks like a great place. I had to go to rocky top to catch a view.
theyorkieterror is offline   Reply With Quote