Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
reel fishy

feedback from Hobie peddlers please

I have a Prowler 15 which I love, but have been considering getting a Hobie. No, I haven't ridden one yet, so that should be my next to do. But I am looking for feedback from those of you that have a Hobie how you like it compared to the paddle yaks.

I am 6'5" and 230, and usually start having some low back pain and glute pain after being on the water for 8 hrs plus. In the summer I'll hop off the yak and swim around a bit and that seems to help just to stretch out, but don't really want to do that in the winter.

I was thinking that maybe the Hobie would be better in this regard as it looks like you sit a little more reclined, and use your legs to peddle, thus getting more circulation. Anyone else have this problem before, and what have you found that helped? Anyone that used to have a paddle yak and switched to a Hobie peddler? How do you like it? It does seem like they are a lot faster than my P15. Guess I should hit up FastLane and test drive.

Thanks for your input.

reel fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
One Rev

I love the Hobie's because I can drink Newcastle's while moving to my next fishing hole.
I'm 6'3" and weigh about 225 and have never felt cramped at all. I feel the seating arrangement is more comfortable but the stock Hobie seat still sucks after 4 hours or so. One really good thing about the Hobie's is the built in Urinal right smack dab in the middle of the kayak.
Make sure you pedal all of the kayaks. I favor the outback (I've bought two) but the Revolution has it's plus's. The Adventure is just flat out fast but it's length is just a little to much for me.
So try them all and make a decision. You now have two choice's to buy Hobie's in San Diego Co. Fastlane on Mission Bay and OEX in Oceanside. See Nate in O-side, he will set you up with any testing you want.

Mike
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
bjoseph
Junior

hobie adventure and back pain

I have had intermittent chronic back pain due to scoliosis and kyphosis and subvertebral subluxation for forty years. As a result, I purchased a hobie adventure rather than a paddle kayak. I have had it out probably fifty times the last two years for as long as six hours at a time and have never had any back pain. This contrasts to sitting on an airplane for only an hour at a time on a regular basis and having tons of back pain. The Hobie's are fast, your hands are free, but you will probably be lazy like me and use your drive to go out through the surf, which works fine. I am also lazy and use it to come back through the surf, which works less fine. You will also probably find that you are less agile than a paddle kayak, unless you also use a paddle to turn and back up. The drive is a pain in the kelp and you have to watch the stringers and pull the paddles against the hull when you pass one. If I was purchasing a new kayak I would purchase the revolution which was not available when I bought the adventure. Ron Lane at Fast Lane is great about letting you test drive the equipment. He will even let you borrow one and take it for a surf launch. Check it out. It is great to have your hands free and when you add the turbo flippers it really moves out.
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Adam

Outback Review

I paddled an ocean kayak for 14 years and last year switched to a hobie outback. I love the outback. I think I fish more effectively because I can power with my legs while still dealing with my rods and tackle. It is nice to be able to troll while holding a fishing pole. Also, I am faster and can go further without getting tired. I cover much longer distances and am less aprehensive about running further offshore. The outback is also very comfortable, the only downfall is I can't stow my rods in the hull which was nice on my ocean kayak because I frequently go through heavy surf. Also, the outback is nearly impossible to ride down the face of a wave (at least for me). The outback is wide and sort of a "tank", but due to the peddle power it still gets me around pretty well. Paddling the outback is okay, but you definitely would not want to do it all the time. Paddling is more handy for fine movements around docks / rocks and fine tuning through surf.

With all that said, there is something very rewarding about paddling which I miss. I would like to also have a paddling kayak which I would probably use half the time. The peddling is quite a different experience that doesn't retain all the sort of ?primitive" / "purist" qualities of paddling out and catching your fish.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
steveooo

I have an extreme and a hobie adventure. The malibu is for sure the more comfortable yak. It has more deck space, it is a dryer ride, a better layout, and is pretty much the rolls royce of kayaks. I bought the adventure with the same idea as you, to get rid of back pain. Wrong. Back pain is the same in both yaks, maybe a little worse in the hobie due to you actually putting all your weight on your butt, rather than having it spread out over all your butt and legs. I have tried every comfy seat out there (GTS airwave, GTS pro) and lower back pain is the same in both yacks.

With that being said, when I fish I usually take the hobie. The main reason is endurance. I can fish a lot longer in the hobie. It is nice to not worry about wind or a lengthy paddle back after an extended fishing session. I can get out of the kayak after literally a 20 mile session and still have energy left for the day. Yes, the adventure is fast in a sprint, but I have found that when you peddle at a comfortable speed that will not burn you out, it is roughly the same speed as someone that paddles.

For lower back pain I have found that it is related a lot to your hamstring flexibility. Ever notice than when your back is killing you after an extended paddle that your hams are really tight too? I know it sucks and is boring but try doing the old-school touch your toes stretch a few times a day; for me it did not completely get rid of it, but did help alleviate it a little. (i knew my kinesiology exercise science degree would come in handy someday!)
Sorry the write up is so long, but I hope it helps a bit.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
One Rev

Adam, primitive went away for me when I turned 50 lol
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
reel fishy

Gracias

Thanks for the responses guys. I will have to test paddle a couple.

Will my Surf-to-Summit GTS seat work on the Hobie?

I will definitely do more old school stretches for the Hams too. Good advice. I have been doing some stretches for my back, and it does help, but the hamstrings do seem to be tight when my back starts hurting. Guess it all ties together.

Endurance plays a factor too, as I am completely exhausted after a long day paddling. I guess getting up at 3:00am, paddling all day and having lots of cervezas will do that to you. But there have been a few times in La Jolla where I drifted south almost without noticing it, and then had to battle uphill against the ripping current for a loooong time and felt like I wasn't making any progress and might not make it back. I did make it back to the launch every time no problem, but was beat tired afterwards. Seems like the peddling can be maintained for a longer period of time without getting worked. Larger muscle group I guess.

Again, thanks for your input, and anyone else feel free to chime in with your .02

Tight lines
Old 11-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
steveooo

Put a couple of deck loops behind you in the tank well and your sts seat will work fine.
Another thing that might be a factor is that you are 6'5" and 230.
I am 6'2" and 185, and sometimes feel a little cramped in the adventure. The seat well is a little skinny. I also owned an outback and felt the same way. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
bigderel
UberMember

I used to have a little back stiffness in my paddle yak, but after the initial period of getting used to the Hobie Adventure I don't experience that anymore. At 6'-4", 230 we're similar size...the Adventure fits me just fine. Nobody ever accused me of having a small ass either. Try the Revolution too, I hear the legroom is comparable and while not as fast, it has a better turning radius.
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
FISHIONADO

I have a Prowler 15 and a Hobie Outback. I can paddle my P15 faster than most Outback peddlers. The Outback is good for the bays but not La Jolla. The flipper system has a huge "neato factor" but only average "reliability factor". Mine broke once when I was 2.5 miles from the launch, I didn't have a hex wrench so I did the best I could with needle nose pliers, it would work for a 1/4 mile and then I would have to pull it out again. The Outback is a pig if you are paddling, you probably wouldn't be able to paddle into a small headwind. And where would you put a big fish if you caught one? I saw Jimijig-Jimi peddling in with a 40lb WSB in the back of his Revolution once, it looked like he was doing a wheelie. He said it was very sketchy. The Outback seems best suited for bass fishing. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Freeway
Junior

Those hobies are great kayaks and ranks at the top compared to the other kayaks. I think the peddle kayak will ease the discomfort of any back pain but you will get stiffness in your back legs arms and butt after and everywhere else after 8hrs.You are less likely to notice it on the water though. You will definetly notice the pluses of this type of kayak and be awed that their is a fishing kayak that makes everything that was a bit annoying or a hassle to dissappear. Their are alot of pluses to this kayak but the one that I most appreciate is when your about 5 miles out and the current is strong you don't have to worry that you would end up in mexico. The only downfall to a Hobie is landing. I haven't quite mastered it yet but who has. Rolling 1,2,3 times a year for a kodak moment is no big deal. I purchased my hobie for Ron in San Diego. Good Luck.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

If you are looking for a Hobie, look no further than here...

http://www.oeexpress.com/oceanside-store.html

Nate will take care of you!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #13
reel fishy

kayatank?

How about kayatank compatability? I have one of Jim Sammons bait tanks for my Prowler and it has worked great, but those that have the kayatank have said it is the best.

So the Hobie doesn't have in-hull storage for rods, game bag, etc? I guess the pedal drive pretty much nixes the storage and kayatank ideas...

Just as in boating, it's a matter of trade-offs.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
steveooo

Kayatank works. Big fish can go in the front hatch with a little gymnastic work. Other than that, internal storage is a no go.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #15
Adam

Yes, the storage does stink. I can't put my rods in the hull. Launching through heavy surf I put my reels in a dry bag, tie the rods to the kayak and assemble everything on the water. I hate this. Also, the kayak is a beast out of the water. I have a station wagon and I can barely lift the kayak onto the roof rack. These are drawbacks.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #16
bjoseph
Junior

kayatank and loading

The kayatank fits really well in the well right in front of the seat on the mirages. I use a fish blanket behind the seat for fish holding. Loading the adventure on top of a Dodge caravan is a girl dog, but I don't have the roof wheelie things. The roof wheelie things would probably make loading it way easier.
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #17
dorf

I have 2 outbacks. I have no problem loading them on top of each other on the top of my Explorer. I am 6'-3" 220 pounds
I have chronic low back pain and have no problems moving this yak.
I take my 2 boys out with me (talk about stability).
Storage: If you watch the Hobie video they store their rods in the front hatch, These are small fresh water rods. I use a home made bait tube that rides along the side out of the way.
The Outback comes with 4 rod holders molded (very handy). The Mirage drive came in very hand yesterday when we were coming back to Shelter Island from the Bait Barge. The current was ripping. If I was using a paddle with kids I would not have made it back. In fact I saw a guy with his kid on a Malibu turn back because he knew hew would not make it against the current.

Take one for a spin.
dorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #18
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

for BAY FISHING (or freshwater) the Hobie Mirage drive (pedal) kayaks are the best thing ever !!!

FOR ALL THE ADVANTAGES MENTIONED ABOVE.

AND TO ME, THE MAIN 2 ATTRIBUTES OF A HOBIE ARE:

1. STRENGTH & DURABILITY OF LEGS COMPLETELY DOMINATES THAT OF ARMS.
2. "HANDS-FREE" ASPECT ALLOWS FOR EASIER AND BETTER FISHING.

for OCEAN FISHING (requires launching/landing thru surf) the Hobies have pros & cons....

the "pros" are all the same as above.

however, surf "LANDING" is the big issue with a Mirage Drive Hobie kayak.

impossible to store rods inside hull. impossible to store large fish inside hull.

and it is best to NOT use pedal drive during surf landing. but the Hobie yaks are ABSOLUTE TANKS to paddle, so it makes landing in surf a challenge. they paddle so slow, waves always catch you from behind during landing, and the threat of rolling is always there.

for med to small surf, it can be managed in a Hobie, but requires more experience and burst paddle strength to quickly get in thru bigger surf.

for frequently tackling larger surf, a typical PADDLE kayak such as an Ocean Kayak Prowler or Extreme, or the Cobra FnD is likely a more capable kayak.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!

Last edited by Hobie-Pedaller; 11-25-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
peguinpower
bing!

I have a Hobie Revolution. Owned it for a year. I love the boat, but I will try to give you an un-biased review.

First, they are not all that fast. I fish with people with folks who paddle Prowler 15s and Malibu Xtremes. You'll blow them away in sprints, but for long hauls, its like a regular kayak. It has the potential for speed, but as with anything, it dont come for free. Start doing some squats and pack some power bars

Second, leg power gives you a lot more range and will let you plow thru those windy days. This is probably the best quality of a mirage drive kayak for me. I live where the Santa Ana winds blow big time. The mirage drive is my insurance.

Third, all other kayaks HAVE virtually NO MOVING PARTS. That means NO MAINTENANCE. Mirage drive kayaks have the rudder and the drive. And just like anything else, these will break every now and then. Nothing major, but you will experience the occasional rudder line fraying or stripped drive sprocket. Personally, I havent needed to fix anything save for torn flippers, but know of people who have.

Fourth, is fishing HANDs FREE the shitz? Its ok. I miss it when I leave my pedals at home and try to get an upper body work out.

Lastly, if you are already a strong paddler, you may not want to spend 1500 for a mirage drive kayak.

The Revolution will take four 7 foot rods with reels into the front hatch. Access is ok, not super easy, but ok. You'll need rod socks when storing rod in there as the hull will scratch up the rods bad after a few go's.

Surf launching and landing, no problem. The Revo paddles pretty good. Not too different from a Prowler 13 or a Tarpon 140. It aint a surfski

I'm a middle aged 160 pound desk jockey. I needed it
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #20
AYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel fishy View Post
How about kayatank compatability? I have one of Jim Sammons bait tanks for my Prowler and it has worked great, but those that have the kayatank have said it is the best.

We make Kayatanks for the Outback, Adventure, Revolution, and Outfitter. As long as its a new outback we have a tank, if you buy used there is a chance that it may be a model that We do not have a KayaTank for.

10am-6pm Monday- Friday
AYS is offline   Reply With Quote