Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
bubbacee7

Bubbacee's SD Bay Report July 22

Happy Saturday My Fishing Brothers and Sisters.

Fishingmike had to work today so I had to go solo. Not the same without my brother. Launched from Kellog Beach at about 6:00 am. Again no one there. Despite the marine layer the morning, the water was warm and there was a light breeze. My goal today was to head out to the jetty and see what I could do out there. Tide was just starting to come in.

Trolled my crocodile on the way out. Once I got out to the lower range marker I noticed there was lots of grass and kelp floating around. Charter boats racing out to the bait barge. Did not see any yakers out. Did not get any bites on the troll like I usually do through the lower range marker. Lots of bait fish jumping out of the water. Least Terns diving everywhere for bait.

After crossing the channel I hit a school of macks. Caught three in short order. All on my crocodile. After catching my second one I cast my croc out to start trolling again and my third mack hit as soon as the croc hit the water.

Made it out to the jetty area. Holy crap it is a long way fighting the incoming tide. Made it though and glad that I did as I had a lot of room to fish. Through a 4 inch Ghost shrimp and let it drift on the bottom. 13.5 inch sandie hit it hard and gave a good fight. Caught 2 more sandies there and 3 spotties. Of the 6 four were 12 -13.5 inches. Not going to lie to you all. My body got tired getting back to my spot to drift. Made my way back in towards the shoal at the lower range marker. That was about 10:10. Caught several more spotties in that spot.

Our brothers and sisters must have been at Comic Con because still did not see but a couple on the water.

Total for the day: 3 mack, 3 sandies, and and 8 spotties.

Met some fellow yakers today Ryan and Jake. Our people are good to one another and hope we all recognize it. When I fish solo I have a process to get my yak on my car. More work and harder but I get my yak up by myself. Jake was about to leave when he stopped his truck, got out and offered to help. After working my way out to the jetty I was a little spent so was glad to take him up on his offer. Thank you my new friend and fishing brother.

If my report is too long my apologies. Just trying to share.

Fish well my friends!!!
Attached Images

bubbacee7 is offline   Reply With Quote