Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Jr+2
Junior

Help with seat and paddle purchase

Looking to buy a paddle and seat for my new kayaks

Suggestions on a light paddle and a very comfortable seat would be very appreciated. I am new to the sport and can't wait to hit the water. Also is there female and male paddles? I ask because my fiancé will be ridding her kayak as well.
Jr+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

it depends on your size. im 6'7" and have a 240cm shaft, my wife is 5'5" and uses a 230. i would like to find a 250 or 260, but the 240 works fine for now. check out bending branches, werner and BPS even had some off brand types that felt decent. id suggest a large blade over a skinny one. and try to get a carbon fiber or composit handle. glass is heay.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Jr+2
Junior

Thanks for the info. The 240 sounds like it should work for me (5'8") and my fiancé is 5'5" so the 230 will work for her perfect. Do you have any suggestions on a comfortable seat? Thanks again I am trying to soak up as much information as possible I have been like a kid in a candy store since I got the x-factor saturady.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

5"8 I would go with 230cm There are some good seats to choose from. I stock 8 to choose from.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
jorluivil

Whatever you do don't go cheap on the seat or paddle, you'll end up spending more on the long run by doing that. I'm not saying you should get the most expensive paddle out there but you would be extremely surprised at how much a few ounces can make when you're holding that paddle for hours at time.

When choosing a seat make sure you choose one that's comfortable, it should ride high and hug your back. I spend an average of 6-9 hours on the water and even with a butt cushion the stock Hobie seat starts to get uncomfortable right into the 6th hour. Whatever you get make sure you go see Andy and the OEX Team, they'll hook you up.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Jr+2
Junior

Soaking up the info

Thanks, you hit it right on the head. I was really trying to avoid going cheap because I knew I would have to replace them with something of better quality sooner than later so why waist the money on something I am not going to be happy with. Are there any good places to look for slightly used products.(Just in case my fiance dosen't take to it, she heard about the attack up North)

After the way Andy helped me out and had the patience to answer all my questions at the sale I wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else for any future new purchases.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Chuck D

Hey there buddy! Good to hear you are pumped up about your Kayaks. I am sure you and your family have some sweet adventures coming up in the near future. Just my 2 cents but the SeaAirSports Seats are always a good quality choice and I like the Werner paddles at OEX or REI. Keep touch!
Chuck
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Jr+2
Junior

Thanks Chuck it was nice talking to you and thanks for the info. It took a lot of patience but ended up walking out of there with (2) 2012 X-factors
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Chuck D

I sure am jealous but am glad you ended up with the kayaks you wanted. I look forward to taking out my second choice the x13 this weekend for some butts. Keep touch!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Take a trip down to OEX sunset beach Andy can set you up right, and see what they got. Jorge is correct, get the best that you can, a good seat and paddle make a huge difference.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote