Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Argentcroix
Junior

Clothing choices?

Total newb here so as I contemplate the myriad choices of yaks, gear, rigging, and such I thought I would get some input on clothing choices for yak fishing. I am aiming for la jolla (while we still can) and mission bay. Dry tops? Wet suits? Paddle pants? Camo paint and a coat of break-free? What recommendations do you guys have for a beginner?
Argentcroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
flydigital

Welcome..

Lots of choices but if you want to be warm, dry and comfortable I would really recommend breathable stockingfoot waders with a paddle jacket over the top... layer up underneith as needed (non-cotton is best). Works all year 'round even in the heat of summer (just take off the jacket and wear shorts under the waders). Protects from the sun too. If you get waders make sure to get some shoes to go over the wader's booties to protect them from ripping (I use thin diving shoes).

If you're not into waders then your can do paddle pants (but your back/butt will get wet and cold), or a full wetsuit (can get really cold if its windy). In the summers (if the water ever warms up) you can get away with shorts and t-shirt (and lots of sunscreen).

If you stick with kayak fishing you are going to get the wader setup eventually so might as well start off with it from the get go and save some money! There is a good deal on hodgman zipper waders right now.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

I would go with the hodgman waders with the zipper. I love mine and I couldn't fish as hard without them, because I'm not worried about getting wet. I agree with flydigital start off with em'.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
lamb

the key is in layers. You've got to stay warm to be comfortable, yet you don't want to be cooking out there when the sun is out. You need sun protection, good hat is a must, plus sunscreen all the time.

I know some guys still like 'em, but I think wet suite is not for colder months. You're better of dry. You'll get splashed on a lot, so count on that. Waders are more and more popular, and that solves your problem for lower 2/3rds of the body - good splash jacket on the top, multiple layers underneath, and you're good. Waders are nice as you can wear whatever you want under them. When it gets hot, you splash water over them to cool off. Do wear you PFD all the time, you may end up in the water. Think safety first when picking out what to wear when out on the water.

Welcome to BWE
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Breathable zip waders, Kokatat Pac lite Goretex top, and some fleece...
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
GregAndrew

What they all said plus, don't buy a cheap paddle jacket either. You want one that is very breathable like GoreTex or similar with cuffs neck and waist that form a good seal. It is aggravating as hell to reach into your bait tank and have the water run up your sleeve and soak your clothing layers. And in warmer weather, a jacket that does not breathe well will keep you as wet as nothing at all.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
Argentcroix
Junior

Greg, I guess I am still fighting somantics. When you say paddle jacket, I think in terms of http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-T...7&category=177

But you are talking sealed neck and wrists which I thn is more like a dry top. http://www.outdoorplay.com/Stohlquis...7&category=176
Is the drytop the better choice? Thanks all for the welcome and the input!
Argentcroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
greenscales
greenscales

If you know you are hooked, then invest.

Where I concur - I also welcome you to the kayak fishing community. I would emphasize the previous comment about the zippered waders - very handy on long days. I have paddle pants, and they aren't that great for fishing on a SOT, except for sun protection in warm water/hotter days. Water gets in the legs at launch or when you hang your legs over the side--no matter how good of a seal you seem to have between the booties and the pants. Definitely buying something that goes over the booties is key as well. I also agree w/layering for warmth and the ability to shed shirts underneath the top as weather/paddling conditions change, so make certain your outer shells aren't too tight to have inner clothing.

The Top. First go to OEX and check out the gear - support those that support the site. Remember most paddle gear has been designed for Whitewater or long distance touring, where the activities are more consistent. On the tops, things to consider - breath-ability in the neck. Dry tops for whitewater have taller & tighter gaskets that feel constrictive for what we do and doesn't allow any heat to escape while paddling. Unless you are planning on rolling your kayak a lot or taking multiple waves over your head, make sure the neck is somewhat loose and has a Velcro closure to tighten. However, I recommend the opposite for the wrists if you plan on pulling lobster nets or fishing long hours in cooler waters. If you do not have the tighter gaskets at the wrists, then water will often run down your sleeves from the paddle and definitely when you need to grab things below the water level. Wet sleeves on your inner clothing sucks after just a few hours when bugging on cold nights. Cool feature on two of my tops - waterproof zippers on the chest. They allow me to open them for airflow during the paddles, but are water tight. I also have one that is actually a jacket w/hood that I love when their is a heavy marine layer, even though it doesn't have the tight wrist closure. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...f-For-Men.html The inner waist gaskets aren't really a benefit w/waders - used for paddling pants or sit-inside kayaks w/white water gaskets. But you do want to use the waist belt on the waders, or flip the suspenders down to wrap around the waist instead.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Again, welcome to the sport.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote