Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
spottie_slayer

Central coast info

Going on a quick trip next week to San Simeon, Monterey, and Santa Cruz. No yak just shore pound. Any tips,tricks, or spots you're willing to share are greatly appreciated.
spottie_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Dave Legacy

There's no fishing I enjoy more than fishing for Lingcod from shore along the Central Coast. There's not too much to know, but here are a couple tips:

Use bass gear to throw big weedless swimbaits 5-6" in length. Don't skimp on your fluoro leader and button down your drag all the way; They'll take you into the rocks. Don't fish from a spot you can't retrieve a fish from (ex. High vantage rocks w/waterline access) unless you have a long net or gaff. Cast to deep holes in the rocks, right into the hard cover, and keep working it up to your feet. I caught a huge ling this year in 3-4' of water right under my feet.

Have fun and don't be self-conscious if you're the only guy around using a bass rod. From what I've seen over the many times I've fished in Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur, bait fishing is the go-to local technique.

Last edited by Dave Legacy; 07-05-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
spottie_slayer

Thanks Dave
Exactly what I wanted to hear!
spottie_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote