Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
ratdog

Fishless fishing report

Got out this morning and headed to the winter hunting grounds. worked from 90 to 120 ft for about 2 1/2 hours with no signs of life except for egg sacks. Moved south and west about 3/4 of a mile to 136ft near some lobster bouys. Bouncing the b/w 6x off of the bottom for about an hr when I feel a snag then some fishy movement. The line is really loaded down but its coming up very slowly, gets to the surface and its a huge foul hooked butt! I nearly $hit my waders at the size of it! I'm nervous as hell but I take my time, bring it to the side, keeping the head in the water, miss my first gaff shot, wait for it to get closer and wack it the second time...the butt freaaking explode in the water, jumps into the side of my kayak and snaps my line and gone all in a split second. I know better.. that I should of backed off my drag but in my panic I didn't remember. I've never fished for Halibut nor have I ever come face to face with one, this was forsure a trophy, and it just laughed at my dumb a$$.

Edit: Only 3 other kayaks out this morning, water vis wasn't good at all. saw lots of whales and after I lost my mojo from missing the butt, the post last month about a guy who got flipped out of his kayak by a whale started to mess with my mind! I normally don't mind being on the water by myself but I would recommend the buddy system with days like today. JMHO

Last edited by ratdog; 01-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
old_rookie

Congrats on hooking up with a halibut. Now you have some experience dealing with one. Take a look at one of the videos by GregAndrew if you haven't already - I think he is the halibut whisperer.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
theluckypig

ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Congrats on hooking up with a halibut. Now you have some experience dealing with one. Take a look at one of the videos by GregAndrew if you haven't already - I think he is the halibut whisperer.
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Sounds exciting but what a sad turnout, i would of been crying.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
steveooo

Heart break city! Oh well, at least she will be a little bigger next time you get an opportunity to hookup with her. Thats a good thing when we are talking about fish, not a good thing when we are talking about women...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
GregAndrew

I feel for you brother. That happened to me several times about a year and a half ago. Then I hooked a nice one in the company of a real Halibut whisperer (Buttchaser) and learned my lesson.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote