Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Deamon

YeeOwww

When bugging, got tagged by a sting ray in the leg. No biggie for a while. Kept at it for another hour or so...Hobied back to my launch...cleaned, boiled & showered all the while thinking "I'm probably not going to sleep much tonight" as the pain was at a fairly high level. Once I laid down, heck no, it was unbearable. So I went on-line looking for a miracle cure (yeah right) and I definitely found it...place sting location under "as hot of water as you can handle for up to 10 minutes"...Instant relief. The water was so hot, my foot catching the trickle down could not take it but the sting location itself, no prob. I'd say 95% of the pain was taken away from that moment...The web page stated the sting ray's venom was protein based which could be neutralized by heat...it definitely worked for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sting Ray.jpg (62.5 KB, 172 views)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
jorluivil

Hot water remedy worked the best for me, wasn't to interested in peeing on myself.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
j mo

mind the rays

they can do some serious damage...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=7673
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
ctfphoto

I got stung in the foot while surf fishing a few years ago in Torrey Pines. Quite interesting, I would recommend it to everyone, just once tho.

I went to the ranger booth and told her I got stung, she said come in I have hot water for you. I said no, (I'm a Man) and decided to drive home a half hour away.

Well in that half hour the pain got very extreme, really intense.

I called my wife and said to boil some water.

As soon as I got home, I put my foot in the hottest water possible, and INSTANTLY the pain went away.

A very interesting experience for sure.

On a side note, The last 3 times I went bugging, I caught a baby stingray each time.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
bigbarrels

my last time out at LA Jolla there was a stingray in almost ankle deep water as I was launching. It swam a few feet away from me and then spun around to have another look at me. I think I will shuffle my feet for now on. Stingrays can be nasty. I meet a guy once who went into anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction) after being nailed by a stingray which lead to a full arrest (heart stopped) on the beach. With the aid of some people on the beach,lifeguards, and EMS he was brought back to life. So other than just localized pain, in rare cases their sting can be potentially lethal.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
kareem korn

Good post. To add, stingrays don't always just leave a nice little hole. Some umpteen years ago i got a 3" x 1/2" clean gash on my calf. They also secrete an anticoagulant that can keep your wound bleeding like a stuck pig for hours.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
romspacenut

Went through your waders Jim?
romspacenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Deamon

The nets in my lap with a keeper bug and sting ray in it. I'm securing the bug, of course! Seemingly in slow motion, in the corner of my eye, I see the rays tail poke out of the net and then slowly lunge at my leg. My mind is saying no way, no how can that thing be a threat and then my leg says hey stupid, something is poking me. Right through the wader and into my leg...laterally.

I let the fish go on with its life and said to myself..."learn from this fool, now deal with it"...

Kareem! Your traps do work brotha!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
maui jim

You know....I have caught a few stingrays and eels while hoopin'.....

But I had the forethought not to bring the hoopnet on baord without dumping out the stingray or the eel first....

Just a thought.....

I also know that a pot of boiling water is hot without touching the water....
Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
But I had the forethought not to bring the hoopnet on baord without dumping out the stingray or the eel first....
MJ, you think? Looks spacey enough on your boat but I don't have that luxury. I've dealt with no issues until now. Eels and sculpin get my full attention. But on a yak with a possible keeper bug in the hoop? That things coming onto the yak. Between bugs tailing out and an occasional hole appearing in the net (F-ing divers w/rebreathers?), I'm securing them as quickly as I can. Thanks though. Jim