Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
ship 4 brains

Mothership Trip - What Gear

I am going on the Islander this weekend. Does anybody have a suggestion as to gear to bring? Is it LJ yellow setup and bass gear too?
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Socalrobt

Well this is what I have brought on my trips this year. Halibut rig,Yoyo iron and a surface iron. I also brought two bass rods. I am thinking of bringing one more bass rod. This last weekend I was throwing plastics with staight 65 braid. The other bass rod I was throwing smaller plastics with 20 pound mono. I also caught a calico surface iron. Get ready to pull on some bass. Just throw right on top of the kelp and watch them explode on it. But I think the Yellows might show up or white sea bass. I heard that the White sea bass are biting there. So if you want, you might bring a live bait setup. I hope this helps you out. See you this weekend. My name is Robbie and I have a camo trident 15.
Socalrobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
robmandel

this is my third trip on the islander. it's an amazing trip, boat, crew, etc. the food is awesome. last two were 2.5 day trips so gearing for me will be a little different, as this one is a 1.5 day.

with the two days on the water, you have more time to explore options. like spending a day soaking bait and throwing iron you still have day 2 to hit the kelp and boilers. or vice versa. or drift for butts then whatever. 1 day of fishing limits options, though it's a long day for sure. you'll fish from 6ish to noon, eat while boat moves, then fish until dark.

as for gear: I'm bringing one bait rod (which can double as a yoyo stick) and one jig stick with a surface iron, and three bass sticks. two will be all spectra with short top shot and one mono for the swimmies. one bass rod is my heavier stick, with 65# spectra/30# flouro top shot for the slugs. you catch one bass on a topwater slug, you're hooked. the other is a lighter 50#/20# for the weedless jigs (warbait type). I don't like throwing the jigs into the boilers as they can and will hang on the rocks. and trying to pull out or break off that close is a little harrowing

so, that's 5 rods, which is probably too many. oh well. and, the thing is that you can leave stuff on the boat so spend the AM doing one thing, and then reload and swap out for the PM session. very cool.

I really go there to target the calicos so I focus more on the bass stuff. probably won't even bring the bait tank, maybe just my plano bait bucket thingy as I'll only need a few baits. since you do alot of drfiting, as the boat sets down drift, you'll get there and I won't need to paddle much dragging the bucket.

one thing I do recommend is to bring waders and/splash pants and jacket as well as something to keep warm. I know, it's june and should be warm. but it can get breezy at times.

I always bring way too much stuff. figure this time I'm going to go lighter. a few irons, box of plastics, a few hooks/weights, and that's about it. if the yellows are showing, I might give that a shot. just don't want to waste time chasing them when the bass are calling. also, listen to the skipper and crew. they know their shit. they'll put you in a good spot and tell you what's happening.

see you on friday. i'll be on the wheat trident 15.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
ship 4 brains

Good info guys. I am fairly new to this game. I hope I can pick your brains for more info and techniques on the boat over a few beers. My name is Jeff and I'll be on the blue OK T15.
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote