Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
greenscales
greenscales

Yes

Yes. Punta Baja is an easy 20 minutes out of the way with cheap lodging, plus fuel and ice in El Rosario - not a fan of the food in town though - but the home made breakfast empanadas at PB are great. Launch is funky, break wall, but angled where it allows the surge from swell to circle around back to the beach launch and there are rocks in your path, so you need to time between sets. It more of a wind break. I do not see any lodging at Punta San Antonio though, but they hadn't finished the building around the launch, it is essentially a micro-port with docs for pangas and ocean access is through a 3' shallow channel w/a beach wall with surge - so almost as easy to launch from a beach, just not good vehicle access. PST is Puerto Santo Thomas, just South of Ensenada. Not far enough South to justify the drive from the highway to the beach and back on a long trip.
If fishing isn't great South, then this could be a day long meat trip on the way back for shallow water rockfish. I have multiple high points for reefs marked off PB loaded with fish, but strong upwelling currents, and you need to back off if you see a Panga because they are trying to mark my GPS coordinates on handhelds when I am fishing small holes and ridges they can't dead reckon on. I have only been nearshore for SA, but Sac reef breaks the surface, so easy to find. Supposedly the best Calico fishing anywhere and I have seen the pangas come back loaded with WSB & Buts netted from the shallows between the island and the beach.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote