Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
kanvery
Junior

First post and Mexico questions!

Hey guys this is my first post but I've been doing some serious research on this site for the past month or so. I'm on the east coast so some of the lures and techniques you guys are using are almost foreign and it's great to learn so much.
Anyways, me and my girlfriend are headed to Kino Bay near Hermosillo and San Carlos for the entire summer and I think you guys would have the most information about the area. I've searched all over and have only found little bits of info here and there.
First the species, I don't exactly know what runs in that region at that time of year. Originally I thought roosterfish but no I think it's more white seabass, yellowtail, and grouper. I really have no idea so any help here is greatly appreciated. Also, is there a point where the water is way too warm and the doldrums set in? Second, as far as catching bait goes I'll bring some squid jigs and sabikis but here on the east coast any sabiki bigger that size 6 hook or 6lb running line is for finding bait for pelagics. That being said I was wondering what size you guys use that you may also be able to land a WSB by accident.
Sorry if this is a lot but I'm lost in the sauce and am really going off of my fishing experience and the little bit I read around the web. Also, I hear the tide goes waaayyyyy out when it goes out. What kind of depth finder would you recommend with the minimum detail to find bait and depth changes in areas like this. Thanks in advance and I'll keep doing some searching!
kanvery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Fiskadoro

You are in for some great fishing. Always wanted to fish there. Look up fishing the midriff islands.

I don't know much about fishing inside Kino Bay itself but outside it should be great fishing for Yellowtail, other jacks and various groupers. They don't call the west side of Tiburon island Yellowtail Alley for nothing.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
kanvery
Junior

Thanks Jim! Does anyone know how the paddling is there? Is a mothership mandatory or can I manage if I time trips depending on tides and wind?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Land a wsb by accident?

Are you asking what size sabiki may also land a wsb? Good luck with that! size 6 sabikis will get your mackerals, any smaller finbaits you will want to use at least a 12. I usually use a 16. Another hint, if you opt to use the cheap sabikis with the small beads by the hook, snap the beads off with your needlenose. The beads hit the inside of small finbaits mouths and pops their mouths open before hook set when jigging.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Summer is going to sweltering, HOT. Most people fish offshore for dorado and marlin. I am considering a Fall trip down there.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ghlight=carlos
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
naztpen
Junior

I fish down in Kino but not in summer. The dorado are around but at least 20 miles out. Not a lot of fishing opportunities in close but the bay is fun to kayak. Lots of strong currents around Tiburon Island.
naztpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
PapaDave

Okay, so, following the trail of posts from the link there is mention of seeting up trips from a mothership to fish down there. However, those posts are from 2006. Are those trips still running?
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
naztpen
Junior

I don't know of any commercial guys. Mostly just locals going out to fish. Might find some pangas.
naztpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
kanvery
Junior

Thats too bad to hear about the fishing in the summertime. Would you recommend I check out some other spots further north or south? Also, I hear the tide goes waaayyyyy out, do you think I could paddle to any reefs or dropoffs from shore?