Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Newport 6/29: went for rockies and got some Butt! !

The goal Sunday was to get some rockies outside the harbor. Headed out from kids beach. Got on the water, hit up the barge and got a scoop of squid for $10! Head out and see a few others fishing around 150+. Met Cell128 and we stuck together. He already had a few. I got one right away, then I started feeling sick ( Rockstar on an empty stomach not a good idea). While I'm throwing up a Rockstar, Jaime is up to 7!! Meanwhile, my ff and livewell went out, realized a wire came out of my battery plug!! Not long until all the squid died. Jaime then heads into the harbor, while I stayed out. In between what seemed like 30 junk fish (lizard fish and tomcod), I get one more rocky.

Then I decided to head into the harbor for some spotted bass. I got just past the barge and started throwing around the big hammer (5" on 1 oz lead). By this time the water was so clear you could see 20' down to t he bottom. So I was just messing around changing up retrieve speed to see the action on the swim bait. Just before I got it back to my yak, a halibut comes up and nailed it no more than a foot from my kayak!! He came up so fast he nearly jumped into my kayak. Measured out just over 22". Then called it a day. The halibut made up for a less than exciting rock fishing session!!

( sorry the pics are sideways, tried to rotate but didn't work)
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
cell128
lizard king

I told you barfing was good luck . Sounds like that halibut just couldn't wait to get wrapped up in a warm and cozy tortilla.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
I told you barfing was good luck . Sounds like that halibut just couldn't wait to get wrapped up in a warm and cozy tortilla.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Lol, no kidding. Last time I barfed was on my buddy's boat and that day I loaded up on some fat sculpin, so it must be good luck.

Same thing last time, Rockstar on empty stomach, and you'd think I'd learn my lesson!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
Jaysuuun
Junior

Nice score on the halibut!
Jaysuuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysuuun View Post
Nice score on the halibut!
Thanks. I was casting towards the rocks and into eel grass hoping for a few spotties, so the halibut really got me by surprise!