Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
seck66
Junior

YT on the bottom 7/28 in LJ

Started out early Saturday just before 6AM. Managed to get 6-8 GBs of varying sizes. Went out to the LJ Canyon as I hadn't been out there for a while. Spent about 30 minutes working the entire water column with jigs, fly-line and dropper.

Gave up and headed south to the NW Corner. Trolled the whole way w/ no action. Wind was picking up and after trying a few spots, I told myself I'd just a stay a little longer. I settled in a spot and set a bait on the bottom. After untying a self-inflicted mess in one of my reels, I setup a flyline and let that bait go. That guy insisted on circling the yak so I had to constantly move my rods so they didn't tangle. Then my setup on the bottom began to make some noise. I couldn't get to the rod right away because I was working with the flyline. I wanted to get it close enough so it wouldn't be a problem or far enough away so they wouldn't tangle.

By the time I was satisfied with the separation, my other reel was really going. I initially thought it was a shark b/c of the pull and experience with others that I'd hooked on the bottom. After 10+ minutes of up and down, circling the yak I finally saw something too small to be a shark and realized it was a YT.

I've never hooked a YT on the bottom. Other species sure, (halibut, lingcod, various rock fish and sharks). I learn something new every time I go out...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FC...zWaAVUW8G8XfZk
seck66 is offline   Reply With Quote