Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
jbl_91762

Watersnake Trolling Motor

So I discovered this on Ebay while looking for a 180 drive and looks pretty good for the price. I mean when you compare the price of a Bixby or others costing well over $1k this is not bad for $300 (minus battery). I actually bought a trolling motor a few years ago and modding it like this but never got around to it. Im older then many of you and I can handle the 3-5 miles romps but it would be nice lol. Yeah I know you gotta register it but many here have never been hassled.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Watersnake-....c100005.m1851
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
jhernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
So I discovered this on Ebay while looking for a 180 drive and looks pretty good for the price. I mean when you compare the price of a Bixby or others costing well over $1k this is not bad for $300 (minus battery). I actually bought a trolling motor a few years ago and modding it like this but never got around to it. Im older then many of you and I can handle the 3-5 miles romps but it would be nice lol. Yeah I know you gotta register it but many here have never been hassled.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Watersnake-....c100005.m1851
I actually know some one who got this, and they love it makes it a ease to head back to the launch ramp
jhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
Raskal311

A few buddies had those and it’s pretty weak. But diy it for half the price, there isn’t a lot to it. Now keep in mind a good lithium battery is like $300-400 if you want to compare so that $1000 Bixby isn’t as far off as you may think.

Also FYI I plan to post a torqeedo evolve for sale for $850 soon
Old 08-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
Polychrest
Junior

I don’t have any experience with the water snake but I do with the guy selling them. He spams kayak DIY and the various Hobie Facebook groups with these. When asked to stop he became combative and responded like a child. If you do purchase I wouldn’t expect a smooth support experience from him.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
YTHunter
Carlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
A few buddies had those and it’s pretty weak. But diy it for half the price, there isn’t a lot to it. Now keep in mind a good lithium battery is like $300-400 if you want to compare so that $1000 Bixby isn’t as far off as you may think.

Also FYI I plan to post a torqeedo evolve for sale for $850 soon
Any of you out there have any experience with the larger lithium ion trolling motor batteries? I’ve been using a Minn Kota C30 motor for the pass few years with a 50AH lead acid battery with great results then switched over to a Bioenno LiFePO4 battery for a while. Went through three 40AH batteries and one of their 50AH battery’s before finally giving up and going back to my old trusty lead acid battery.

One thing I can say for Bioenno is the customer service was good. Each time a battery died they shipped out a replacement in a timely fashion. I also bought one of their 10 amp hour batteries for my fishfinder which has been working really well but for some reason there BMS was not holding up to my Minn Kota.
YTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
crashcrow

I have one that I shortened for my outback, never used it and ended up buying a solo skiff. $100 if you're interested, will include a hobie plug to install it into.
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcrow View Post
I have one that I shortened for my outback, never used it and ended up buying a solo skiff. $100 if you're interested, will include a hobie plug to install it into.
PM sent
Old 08-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
Any of you out there have any experience with the larger lithium ion trolling motor batteries? I’ve been using a Minn Kota C30 motor for the pass few years with a 50AH lead acid battery with great results then switched over to a Bioenno LiFePO4 battery for a while. Went through three 40AH batteries and one of their 50AH battery’s before finally giving up and going back to my old trusty lead acid battery.

One thing I can say for Bioenno is the customer service was good. Each time a battery died they shipped out a replacement in a timely fashion. I also bought one of their 10 amp hour batteries for my fishfinder which has been working really well but for some reason there BMS was not holding up to my Minn Kota.
If the cost of LI batteries are not a problem then IMO why not keep using and save the weight. However Im a believer in the trusty lead acid myself and i have several laying around from my buggy/atvs/motorcycles etc so I can use those. Besides I only plan on using it on trips back in from fishing. I dont mind putting in the effort to get out there lol.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:30 AM   #9
Cronus
Cheat to win

I have a watersnake 24#. It works great for me. It has high and low switch with high being to fast to troll with and low is perfect. On my Feelfree Lure 13.5 kayak. I like it, weighs like 6lbs. I was using a much older 24# thrust motor that was twice the weight.
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote