Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
surfisher

Favorite Rapala to troll ?

What is your favorite rapala to troll at kayak speed? Looking for one to use while trolling a live bait. I recently stuck a good yellow while trolling a cd-18 on a boat but clearly it would be difficult to do 6-7 knots on a kayak. Anybody have any suggestions on one that you can use at slower speeds and are kayak friendly?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Johnny Hirn

You could always just troll the real thing and pin on a greenback. If not i have trolled x-raps in the 5 inch size around succefully but you have to hot rod them with new hooks and split rings.
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
WestFork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hirn View Post
You could always just troll the real thing and pin on a greenback. If not i have trolled x-raps in the 5 inch size around succefully but you have to hot rod them with new hooks and split rings.
Johnny, can you be more specific about the hooks? Lighter or heavier than as sold, single or treble? Is the idea to go lighter with the hardware to get more action at lower speed? Thanks!
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
FISH11

Talking

Hi Brian. I used either a Rapala count down 5 1/2" magnum or a Rapala X Rap 5 1/2" magnum both in a green back mac color. I used to troll those a lot when bait was hard to find or in the shallower area when there were too many sea lions. Unfortunately I lost my last one, last summer to that pesky Hammerhead shark that was around LJ for most of the summer. Now I mostly catch enough live macs to out number the ones the frickin sea lions steal.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

I like these because they have wider lips and have better action than the big xraps at kayak speed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017...rb_top?ie=UTF8
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
PapaDave

Try an Xrap Mag 5 (if you can find them), they are smaller versions and don't take as much speed to get them down. Or a 10, those will work okay too.

If your interested in bass, troll one of these near the kelp or even in open areas...

https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Husky-...own+Deep+Husky

Calico's love em...
Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
Johnny Hirn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestFork View Post
Johnny, can you be more specific about the hooks? Lighter or heavier than as sold, single or treble? Is the idea to go lighter with the hardware to get more action at lower speed? Thanks!
I forget the exact kind, but the hooks are slightely larger. It's just more important to get the beefed up thicker hooks if using the smaller x-raps so that you don't straighten out a hook. I cant remember for the life of me what hardware i used but the main goal was to strengthen it and try to keep weight generally the same.
Good luck
-Johnny
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
WestFork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hirn View Post
I forget the exact kind, but the hooks are slightely larger. It's just more important to get the beefed up thicker hooks if using the smaller x-raps so that you don't straighten out a hook. I cant remember for the life of me what hardware i used but the main goal was to strengthen it and try to keep weight generally the same.
Good luck
-Johnny
Thanks, Johnny! I got home last night and got out one and I could see right away what you meant, the hooks supplied are on the light side. Fewer but bigger hooks is a balancing act. :-)
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Baja_Traveler

Well, it's not a Rapala, but I picked up a few of these Williamson mackerel from Overstock bait the last order, cheap at 7 bucks. Haven't had a chance to tow one around yet - but I have high hopes. they are set up to easily install a stinger, which I'll be doing before use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPHiMOri3Y
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Not a Rapala, but for bass, big macs, bonito, cuda etc.. I've had pretty good luck with trolling shimano waxwings.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Warmurphy
Junior

I've had luck for bass with the shadow raps in the yellow perch color posted earlier. Little more of a topwater bite though than that deep diver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Well, it's not a Rapala, but I picked up a few of these Williamson mackerel from Overstock bait the last order, cheap at 7 bucks. Haven't had a chance to tow one around yet - but I have high hopes. they are set up to easily install a stinger, which I'll be doing before use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPHiMOri3Y
I bought a few also during their last sale. Will be interesting to tow around and see what happens.
Warmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Bajarick
Junior

I don't spend the time to use live bait but that's the best. I would love to hear how those Williamson soft baits work. Be sure to post up. They look great....but I've used lots of lures that look great and don't get hit. I just troll cheap rapala knockoffs and change out the hooks to 4X strong AND the split rings. The cheap ones and the small rapalas use junk that will get maybe one fish before they bend or open up. I don't worry about the balance. Lost two fish yesterday because the split rings came apart.
Bajarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

rapala

hard to beat a cd14 rapala blue mac color. catches everything and works everywhere. good luck jim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
dfroggy54
Rolly

X Rap Mag 20, Wahoo UV, and Blue Sardine so many yellowtail fell victim.. CD 14 Firetiger if your trying to catch threshers.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #15
John M

Rebel Jointed 4.5" silver blue. Change hooks.

http://www.rebellures.com/rebel-join...w-fishing-lure

This was Neil Kelly's favorite lure. He is the guy who wrote the original "Baja Catch"
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #16
taggermike

Yo-yo makes a line of salt water grade Chrystal minnows. Several sizes and colors in deep and shallow diving. They don't need a fast speed to work but do stay stable at higher speeds.

I've caught fish on them in LJ and sea of Cortez. Some work well casting too.
That said I've never done particularly well on plugs and generally only use them when I can't catch bait.
I've had more success trolling heavier swim baits.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote