Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Caseym

DIY Garage Craft Sabiki Rod

I was recently asked how I built my sabiki rods. Heres how....
I use about a 4 1/2' stick of 1/2" schedule 40 pvc.
I attach a cheap Shimano 1000 spinning reel with two hoseclamps, leaving enough butt on the rod to keep it in a rod holder, about 1' or more seems to work.
After mounting the reel, measure up about 6-8" and make a mark.
Loosen the hose clamps and either remove the reel or just rotate it to the opposite side.
Using a good size drill bit (not too small here) drill a hole where u made the mark. Now angle the bit so that the hole is drilled at angle in the direction the line travels.
Now either use a file or a pipe reamer to clean up the hole (you dont want any sharp edges that would cut or chaffe the line). Also file/ream the end the line passes through at the rod tip...itll save your line.
Rotate the reel back around so its lined up with the hole, tighten clamps.
Tie a small sinker to the reel line and feed it through the hole, and free spool out the end. Tie on a swivel.
Now tie a "bank" style sinker (bigger than 1/2") onto your sabiki rig.
Last step: Measure and cut your rig line down to a size that will keep the Swivel from being reeled onto the reel, yet allow the sinker to suck-up tight to the end of the pipe.
Once built test drop it a few times to make sure it pays out smooth. Yes the hooks will usually snag when reeled back in fully, but its not too hard to clear them and get em all reeled in, especially if theres only a few hooks.
Additionally, i use 10# line and I debarb my hooks. If you really want to get fancy you can paint your new rod then finish with a clear urethane to protect your new stick. I made one that resembles a mackerel pattern for a gift.
Sorry if its 'wordy', I dont know how else to describe the build.
Good Luck and have fun!
-Mazer[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.2 KB, 338 views)
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote